PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have experince with these Made in India muskets, etc ?

blackhawknj
01-28-2018, 03:39
Has anyone used one for reenacting, shooting, etc ? Think of getting one to go along with my Made in Japan Charleville, the reviews I read on the web go from one extreme to another, I note most of the reviews are about 7 years old.

m1ashooter
01-28-2018, 04:07
Are you talking about the ones from Middlesex village?

blackhawknj
01-28-2018, 05:04
Yes. They seem to have the best selection.

k arga
01-29-2018, 02:59
go to traditional muzzleloading form, everthing you want to know will be there (lots )

ikesdad
01-31-2018, 12:24
If you value your hands and eyes, stay away from them. There's a reason they are inexpensive and N-SSA along with other groups have banned them.

noslack327
02-02-2018, 10:06
Go to track of the wolf for quality.

AZshooter
02-03-2018, 02:39
Middlesex used to be OK, but the owner is a complete A$$ and quality is marginal at best. Loyalist in Canada is better quality and has actual responsive sales and service. Consider these as kits, since you'll want to do more wood finishing to make them look the best.

Blowing up and other BS is old info from long ago. They no longer use cheap welded seam tubing for their barrels, and mechanical quality for the locks are better (except for Middlesex).

Tkacook
02-03-2018, 07:32
I have wondered the same, but I don't hear much about their safety.

I did find this on the Middlesex sight.

http://www.middlesexvillagetrading.com/muzzleloader_technical_info/educational_articles/musket_history_articles/Indian_muskets_and_safety.shtml

blackhawknj
02-04-2018, 03:59
At Cedar Creek in 1991 we had a unit member overload his Italian made P1853 Enfield. Sound like a clap of thunder, knocked him down and the fellow behind him. When we got back to camp we found the wrist of his stock cracked.

EO1
02-17-2018, 07:21
Try that with one of those Indian made wall hangers.

Major Tom
02-27-2018, 07:19
I'm leery of anything made in India! Usually crude manufacture.

noslack327
03-12-2018, 09:46
My 1858 Enfield Parker Hale Musketoon was proof tested with 7 drams of black powder and a 724 grain bullet, the service load is 68.35 grains BP 2.5 drams with a 505 grain bullet. seems like you would really have to not watch what you are doing to exceed 7 drams.

Embalmer
03-16-2018, 09:23
The India made ones have been or being banned by most civil war reenactments groupsand events due to being unsafe. One blew up at a event couple years ago causing multiple injuries.

Best stick with armisport or pedersoli/euro arms

JB White
03-22-2018, 02:23
After hearing all the good v bad over the years, it seems they all let go with neglect or abuse. Some can take more than others. A well maintained shooter shouldn't be a problem.
What ever happened to all those "super dangerous" Spanish-made kits from the late 60's through the 70's? They didn't all blow up because I still have one. Perhaps the next time...or the next?

Emri
03-24-2018, 06:34
What ever happened to all those "super dangerous" Spanish-made kits from the late 60's through the 70's? They didn't all blow up because I still have one. Perhaps the next time...or the next?

One of them got scrapped in 1982 when I was at Gunsmith school. It was given to me to build and finish as a school gun. Draw filing and polishing revealed a longitudinal crack in the barrel from where the breech plug screwed in for about 3" forward; right through the chamber area. It didn't get finished. I doubt it would have made it through very many, or even one, attempt to fire.

EO1
05-12-2018, 09:44
Here ya go....... http://3rdregimentanv.com/unsafe_firearms.html

JB White
05-13-2018, 05:48
One of them got scrapped in 1982 when I was at Gunsmith school. It was given to me to build and finish as a school gun. Draw filing and polishing revealed a longitudinal crack in the barrel from where the breech plug screwed in for about 3" forward; right through the chamber area. It didn't get finished. I doubt it would have made it through very many, or even one, attempt to fire.

It's a good thing you caught that one when you did. Out of curiosity, was it one of the CVA kits? They were liquidating a lot of their kits about that time. In '78 or '79 I bought one from a catalog retailer for only $28. :)

- - - Updated - - -

Here ya go....... http://3rdregimentanv.com/unsafe_firearms.html

Once again, hearsay and photos of unknown origins. As far as we can tell, his rank and trade is a gifted position among reenactors. I can and do fully appreciate the preventive measures under those circumstances, but even the writer admits to being in the dark as to the actual causes. I would much rather see lab reports and/or first hand feedback instead. If that article was intended to be circulated amongst his unit, then kudos to him for making a call erring on the side of safety. No point in taking chances in a crowd of guys out having a weekend of fun.

It does look as though a seam let loose on that Brown Bess. When it comes to privately owned arms there is no way to control possible neglect or abuse. Not to mention people make mistakes all the time. Better quality can be very forgiving in that area.