PDA

View Full Version : Dumbarse day

Allen
01-01-2018, 09:00
Apparently Gulf Shores, AL has an annual day (polar bear dip day, new years day) of idiots going into the water to make sure it is cold. With the tourist season down constant BS like this happens in order to boost revenue for people who moved here, destroyed the area and set up business. Hotels and condo's are actually booking up for this. Some years it wouldn't matter much since this is a semi-tropical climate but today the temps are in the low 20's with a high of only 39. My predictions are:

1. The water is going to be cold

2. You will be colder coming out of the water than when you entered.

3. You may have a gained a little temporary education from this but will probably be back next year.

I believe this is the 7th year now and I just heard of it (thank God).

http://www.alabama.travel/upcoming-events/gulf-shores-polar-bear-dip

barretcreek
01-01-2018, 09:18
It is supposed to be done through a hole in the ice.

Sunray
01-01-2018, 10:23
Polar Bear Dip in Alabama. HAHAHAHAHA. It's called a Polar Bear Plunge down the road in Port Dover, Ont. Current temperature is -11C(10F) with a wind chill to make it feel like -20C(-4F).
Equally as dumb arsed though. snicker.

JB White
01-01-2018, 01:18
Polar bear club. Used to be a handful of "fanatics" taking a winter dip into Lake Michigan. It was fun for them and they got a few minutes of press time. Now it's an all out trend so people can say they did it along with "It's COLD!".

What I do know is that (after getting my lifesaving cert in 1972) I went into Lake Michigan in March. Nice hot sunny day but the water....took my breath away instantly and was barely able to stay afloat until I was pulled out. The few strokes I needed to get back close enough for help was all I could muster. Polar Plunge? Screw that!!!

leftyo
01-01-2018, 01:24
polar plunges are supposed to be done thru the ice. on a beach in the south, even if it drops down into the 20's, is laughable.