PDA

View Full Version : Some people fly off the handle way too easily

JB White
10-15-2017, 09:40
Baseball party last night at the lodge (Cubs vs. Dodgers) and when some people went outside for a smoke, one noticed this sign on the door:

https://assets.dnainfo.com/generated/chicago_photo/2014/01/official-no-guns-sign-1389974046.jpg/larger.jpg

The pre-rehearsed blabber soon started about the 2A, CCW, our rights, and a host of other complaints about the organization being anti-gun, communist, liberal, blah blah blah (ad nauseam). I let them fly off the handle for a while just smiling.
Finally I spoke up and said, "The only guns not allowed are Berettas". *befuddled looks and a silence* :icon_lol:

"Let me explain something. It's been that way for over 100 years. Hearkens back to the days of our Rod and Gun clubs. No firearms in the building with kids and families inside. Guys drinking and guns? Bad medicine. The firearms have ALWAYS been restricted to the parking lot unless prior permission to bring them inside has been granted."

I then went on to tell them which lodges still had pistol and/or skeet ranges on their property. Guess what? That same sign is on their lodge home door too. Also told them that most of the board of officers here and at most lodges in our area were NRA members and active shooters. That if they didn't believe me about firearms and access, they should read the little booklets they were given when they first joined.

The soap boxes fell apart after that. For a while the $hit was really flying and all unfounded. Crap like that can really make us look bad.

Allen
10-15-2017, 11:13
I would have just torn the sign off.

JB White
10-15-2017, 11:47
I would have just torn the sign off.

For what reason and to what end?

Vern Humphrey
10-15-2017, 02:19
Let me give you an example. I used to work in a building that had a gym for the tenants' use. Most of the people who worked in that building were retired military. One day, the management put up a Jane Fonda poster in the gym. It got torn down and thrown in the trash. A couple of days later, there was a new Jane Fonda poster. It got torn down and was left lying on the floor -- with suspicious brown streaks.

Management got the message.

JB White
10-15-2017, 02:38
Difference is, the no firearms in the lodge without prior permission policy has been in the international bylaws for over a century. The sign is only a reminder to those with carry permits. I doubt there would be any law enforcement involved, but all it takes is a complaint to lose membership. If the guys would have simply said "WTF is THAT all about?" they would have gotten the same answer without all the yelling and false labeling.
Quite a bit different than posting up a portrait of an anti-American traitor bitch in front of veterans...or anyone else who loves this country.

Having said that, tearing something down or ripping someone's decal from their door makes a point. But when you're on security cams you do risk being charged with damage to property.

free1954
10-16-2017, 05:40
when it comes to firearms in places that don't allow them it's "don't ask don't tell" with me. if you don't flash them around nobody knows you have them.

USMilitaryGuy
10-16-2017, 05:55
It is their door and they can post whatever signs they want to on it.

It is my belt and my jacket and I can hang whatever I want to on it (concealed means hidden).

If that does not work for them, it is my wallet - full of my money - and I can carry it through some other door.

JB White
10-16-2017, 10:22
when it comes to firearms in places that don't allow them it's "don't ask don't tell" with me. if you don't flash them around nobody knows you have them.

That is the unwritten policy.

Vern Humphrey
10-16-2017, 01:40
And if you are ever injured by a criminal while in a place that doesn't allow firearms -- sue the stem-winding piss out of them.