PDA

View Full Version : Reasons to carry

aintright
10-10-2017, 05:53
There seems to be no end to the reasons to carry these days . Our country bumpkin world ain't what it used to be . Just heard about a fellow I went to school with got attacked . We used to cruise together , we both had some sweet Camaro's back then .
He got caught up in a divorce shortly after High School and left from around here . Hadn't heard about or from him since , moved about myself over the years .
What little bit of info I got was he was at a house a couple miles from where I live and had this house for sale . He was there yesterday and this fellow was walking up the road with his dog . The dog takes off across the road into another yard and attacks a dog tied . The guy gets his dog off the tied dog and proceeds to beat and stomp his dog .
My old friend yells at him to stop beating the dog and the guy replies with cursing and threatens to kill him and his wife .

Well my friend was always a small fellow but never knew him to back down , unfortunately I don't think he thought things would go this level .
Seems another guy appeared from somewhere and they took him down , one held onto him sicking the dog on him and the other circled him stabbing him several times .
Also turns out the guy with dog had just served a bunch of time for a stabbing and was again a fugitive , living in a tent down in the field . The law has an ongoing search going on for these clowns . Hopefully they get them before they hurt somebody else . Just across the river from my home , have warned the wife . Here a few months ago a older lady across the field from me was home invaded and robbed at gun point , seems crimes of violence is an ongoing thing here in our rural neighborhoods these days , murder , rape , and robbery is a very common occurrence these days .
Just found this out tonight , when I get back , I intend to go see him and hope he is doing well .
Just goes to show you , you don't have to be in the city to justify carrying , things have changed and changed in a big way . Holy xxxx ! Wife just got off the phone with her sister , and called me , her sisters ex husband who is disabled was just attacked by another thug , B&E and had his hand broken , shoulder , and a few ribs , this P.O.S. Is a local snitch and has skated on similar charges before . Dam it , it's getting crazy , again only a couple miles from here . I knew this guy too , he is about as laid back as they get , about my age . I tell you it makes it harder and harder to leave her there by herself .
Kenneth

togor
10-10-2017, 06:39
You live near a river you say?

S.A. Boggs
10-10-2017, 07:27
Supply of concrete blocks are not a bad idea, Togor has some good suggestions I think.:eusa_shhh:
Sam

S.A. Boggs
10-10-2017, 07:31
When I first got my CCW years ago my wife thought it was a bad idea and "no need" to carry all the time. Couple of women in our area were killed as they came home during the afternoon, had surprised B&E. Both were killed with blunt weapons, after this was on the news my wife changed her tune. My canine compadre and Sigmund accompany me everywhere. Better to be tried by 12 then carried by 6!
Sam

blackhawknj
10-10-2017, 10:01
Baden-Powell said it best-"Be Prepared!"

p246
10-10-2017, 10:41
I work in the city live in the country. For us Meth use brought a lot of problems we use to be immune from. Like Sam my wife use to hate me carrying off duty. Now not so much, wonder if we will ever get back to the old days again.

S.A. Boggs
10-11-2017, 03:42
I work in the city live in the country. For us Meth use brought a lot of problems we use to be immune from. Like Sam my wife use to hate me carrying off duty. Now not so much, wonder if we will ever get back to the old days again.
Not until it is legal to hang certain lawyers and politicians. Life is a cycle and hopefully we have gone as far to the left as possible, although for some people far left is too right...if you get my drift. It's like what one guy said, "Each day is like a new day of combat only no arty or air support".
Sam

Major Tom
10-11-2017, 05:00
" wonder if we will ever get back to the old days again.[/QUOTE]"

We are back in the "old days" when everyone carried a gun of some sorts.

Sunray
10-11-2017, 11:38
Most people carry because they can vs needing to do so. Who'd want to live where you needed to carry?

Allen
10-11-2017, 12:24
Who'd want to live where you needed to carry?

I'd say in most cases you don't know you need to carry till it's too late.

