PDA

View Full Version : Vernon Castle WW-1 Airman, Silent Screen and Dance Star, to be remembered

Griff Murphey
02-05-2018, 07:06
100 years ago this February, Vernon Castle died at Carruthers Field here in Fort Worth. He was a decorated combat vet with two aerial victories in France and was a Croix de Guerre awardee. Castle was an internationally famous dancer and silent movie star before WW-1. A native of Norfolk, England, he had lived in the United States for many years. His most famous dance step that he and his wife Irene introduced was "The Castle Walk."

He was assigned as an instructor with the Imperial RFC in Canada. At Desoronto he had a crash which killed his student. After that he made a practice of putting his student in the rear 'SAFE' seat, while he rode in front, where a crash often resulted in the occupant being crushed by the engine, fuel tank, and collapsing upper wing. In the fall of 1917, he was one of 7,000 British, Canadian, and American volunteer members of the IRFC deployed to Fort Worth, Texas, where the Royal Flying Corps had built three training fields to escape the Canadian winter and kick start the US air training effort. On Feb. 15, 1918, he was instructing Cadet R. Peters of the US Army Air Service when he was killed avoiding a midair collision with another Jenny trainer.

On his arrival in Fort Worth he became the toast of the town and he and his pet monkey Jeff (who flew with him and survived the fatal crash uninjured) were termed the "most dynamic duo" in town by the local paper. Both he and the monkey were known for beating the drums at River Crest Country Club.

In 1939 Fred Astair and Ginger Rogers made a movie of his life, which was premiered in Fort Worth, Texas. Oddly, the movie leaves out his flying career entirely except for a vague reference to his fatal crash.

The Friends of the Royal Flying Corps Cemetery, the Fort Worth Museum of Aviation, and the Tarrant County Archives will hold an informal memorial service on Thursday, Feb. 15th, at 0800 with a prayer and toast to him at 0815, his time of death. The location will be the RFC Cemetery which is within Greenwood Memorial Park, located at White Settlement Road and University Blvd. All are welcome to attend and there is no cost.

clintonhater
02-05-2018, 10:11
In 1939 Fred Astair and Ginger Rogers made a movie of his life, which was premiered in Fort Worth, Texas. Oddly, the movie leaves out his flying career entirely except for a vague reference to his fatal crash.

Not really odd, because the film is a typical H'wood travesty. Ginger, enormously conceited by this point in her long career, refused to cut her hair short in the style Irene made world-famous, and insisted on flaunting the peroxide blonde she was known for in pictures, though as was widely known at the time, both of them were brunettes!

During their lifetimes, Irene was the more famous of the pair--so popular in advertising women's products, that she commanded fees as high as the biggest movie stars. She was a pretty fair actress herself, appearing in several films, including a WW I spy film I happen to have.

Griff Murphey
02-05-2018, 02:44
Not really odd, because the film is a typical H'wood travesty. Ginger, enormously conceited by this point in her long career, refused to cut her hair short in the style Irene made world-famous, and insisted on flaunting the peroxide blonde she was known for in pictures, though as was widely known at the time, both of them were brunettes!

During their lifetimes, Irene was the more famous of the pair--so popular in advertising women's products, that she commanded fees as high as the biggest movie stars. She was a pretty fair actress herself, appearing in several films, including a WW I spy film I happen to have.

Thanks - I knew she made movies into the 20's. Is that the movie PATRIA?

clintonhater
02-05-2018, 03:01
Thanks - I knew she made movies into the 20's. Is that the movie PATRIA?

That's the one I have, her first, and as she gained more acting experience, I'd guess her later ones were superior; however, Patria is the only one that survived, far as I know. (Survival rate of silent films is not above 10%.)

Dan Shapiro
02-06-2018, 01:21
The things you learn here...............from a bunch of "knuckle-dragging gun lovers".

Griff Murphey
02-07-2018, 04:30
The things you learn here...............from a bunch of "knuckle-dragging gun lovers".

There is a fairly recent (2009) book DANCING IN THE SKY by Canadian author CW Hunt which is a pretty interesting account of the Texas deployment of 7,000 British and Canadian personnel ( and not a few US volunteers) and over 200 planes to Cowtown in 1917. The book has a good deal of the dirt that went on, the CO was billeted "in the former quarters of Fort Worth's leading lady, and there were still bloodstains on the floor..." There was quite a furor when many RFC casualties were placed on the floor of the US Army hospital at Camp Bowie, which led to a confrontation in which Lord LT. COL. Wellesley was prepared to take RFC casualties "under armed guard" to the civil hospital. One of the Brits on the RFC staff found a fellow Brit in the US 36th Division as a supply officer who fiddled the books to transfer a good deal of motor transport to the Brits and Canucks.

Hunt avers that Castle had met a woman, Gwen Wilmot, in Canada, and planned a spring 1918 divorce with Irene, and a fall double wedding with another RFC couple.

One interesting story is that Castle and some officers drove to the city of Waxahachie for a visit. Castle's Rolls died but a local judge's chauffeur, Ely Green, quickly fixed a clogged fuel strainer. Ely happened to be black and inquired as to the possibility of flying with the RFC. Castle promised him that if he entered the US Army he would get him trained as a pilot. Green did enlist and arrived at the air base only to meet the ambulance carrying Castle's body out of the main gate. Sadly he spent the rest of the war as a stevedore on the docks in France as a private. That story is in FORT WORTH TEXASMOST by Leonard Sanders.

Castle may have foreseen his death, as he wrote a moving essay as to his reasons for serving, and made the remark "...I shall leave my Franklin to good Colonel Wanklyn..." (There actually was a COL. Fred Wanklyn).

Liam
02-07-2018, 05:30
I just had to look him up.

clintonhater
02-07-2018, 07:31
Hunt avers that Castle had met a woman, Gwen Wilmot, in Canada, and planned a spring 1918 divorce with Irene, and a fall double wedding with another RFC couple.

Was Gwen an heiress? Because the main thing the Castles had to sell wasn't their footwork, it was their class & respectability, which led the cream of high-society to attend their dance schools, patronize their night-club in NYC, etc. In 1918, the scandal of "another woman" would have destroyed his career, and therefor I'd bet the author has inflated this story beyond its real significance.

Griff Murphey
02-07-2018, 08:31
Hunt has no information in his book that would indicate there was a financial incentive but... Yes it would not have been good. And you might well wonder why Lord Lt. Col. Wellesley was exiled to Canada and thus wound up in Fort Worth. It seems he married his killed-in-action brother's widow in defiance of strict Church of England proscription.

jon_norstog
02-09-2018, 09:52
Good stories, Griff. If Castle had lived he could have gone to Hollywood and starred in the movies being made about the war in the air, like Hell's Angels

jn