PDA

View Full Version : Sodomy, the Lash....

barretcreek
10-10-2017, 01:28
https://www.navytimes.com/news/your-navy/2017/10/09/uss-bread-and-water-punishment-loomed-over-a-demoralized-crew/

At'll teach 'em.

Sorry folks but, am I being a bit critical of the recipients?

Vern Humphrey
10-10-2017, 02:08
The Navy used to have a film on the UCMJ. In one scene, a Master at Arms is standing in front of a cell door, picking the raisins out of raisin bread. "I got my orders. This guy is on bread and water."

leftyo
10-10-2017, 02:35
we used to have a saying, "liberty is secured until morale improves".

USMilitaryGuy
10-10-2017, 04:24
I once spent quite a bit of time in the field with nothing but MREs and water - so I suppose it could have been worse for them.

As some of you probably know, MREs don't even have bread.

Oyaji
10-10-2017, 05:09
It's only for three days, only administered to E-3 and below, only done aboard ship, and before the sentence can be administered, the awardee must have had a physical exam done in sick bay. Not only that but, the awardee can have all the bread and water he wants........there is no limit as to how much he can eat.

In the Navy, it's called "piss and punk" and we didn't see many repeat offenders. It was a very effective punishment for young, misguided, non-rated sailors.

jaie5070
10-10-2017, 07:00
I think there are some MREs now that have a ration of bread.

gwp
10-10-2017, 08:06
I think there are some MREs now that have a ration of bread.

Some MREs have bread like "Snack Bread" but it is nothing like a slice of bread.

http://www.mreinfo.com/mres/mre-menus/mre-menus-2016/

Vern Humphrey
10-11-2017, 11:12
The "crackers" listed in the MRE menus are old-fashioned hard tack. My grandfather was in the Navy during the Boxer Rebellion -- he sailed on the USS Ohio, which despite having steam engines also had sails. He had many stories, including about knocking the hard tack on the rim of your plate to knock the weevils out.

Sunray
10-11-2017, 11:35
"...old-fashioned hard tack..." That'd be a small loaf of really stale bread. Not like a cracker at all. A cracker is softer. Still available in some places.
"...using bread and water to punish junior sailors..." Would very likely create a 'cruel and unusual punishment' case for said boat people led by the ACLU. Thinking you need to resort to such measures indicates poor leadership skills.

Vern Humphrey
10-11-2017, 12:44
If you want to see old fashioned hard tack, look at a "cracker" from a C-ration.

AZshooter
10-12-2017, 08:38
Don't lie, cheat, steal, or drink until you're old enough, and always be on time.

Follow these simple guidelines & you need never fear the bread and water lock-up.

Griff Murphey
10-16-2017, 03:50
One of my patients was on the missile frigate USS BIDDLE in the early 60's and the crew called the skipper "Captain Beno" because when they arrived in port the skipper would usually come over the 1MC with: "There will BE NO LIBERTY..."

Apparently he was quite a martinet and imposed this restriction frequently as a punishment for real or perceived crew shortcomings. If they had had access to mike 26's they probably would have fragged him.

Vern Humphrey
10-16-2017, 07:21
One of my patients was on the missile frigate USS BIDDLE in the early 60's and the crew called the skipper "Captain Beno" because when they arrived in port the skipper would usually come over the 1MC with: "There will BE NO LIBERTY..."

That line comes from the comic strip "Steve Canyon" in the early '50s.