"Better to have a gun (on you) and not need it than to need a gun and not have it".

aintright
10-11-2017, 12:26

Not on the river , but about 1/2 mile across some fields , some with a lot of cedar growth . Portions of the river are very easy to cross and shallow , nothing for some jack leg jacked up on some dope and adrenalin mixed being on the run , these guys could be any where .
Sam , you say Togor has some good Ideas , all I'm seeing is he is asking if I live close to the river .
How bout it Togor , what's on your mind ?
Have spent some time with my wife trying to train her somewhat , for a nasty scenario . Got her a nice S&W hammerless 38 special . , can't remember the model at the moment . Bought her some wad cutters to practice with so she wouldn't get shy of the recoil , and some +P's for the real thing .
Started her off dry firing until she seemed to grasp safety and seemed more at home with the gun , she was awkward and nervous at first . I was careful to be patient and explain the why of things .
Then I let her load one round at a time for safety and added handling and loading time . Once she got to hitting a four inch bull consistently at 7 yds . I let her load the cylinder and slow fire . Then pick up the pace , but moved her in to about two yds off the target to help with confidence building and learning what hold was the steadiest for her .
After she got to where she could keep most of her shots in a six inch bull cranking the trigger , we went back to dry firing from the ground .
Considered she may very well be attacked in bed , tried to set up a somewhat similar scenario . As she is a sound sleeper . Had her to lay on her back in the grass and put a bucket beside her to simulate a night stand .
Had her to close her eyes and then I would start yelling your being attacked , get getup get up , loudly at her , having her snatch her handgun and only being a yard or so from the target dry firing until it appeared she had it down pretty good .
Then I let her do it live , she surprised me and hit the bull pretty consistently . So then we went back to dry firing again , this time I would put my hand into her chest giving her some resistance coming up , taught her to do a side sweep with her forearms knocking my hand off her chest and grabbing her pistol and firing on the target , finally going live fire . I am only home on weekends so as you can imagine this took several weekends .
But she was eager to learn and happy with her progress , you could see her beaming as she progressed in her confidence and marksmanship . I was proud of her and she made feel good about the time spent , it was well worth it .
Yeah , I know , there a lot of other scenarios , but she had the opportunity to build her confidence and realize she may have to physically fight to get her gun . I do believe she is now better for it , bullet proof ? Who is ?
Sorry for the long wind , but I am proud of her interest and do worry about her .
Kenneth

aintright
10-11-2017, 12:44
Most people carry because they can vs needing to do so. Who'd want to live where you needed to carry?

I figure most people carry because they know what kind of world we live in . Yeah there are those who carry as a status thing . A lot of people didn't choose a bad area , it just got that way . As I am sure you have heard many say , not so long ago , maybe five years or so , I remember going to bed and not locking the doors , now we have dead bolts on all three entrance doors that require a key on both sides . Vehicles are locked , a camera on each end of the house . Paranoid ? Nope , just aware of how things have changed , old enough to not want to sell , move , and open up another mortgage , this one is down low enough It will be paid for by the time I retire .
Kenneth

aintright
10-11-2017, 03:13
Turns out they were father/son that attacked and stabbed my old friend , as of now they are facing assault charges . So it is good news they have them , hopefully they will be denied a bond hearing .
As for the other fellow , he is being released from the hospital today , 60 couple stitches in his head , the guy laid into him with a ball bat , causing a flattened out the top of his head , doctor told him he was lucky to be alive . Broken shoulder and hand along with some fractured ribs . Seems awful early to release him to me .
They gave his attacker a bond hearing today . Haven't heard whether they gave him bond or not , can't imagine why they would consider .
kenneth

Merc
10-11-2017, 04:09
In some urban neighborhoods, the "knockout" game seems to be the most entertaining thing that teens did around here. A group would walk up to a total stranger, usually elderly, and start punching until the knockout has been fully achieved. I read a while back about a group of teens out for fun. One decided that he would cross the street and knockout some guy who was just out walking his dog only to find out that he was carrying a long butcher knife. The guy left the teen bleeding terminally on the street and kept right on walking his dog. I haven't heard much since.

