PDA

View Full Version : Does this happen to you?

S.A. Boggs
12-10-2017, 11:35
Went to bed @ 2200 now woke up at 0200, can't go back to sleep. If I feel tired might take a 20 minute cat nap this afternoon in my recliner. I had been using Ambien, still have some but decided to get off the stuff about two weeks ago. Was getting 8-10 hours of sleep with Ambien and decided to stop taking it.
Sam

JB White
12-11-2017, 03:15
Yes. That's why I'm up now! I used to get 5 to 6 solid hours of sleep per night. Now I get about 4 hours and need to hit the head. I'll go 6 to 7 hours of sleep once or twice a week.
For years I was up at 430 am for work. Once I retired I could sleep in until 6. It's nice when that happens.
If I stay busy I won't need a cat nap. I too like my recliner. Ambien....sounds to me like Jim Beam works better :)

S.A. Boggs
12-11-2017, 03:17
Yes. That's why I'm up now! I used to get 5 to 6 solid hours of sleep per night. Now I get about 4 hours and need to hit the head. I'll go 6 to 7 hours of sleep once or twice a week.
For years I was up at 430 am for work. Once I retired I could sleep in until 6. It's nice when that happens.
If I stay busy I won't need a cat nap. I too like my recliner. Ambien....sounds to me like Jim Beam works better :)
Makers Mark or Napoleon Brandy.
Sam

Sunray
12-11-2017, 09:57
Nope. But I can tell you exactly when I'll wake up. I sleep for 6 hours and my bladder says, "Hey you!" Kind of suspect the fistful of meds I have for breakfast matters some too though.
2200 is probably too early. However, it's well known that those of us who are full grown don't require as much sleep as those who are not full grown. Only real issue is worrying about it. That's not good for you.
That "20 minute cat nap" runs about an hour or so for me. Bought the couch I have exactly for that purpose. The original plan was Saturday and Sunday afternoons, but one must adapt. snicker.
Oh and it's red wine from Bordeaux.

Allen
12-11-2017, 10:04
I sleep for 6 hours and my bladder says, "Hey you!"

From working at a refinery we call this the high level alarm.

I have the same problem with the naps on the couch and it's simply a Miller Lite for me.

After 19 years of rotating shift work + forced overtime and averaging 4-5 hours sleep per day/night my health is wrecked and now since I've retired I sleep way too much.

Mark in Ottawa
12-11-2017, 12:32
It may just be an age problem since most of us seem to suffer from it. I do find that the worst thing that I can do is have a nap in the afternoon because that throws off my sleep cycle and that second worst thing is to have tea or coffee after about 3:00 pm because guarantees that I'll be up in the middle of the night. In addition for the last six weeks I have been in post-operative recovery mode (from a full knee replacement) and when my pain killers wear off, I wake up, often in some discomfort.

As a completely unrelated aside, for those who are wondering about how the Canadian Medical System handled the surgery, I met with the surgeon a week before I went to Europe for a month. We decided that the knee replacement was needed and he was able to set the date for two weeks after I returned home. Turned out that the hospital had been trying to reach me for two weeks to get the pre-op process underway and that they needed a week for the mandatory tests and training sessions. Bottom line, virtually no delay except that caused by my being out of the country. The big change since my last knee replacement 6 years ago is that they now discharge you after one night instead of after 4 nights. Not a bad system really.

S.A. Boggs
12-12-2017, 03:20
It may just be an age problem since most of us seem to suffer from it. I do find that the worst thing that I can do is have a nap in the afternoon because that throws off my sleep cycle and that second worst thing is to have tea or coffee after about 3:00 pm because guarantees that I'll be up in the middle of the night. In addition for the last six weeks I have been in post-operative recovery mode (from a full knee replacement) and when my pain killers wear off, I wake up, often in some discomfort.

As a completely unrelated aside, for those who are wondering about how the Canadian Medical System handled the surgery, I met with the surgeon a week before I went to Europe for a month. We decided that the knee replacement was needed and he was able to set the date for two weeks after I returned home. Turned out that the hospital had been trying to reach me for two weeks to get the pre-op process underway and that they needed a week for the mandatory tests and training sessions. Bottom line, virtually no delay except that caused by my being out of the country. The big change since my last knee replacement 6 years ago is that they now discharge you after one night instead of after 4 nights. Not a bad system really.
Yea, but how's the chow?
Sam

Darreld Walton
12-12-2017, 06:03
Since I was diagnosed with diabetes about five years ago, sleep longer than 4 hours at a time has become a luxury. Side effects from the meds, the neuropathy, and the bladder 'thing' just won't allow it. Like others, sleeping in the afternoon throws me way off, but it's just not optional at times, the combination of some of the meds flat put me down at times.

