PDA

View Full Version : Need Suggestions For Temperature/Humidity Monitoring Device For Gun Room

Ironlip
10-18-2017, 09:35
A few months ago I posted questions about storage of guns, web and leather gear in the gun room I built in our new home. I'm good on security - doors, locks etc. I have vents installed high and low to allow air circulation. But I want to be sure that I can monitor the temperature and humidity in the room. Can anyone suggest a specific brand of recording thermometer and humidity gauge, ideally in one package, that you have used successfully? I'm looking for something high quality to protect my investment, so I don't mind paying for something good that really works.

Thanks in advance.

Rick

Sunray
10-18-2017, 11:54
Isn't really necessary to record any of that. If the room is heated and kept at the same temperature, that's all you need to do.
Wanting to is a different thing. Fortunately, it's not terribly expensive. Appears to be $50 to $100 for a recording device. Lots of 'em on Amazon and the rest of the net. A net search for "recording thermometer and humidity gauge" turns up 46.5 million sites.

AZshooter
10-18-2017, 04:23
You spend a bundle for temp & Humidity monitoring, and to what end? Unless you have means to actually control and adjust your gunroom environment, you're just an onlooker to the fluctuations.

barretcreek
10-18-2017, 06:01
Where do you live? That has lot to do with preventing the problem. I am within sight of the Continental Divide, but I grew up in D.C., which is a swamp in many ways.

Different things to consider.

JB White
10-18-2017, 06:23
Are we talking about one of those 24 hour circular graph things?

Johnny P
10-18-2017, 06:43
Agree with the others. Unless you have large temperature fluctuations in your gun room there is no problem.

mike9905
10-18-2017, 10:10
Block off the vents and install a dehumidifier. Amazing how much water it sucks out of the air; I am on my second one in 20 years. I own more than 100 firearms and it works.

Major Tom
10-19-2017, 05:01
I'm probably fortunate in that I keep my firearms and reloading equipment in my basement here in the Midwest. I have a simple thermometer and humidity gauge there and the temperature remains at 68 degrees and humidity at 30% year round.

dave
10-21-2017, 08:43
'NRA Gun Museum" collection people say about 50% hum. is ideal, too dry and wood will shrink and crack. I keep my basement gun room at about 45% with a humidifier. Trouble is I have purchased, or had, 3-4 gauge's and they all vary by 10-15 percent. My two rooms in upper parts of house are merely vented. Never any problems.
Temp swings really have to be extreme to cause condensation, and I mean really extreme!