Now, it's opioid drugs mixed with fentanyl that's killing kids and young adults and they'll do just about anything to get money to buy their drugs.

Allen
10-11-2017, 04:28
Outside of getting pulled over for going 5mph over the posted speed limit and being fined for going 20mph in excess we seem to have NO laws in this country any more. I believe it was most advertised with obama being in office. If anyone ever taught us we have become a lawless nation it was him. All the more reason to carry. When seconds count the police are only minutes away and even then calling them isn't always the best thing to do.

Those of us who have kids need to persuade them to obtain a permit too and carry where possible.

JB White
10-11-2017, 10:23
...now we have dead bolts on all three entrance doors that require a key on both sides...

Not a good idea. Makes a hasty exit impossible. Fire, smoke, fumes...home invasion and nobody can escape...etc. Had those on my house when I bought it. Lived with them for a few years. The family would leave keys in the locks for lack of a lever. Changed all the locks. Changed any door glass to Lexan.

hopefully they will be denied a bond hearing

Around here there is always a bond hearing. A judge will decide whether bail is set at 50, 100...perhaps millions of dollars, or they can await trial out on personal recognizance. Of course there is always a no bail ruling when applicable.

Outside of getting pulled over for going 5mph over the posted speed limit and being fined for going 20mph in excess we seem to have NO laws in this country any more.

Pulled over? That's what all the "Big Brother" cameras are for. Ticket the owner. Not the driver. So long as one can afford paying to play nobody loses a license. Get three tickets every day if you wish. So long as the cash rolls in keep on going. Used to be three moving violations within a 12 month period and your driving privileges were revoked.

As far as concealed carry goes, I'm playing the odds. Odds are much, much greater that if I'm carrying legally I might be arrested on a minor technicality than be accosted. As a FOID holder, if caught for a minor possession technicality, the punishment is less for a first offense that if I had a permit to go along with the FOID.
Having both means (A) I've been properly trained and there is no excuse. (B) I not only forfeit the piece in question, but all my guns. (C) My FOID is revoked and I no longer have the right to touch a gun or ammo in this State.

For me, I felt it best to obey the laws I've been obeying all along and take my chances. However, since I'm older and know I'm slower now I have been reconsidering that. I grew up street fighting. I've used non-firearm weapons to save my arse a few times. I know I probably can't put my foot in someones face anymore. At least not like I used to. About four years ago a punk tried to rob me not far from home. I deflected his weapon and he ended up with a broken jaw and a concussion. I was sore from beating his arse! Yeah...it's time to consider legal concealed carry.

free1954
10-12-2017, 05:18
when i'm out by myself or with the boys I seldom carry unless i'm going into a danger zone. when i'm with the old lady or grandkid's I feel it' my responsibility to carry.

RED
10-12-2017, 08:18
when i'm out by myself or with the boys I seldom carry unless i'm going into a danger zone. when i'm with the old lady or grandkid's I feel it' my responsibility to carry.

I carry anytime I go to the city. Columbia. MO is a college town, "green" and very liberal. They have spent untold millions on bike trails and a city bus system. I have never seen more than 1/2 dozen people riding the busses and mostly they are empty. They have shootings there weekly. I stopped at a McDonalds last week at about 5 PM for a cup of coffee and a hour later there was a shooting in the drive through. The McD's is across the street from the high school and in the business district. IIRC they have something liken 18 unfilled vacancies in the city PD. They can afford those busses and millions for trails that only a few people ever use but can't afford to pay enough to hold police officers and firefighters.

