PDA

View Full Version : For the Rambo Wannabes

Sandpebble
10-04-2017, 04:23
From then till now ... I can't help but notice the differences .

Over the past many years I've spent a lot of time at gun ranges. They used to be a place where Dad brought the kids to learn marksmanship skills and firearm safety. Plink the .22 at reactive targets for a few years and then ultimately the annual pre season deer rifle sight in. Or those with a more competitve bent would come to practice their competitive skills.
More and more over the years I've noticed more and more "Rambo wannabe's". 30 to 40 + year olds dressed in cammo and little bandoleers of ammo on their forearms as they practice their 50 yd sniper skills. And talk about "When the xxxx hits the fan" scenarios.

A few years ago when we were suffering another one of those "Oh my God the Dems are gonna confiscate everything " periods I met a young guy at the range. He had sauntered up to the 100 yd range where I shot my .22 target rifles from the 50 yd where he proudly shot basket ball size groups with his wonderfull black gun.

During our discussion he hinted at his desire to be involved in a militia and informed me he had just spent three weeks pay on AR 15 magazines while they can still be had.

" Three Weeks Pay !.... what the hell are you gonna do with all of them ?" ... I asked

My question must have struck a cord as he immediately came back with a harsh question.....

" When the xxxx hits the fan, what are you gonna do with out them? "

My answer was that I'd probably shoot someone from very far away.... then walk over and pick up his gear ....

blackhawknj
10-04-2017, 04:49
Many of those Rambo wannabes grew up fatherless, few served in the military, if they were lucky they were in the Boy Scouts, perhaps had some basic marksmanship instruction. They got their ideas of manliness from movies, TV, pulp magazines, etc.

S.A. Boggs
10-04-2017, 05:51
Many of those Rambo wannabes grew up fatherless, few served in the military, if they were lucky they were in the Boy Scouts, perhaps had some basic marksmanship instruction. They got their ideas of manliness from movies, TV, pulp magazines, etc.
You said a mouthful! Half a century ago I was taught that one aimed round that hit the target was firepower, anything less was noise. I like what Jeff Cooper asked, "Is everyone on semi? I loved shooting MP-40's, Uzi or M1928...heck ever the American Arms 180. Close up I did fine with slugs/00 buck. Personally I agree with Sandpebble on this, I no longer frequent pubic ranges without a range master. Too many wannabes of all ilk. Watch a "gangsta" draw from a coat pocket, turn his piece sideways and hit all over the target @ 25yards. With my students I use a white paper plate for all ranges out to 25 yards with this, "Aim small miss small, aim big miss big."
Sam

jjrothWA
10-05-2017, 09:55
Was using a Cincinnati indoor range during the Winter of 2015, using a revovler,as I wanted to reload my brass, had number of people shooting @ 20 foot or less, using the body style silhouette target, I'm @ maximum range using the 25yd bulleyes.

My groups were within the black [six rounds] while the other were happy to ventilate the the entire page. common firearm for them: semi-auto, calilber .40S&W.

One gent looked over mine out fit and I offered him six rounds to try. He left thinking his results.

When I duplicated teh above using my 2" J-frame, he was impressed.

barretcreek
10-05-2017, 10:29
Pentagon doesn't want the draft, ergo it's easier to play soldier than actually commit to being one.

S.A. Boggs
10-05-2017, 01:28
What ever happened to the "Walter Mittey" Syndrome?
Sam

blackhawknj
10-05-2017, 02:28
The Army I served was not anti-gun but it was certainly ungun, no place for a firearms enthusiast.

p246
10-05-2017, 07:26
From then till now ... I can't help but notice the differences .

Over the past many years I've spent a lot of time at gun ranges. They used to be a place where Dad brought the kids to learn marksmanship skills and firearm safety. Plink the .22 at reactive targets for a few years and then ultimately the annual pre season deer rifle sight in. Or those with a more competitve bent would come to practice their competitive skills.
More and more over the years I've noticed more and more "Rambo wannabe's". 30 to 40 + year olds dressed in cammo and little bandoleers of ammo on their forearms as they practice their 50 yd sniper skills. And talk about "When the xxxx hits the fan" scenarios.

A few years ago when we were suffering another one of those "Oh my God the Dems are gonna confiscate everything " periods I met a young guy at the range. He had sauntered up to the 100 yd range where I shot my .22 target rifles from the 50 yd where he proudly shot basket ball size groups with his wonderfull black gun.

During our discussion he hinted at his desire to be involved in a militia and informed me he had just spent three weeks pay on AR 15 magazines while they can still be had.

" Three Weeks Pay !.... what the hell are you gonna do with all of them ?" ... I asked

My question must have struck a cord as he immediately came back with a harsh question.....

" When the xxxx hits the fan, what are you gonna do with out them? "

My answer was that I'd probably shoot someone from very far away.... then walk over and pick up his gear ....
This is why several of us spent hard earned money on a private range. We invite those who are grounded, and not living in a fantasy