PDA

View Full Version : Thieves, how I detest them!

S.A. Boggs
10-11-2017, 03:51
Now that I have a different place to play in [Wolf's Lair] comes the question of security. The building came with a locked opener and I added two strong padlocks top and bottom. What I like about the one that came with it is a 19th century handle turn style that is pretty secure, the other door has too pins that push securely into metal reinforced frame top and bottom. Have looked at safe's, haven't decided yet as I don't want electronic locks and that is just about all I find. Thought about building a G.I. rifle rack with a locking bar encased in a wood cabinet with locks on it. Could also house my ammo cans in it, any suggestions?
Sam

Fred
10-11-2017, 07:39
Sam, move to the remote country where very very few passers by and people in general don't even notice or even see your house.
Of course keep your gun handy in case of trouble. Slick salesmen occasionally do come up our hill.
Our eight dogs keep people out of the house or from getting out of their vehicles too.

Allen
10-11-2017, 08:39
Home Depot (I believe) is advertising a motion detector light. When the light comes on the camera comes on. Much like a deer camera but the camera is motion instill of still shots.

Put up signs like ADT or "Smile, You're on Candid Camera".

If you have a large dog let it sleep in the Wolfs Lair at nights.

A perimeter fence would be an extra layer of security and slow intruders down.

Consider taking your most expensive items into your house at night.

When you buy a safe you may want to consider one that can be hidden (like in the floor). Buy a second cheaper safe to leave exposed and put your cheaper stuff/junk guns in as a decoy for any would be intruder.

100 years ago the farmers would build a fence around the building and keep a few guinea hens. The eggs are good but mostly guinea's raise cain at the slightest sound day or night often hearing things long before the watch dogs.

If you have an alarm system you may want to secure the electrical and phone line service as an intruder will want to cut this before breaking in.

A friend of mine owns a gun shop. Someone came by and gave him three 5' Eastern Diamondback rattle snakes (why?). The friend thought they would make excellent watchdogs and he would put up signs everywhere. Then, he realized, how would he get back into his shop?

RED
10-12-2017, 05:45
I have a 1400' driveway with a Dakota Alert wireless alarm about half way down the drive.

https://www.guardlinesecurity.com/products/dakota-alert-2500-ft-underground-probe-driveway-alarm-set?utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=googlepla&variant=23706055175&keyword=&gclid=CjwKCAjwpfzOBRA5EiwAU0ccN6MMd-vit33hmKJxrLxmpgEoVJj1LYg_Y0gkCPcDRG7UaJ1JLmAGWRoC RQMQAvD_BwE

Most thieves are lazy people and will only take the easy pickings. Motion detectors are usually worthless... dogs, cats, deer, etc will drive you crazy. Up close you need a yapper whether it be a doberman or a poodle it just needs to be alert and noisy. Most people don't even think about security when they buy a home.

I had guinea fowl for a while and they were fantastic but the owls and coyotes liked them too. They would alert if any thing or anybody approached and fly to the roof of the house and made a lot of racket. They need a dog around that won't bother them but keep the predators away. Just my $.02.

S.A. Boggs
10-12-2017, 07:41
Have a motion sensor light that is aimed for the middle of the driveway that kicks in when my wife comes in, thinking about adding camera's as well. Next week [hopefully] will be putting up the fence, wood posts already in place. On top of the posts I am stringing my electric fence that is rated for grizzly bear! Of course appropriate signs for the fence and will notify my one neighbor of this electrical addition. The fence will be 4' tall and 4" above that the electric fence to discourage intruders.
Sam