Most cities have sections that are relatively calm and peaceful. Columbia is a equal crime opportunity zone... there have been murders and shootings in virtually every neighborhood including the ones with $250k - $500k homes.

togor
10-12-2017, 08:53
I asked because I did live along the Mighty Mississippi for a time, in South St. Paul in a rental. At least I was upwind of the stockyards! But rivers attract a mix of people for some reason. Your tale suggests that you have to be ready for anything where you live, and in my experience it rings true.

togor
10-12-2017, 08:56
Red unless you're out during the commuting hours the buses will seem empty. Same is true everywhere. On roads they call it "rush hour" when ironically no one gets anywhere fast because of the congestion.

Allen
10-12-2017, 09:03
I carry anytime I go to the city. IIRC they have something liken 18 unfilled vacancies in the city PD. They can afford those busses and millions for trails that only a few people ever use but can't afford to pay enough to hold police officers and firefighters.

It's not all about $ for the police. With all the PC and racist sht enhanced by the news media along with no support the police are leaving vacancies. Why should they want a job where they can be sued, fired, harassed and ridiculed for trying to do their job which lately has no definite rules to go by. The city leaders they work for often throw them under the buss to save face for themselves. In a neighboring town where I live they require college degrees to be cop and they pay better than average. They have plenty of applicants partly due to the $ but also because they are treated fairly.

Not meaning to weaken your point about the carry rights we have now though. I've always been a firm believer in registering the person, not the gun.

Last week I went to a restaurant. The first thing you see when you enter is a sign with a picture of a pistol that states: "Your weapons are welcome here". Kinda says it all. Banks should have the same signs.

RED
10-12-2017, 12:08
Red unless you're out during the commuting hours the buses will seem empty. Same is true everywhere. On roads they call it "rush hour" when ironically no one gets anywhere fast because of the congestion.

I am so old that I guess I don't know when rush hour is any more. Last week I had a VA appointment at 0800. I had to have a "driver" so I was with another guy. We saw two different busses around 0715 - 0730 and neither one had more than 4 or 5 people we could see. My driver is the one that noticed how empty it was and commented on it.

Critch
10-13-2017, 09:04
I've had occasion to have to pull a gun twice since 2003. once i was approached by 4 men at 0200 in the parking lot of the StL University Hospital guesthouse. My son was in critical condition in the hospital. I had to go out to my car to get something and they came out from behind a retaining wall..I pulled out my Browning Hi-Power and warned them away..they cussed me like a dog, but they kept their distance...I called the campus cops but they didn't seem at all interested. The second time was a few years later in Memphis,,,I was at a stop light and I saw a hand reach through my window toward the steering wheel, I pulled my Ruger and his eyes were as big as dinner plates. He took off running and was tackled by two cops who were a few cars behind me.

That's why I carry...

Allen
10-14-2017, 08:52
I can't think of any reason not to carry except that carrying a gun is illegal in courthouses and most Federal buildings.

JB White
10-14-2017, 10:10
I can't think of any reason not to carry except that carrying a gun is illegal in courthouses and most Federal buildings.

..and from what I've always been told, banks.

S.A. Boggs
10-14-2017, 01:25
..and from what I've always been told, banks.
That's odd, my bank welcomes it no trouble and no ghost buster signs. Wolf goes in with me and always gets a doggie treat, great people to deal with.
Sam

IditarodJoe
10-14-2017, 01:35
Other than federal buildings and certain federally regulated facilities (e.g., parts of airports, nuclear power stations, etc.), the places where you may not carry are determined on a state-by-state basis. In my state, there is no prohibition on carrying in banks or anywhere else (other than courthouses) for that matter. The biggest PITA for me is post offices. Need to stop by the PO - have to make a special (disarmed) trip. That rule makes no sense and really does need to be changed.

barretcreek
10-14-2017, 04:09
Post Office parking lots are PO property, which is a major PitA here in the sticks. Your weapon in your vehicle makes you a felon, even though most females here have a CC. Bush axed it and The Messiah reinstated it. Of course.

