PDA

View Full Version : Otis cleaning kit

Merc
10-04-2017, 11:26
Fresh subject, guys.

On several recommendations that I saw here, I bought an Otis pull through bore cleaning kit a few months ago and used it for the first time with Hoppe's bore cleaning solvent yesterday on my M1917. I'm impressed after seeing how much dirt came out on the first patch that I pulled through the bore and how little came out on the second patch that I pulled through the bore. Using a rod, I would have to push 15 or more patches through the bore to acheive similar results.

The instructions give a specific way to use their circular patches and the force required to pull them through the bore was considerable and was probably the reason why they worked so well. Looks like the original pull through cleaning kits from 1917 turned out to be a great idea. Also worth mentioning - the muzzle is protected using this method.

gwp
10-04-2017, 12:02
I purchased an Otis kit years ago when they sponsored this sight and discounted the price for forum members. The kit works very well. I have a large supply of military cleaning patches and I use a flat bladed screwdriver to punch a hole in the patches so they can be used with the Otis system.

Sunray
10-04-2017, 12:15
It's not the pull though or rod that matters. It's having the first well soaked in solvent and the solvent gets left there for 20 minutes or so. Gives the solvent time to work.

JB White
10-04-2017, 12:16
I've used the Otis stuff a long while back. It works as it's supposed to and I have nothing bad to say. A matter of personal preference I still rely on my rods.

Since you mentioned M1917's...I picked up a sweet looking Eddystone a couple weeks back. Finally replaced the one I had to let go of in the mid 80's. This one looks like a bookend to either my Remington or the Winchester I gave to my son. Had another Winchester but traded it for a Trapdoor. So, that means the Winchester spot in the safe is still being held by a Pattern '14 :)

Merc
10-04-2017, 01:08
I've used the Otis stuff a long while back. It works as it's supposed to and I have nothing bad to say. A matter of personal preference I still rely on my rods.

Since you mentioned M1917's...I picked up a sweet looking Eddystone a couple weeks back. Finally replaced the one I had to let go of in the mid 80's. This one looks like a bookend to either my Remington or the Winchester I gave to my son. Had another Winchester but traded it for a Trapdoor. So, that means the Winchester spot in the safe is still being held by a Pattern '14 :)

JB,

How about posting a photo.

Merc
10-04-2017, 01:09
It's not the pull though or rod that matters. It's having the first well soaked in solvent and the solvent gets left there for 20 minutes or so. Gives the solvent time to work.

Great idea. I'll try that next time I clean a bore.

Merc
10-04-2017, 01:37
I found an effective way to protect the rifle muzzle when cleaning with a rod (although I probably won't be using them any more). The photos show a device that's called an "anti short bushing." It's an electrical device designed to be used on armoured cables to protect against the metal sheath from wearing away the wire insulation. They are available at Home Depot, Lowes, etc. in their electrical dept and comes in a box of 50 and cost a couple bucks. It's fortunate for us that they are funnel shaped and split. The funnel shape keeps the rod centered inside the bore and away from the muzzle wall and the split allows the bushing to be easily placed on the rod.

JB White
10-04-2017, 09:11
JB,

How about posting a photo.

Looking for another host site. After all these years Photobucket now wants $399 for third party hosting. Gotta clean up my albums, save the ones I still want, and forget about them.
Oh..hit the button too soon. Meant to add your bushing idea looks pretty good. With the split does it ever fall off? If not, then I can probably bury my brass protectors in the bottom of the cleaning kit. (18" tool box)

AZshooter
10-04-2017, 09:28
]Looking for another host site[/B]. After all these years Photobucket now wants $399 for third party hosting. Gotta clean up my albums, save the ones I still want, and forget about them.
Oh..hit the button too soon. Meant to add your bushing idea looks pretty good. With the split does it ever fall off? If not, then I can probably bury my brass protectors in the bottom of the cleaning kit. (18" tool box)

Why?? It's easy to load a pic directly from your computer picture files. So much simpler than using a hosting site.

Merc
10-05-2017, 03:22
Looking for another host site. After all these years Photobucket now wants $399 for third party hosting. Gotta clean up my albums, save the ones I still want, and forget about them.

The trick is to install the bushing on the rod, then start the rod/patch into the muzzle and push/compress the bushing (still on the rod) down into the muzzle as you push the rod/patch through the bore. Keep it there while you pull the rod back out and repeat the process. You'll notice that, due to the split and taper of the bushing, the funnel effect increases as you press the bushing into the muzzle which causes the upper end of the rod to be centered in the muzzle while the patch holder keeps the opposite end centered through the bore. The act of pressing the bushing into the bore creates enough friction that it usually stays in place on its own but I always kept my finger on it to make sure that it doesn't work it's way out. I found the bushing is the perfect size for a .30 caliber barrel.

bruce
10-05-2017, 06:21
I found an effective way to protect the rifle muzzle when cleaning with a rod (although I probably won't be using them any more). The photos show a device that's called an "anti short bushing." It's an electrical device designed to be used on armoured cables to protect against the metal sheath from wearing away the wire insulation. They are available at Home Depot, Lowes, etc. in their electrical dept and comes in a box of 50 and cost a couple bucks. It's fortunate for us that they are funnel shaped and split. The funnel shape keeps the rod centered inside the bore and away from the muzzle wall and the split allows the bushing to be easily placed on the rod.

Extremely good idea. Have used a variety of shade tree ideas to protect the muzzle of my M-1 rifles when cleaning. KleenBore has a brass muzzle guard that works well. However, these anti-short bushings look to be a better idea. Thanks. Sincerely. bruce.