Mark in Ottawa
12-12-2017, 06:18
Sam: re Hows the chow? My wife (who somehow knows these things) tells me that a year or so ago, the senior staff of our local hospital were asked to eat the food provided to patients for a couple of days, after which it improved significantly. My recollection was that it was tolerable, no doubt healthy, but not great.

ddiwd
12-12-2017, 08:24
you are preaching to the preacher...nobidy got sleeping issue worse than i do, i can't even sleep facing the ceiling, if i do i get sleep paralysis.

dryheat
12-12-2017, 08:32
I wake up "like clockwork" after four hours. The weird thing is, it is clockwork. I will wake up precisely at 1:00 a.m or 2:00 a.m. on the dot. It's like I have a built in alarm.

JB White
12-12-2017, 08:56
I wake up "like clockwork" after four hours. The weird thing is, it is clockwork. I will wake up precisely at 1:00 a.m or 2:00 a.m. on the dot. It's like I have a built in alarm.

Are you going to sleep at about the same time? My crash times vary. For example I turned in short of 10 last night and woke up at 2:30. Had I turned in closer to midnight it might have been 4 or 4:30. The saving grace is that when I do turn in earlier I can usually/eventually get in another couple hours sleep before I start my day.
It's better when pretty girls keep me out way past my curfew...but only when I avoid eating the hot peppers. LOL

PWC
12-12-2017, 10:44
After I got my CPAP machine 10 years ago it's like turning off a light switch when I go to bed. If I have a soft drink an hour or two before bed I will wake up for a head call ~ 2 AM. Coffee does not bother me. Used to get up at 5 for work; retired now, but the dogs don't care about that, so I still let them out at 5 for about 10 min then go back to bed 'til 7:30 or 8.

Daytime nap depends on what's going on; if there really is no mental stimulation or activity in the afternoon, I'll take at least a 1/2 hour in the recliner in the afternoon. If I miss the afternoon because of some activity, then the nap catches up with me after supper.

dryheat
12-13-2017, 04:30
When I hit the sack determines when I will wake up, but it's pretty much 4-5 hrs. I get up make coffee and act like it's the start of the day, but like a vampire, right at sunrise fatigue hits me and I go back to bed and sleep like a rock til about nine or so and then have a full productive day. Actually works out pretty well for me, I'm single so I do whatever I want.

Merc
12-13-2017, 04:43
Funny you guys bring this subject up. I was up most of the night after accidentally sleeping last evening between 2200 and 2300. Nothing of interest on tv so I tried reading. Big mistake. Anyway, I feel fortunate to get 6 hours of sleep.

Allen
12-13-2017, 04:52
How come women don't seem to have this problem as bad?

PWC
12-13-2017, 07:10
"Man works from sun to sun, but woman's work is never done".... pretty pooped out when they do quit, at least that's their story and they are sticking to it.

PWC
12-13-2017, 06:53
I've been thinking about this string off and on today, because what is described in it is what I used to be like.

How many of you snore at night? If you have a wife, she will tell you with her elbow. If you live alone, you may not really know. My brother-in-law didn't, until he got his machine.

It might be worthwhile to have a sleep study done to see if you could benefit from a CPAP. Medicare and supplemental ins. pays for it. CPAP will stop snoring and the sleep interruptions it causes, but that may not be noticed by your sleeping self, causing you wake up tired. If you are married, you will get a better night's sleep because you won't be awakened by the elbow or the shrill refrain of "Turn over!". If you're single, you may sleep thru the night.

Of course, the CPAP will do nothing for a middle of the night 'head call".

PaFrank
12-14-2017, 06:49
I always sleep better in cold weather than when its warm.. But I too have my bouts with waking up to pee and tossing and turning...

If I really want to get a full restful nights sleep, I will take a benadryl. I have been taking it for 50 years for allergies and let me tell you it will put you to sleep!

I take prescription strength, but if you have never taken it before, the over the counter dose will be plenty for you..

(oh, and I use a CPAP, which helps, but I still have my bad nights)

Allen
12-14-2017, 06:58
"Man works from sun to sun, but woman's work is never done".... pretty pooped out when they do quit, at least that's their story and they are sticking to it.

That's the excuse they give for not wanting sex but I guess they can use it for sleep disorders as well.