AZshooter
10-14-2017, 08:50
Before were married, my wife worked late one evening & decided to stop on the way home for groceries. As she walked across the parking lot, some big creep grabbed her by the arm and demanded all her money. She said she began sobbing loudly and told the guy that this was the worst time, since she just cashed her paycheck, a big quarterly bonus check, and her Mother's Social Security check. She begged him to let her keep Mom's check. The guy got greedy and let her reach into her purse. She pulled out an 8" nail file and sunk it thru his eye socket & into his brain. She said she should have left it there, but pulled it out & the guy began pouring blood and convulsing. Someone had already run into the store & cops were there in a heartbeat. They drove her home, and then called me to go pick up her car.

She told me about it later, after several bourbon & sodas (she wasn't a drinker). Always being one to be able to throw someone off guard, she didn't have a big wad of cash in her purse, no big cash bonus, and her Mom lived out of state, about 2500 miles away...

Apparently one of the deceased's trailer trash relations told cops they were out to kill her. Cops told him to be careful, since she's already rid the world of one of them, so what would be the harm in "taking out" the other one. After all, she seemed quite adept at defending herself.

I offered to let her carry my Hi-Power, since she was a farm girl & already well versed in numerous firearms. She declined & said she just re-armed with a new $1.49 nailfile.

I carry because I've been widowed for 20 years now & there's nobody to back me up with her nail file anymore.

S.A. Boggs
10-15-2017, 02:31
Before were married, my wife worked late one evening & decided to stop on the way home for groceries. As she walked across the parking lot, some big creep grabbed her by the arm and demanded all her money. She said she began sobbing loudly and told the guy that this was the worst time, since she just cashed her paycheck, a big quarterly bonus check, and her Mother's Social Security check. She begged him to let her keep Mom's check. The guy got greedy and let her reach into her purse. She pulled out an 8" nail file and sunk it thru his eye socket & into his brain. She said she should have left it there, but pulled it out & the guy began pouring blood and convulsing. Someone had already run into the store & cops were there in a heartbeat. They drove her home, and then called me to go pick up her car.

She told me about it later, after several bourbon & sodas (she wasn't a drinker). Always being one to be able to throw someone off guard, she didn't have a big wad of cash in her purse, no big cash bonus, and her Mom lived out of state, about 2500 miles away...

Apparently one of the deceased's trailer trash relations told cops they were out to kill her. Cops told him to be careful, since she's already rid the world of one of them, so what would be the harm in "taking out" the other one. After all, she seemed quite adept at defending herself.

I offered to let her carry my Hi-Power, since she was a farm girl & already well versed in numerous firearms. She declined & said she just re-armed with a new $1.49 nailfile.

I carry because I've been widowed for 20 years now & there's nobody to back me up with her nail file anymore.
Sorry for your lose. The world is getting worse, drugs are everywhere and there is no escaping them. Society continues to revive them with narcan when years ago they died. Drug addicts, at least the ones I have known, don't care except for getting "high" and will steal anything for their fix. Forcing a person into rehab is foolhardy and needle exchanges is counter productive. Unfortunately some people will die, but it is their choice. I carry because of the people will willingly do me and mine harm to get a perceived need...anything I have. Read a story recently about a thug that stuck his arm into a woman's car to grab her purse, her electric window was faster and she "ran" him to the police station several miles away. He was quite unarmed when the police arrested him. The other thing that is needed to be done is that the prosecutors attitude towards victims who resist the attacker, the victim is often prosecuted!
Sam

aintright
10-15-2017, 05:41
"The victim is often prosecuted" yep have seen that , even the judge will have a hand in it at times .
So far so good on the beating and stabbing , the police are interviewing every one they can and building more charges . Hopefully these shietheads will get railroaded . Kenneth

Allen
10-15-2017, 08:23
Wolf goes in with me and always gets a doggie treat, great people to deal with.
Sam

I use the drive up when traveling with my "grand-dog". He gets plenty of treats at home but is always interested in what other people present to him. By the time he jumps in my lap and sticks his head out the window he is all the bank teller sees.

barretcreek
10-15-2017, 08:29
"The victim is often prosecuted". Proving the G is useless upsets them sometimes.