PDA

View Full Version : Guessing a Bump Fire Device

togor
10-02-2017, 06:28
Heard some of the audio out of Las Vegas. Rate of fire sounds like he was using a bump fire device to spray rounds into the crowd from a big magazine. Bad bad situation, terrible tragedy.

leftyo
10-02-2017, 07:12
why would you presume such a thing. he could have also illegally modified his weapons. its a horrible thing, no need to start with the unknown BS!

togor
10-02-2017, 07:18
why would you presume such a thing. he could have also illegally modified his weapons. its a horrible thing, no need to start with the unknown BS!

Just going by the rate of fire and duration. Bump device a lot simpler to install than a sear mod. Maybe they'll tell us, maybe they won't. Sorry if I don't sit quietly by while waiting for some anti-gun reporter who doesn't know firearms to give me the story.

leftyo
10-02-2017, 07:37
no instead your gonna make crap up yourself! way to go!

togor
10-02-2017, 07:51
no instead your gonna make crap up yourself! way to go!

Chill out! This crowd can handle a discussion without losing it. At least I think they can.

leftyo
10-02-2017, 07:53
Chill out! This crowd can handle a discussion without losing it. At least I think they can.

no, you know they cant. better yet you should be smart enough not to fuel fear, and get the anti gun crap riled up with speculation! more than likely its going to get bad enough without lighting the fire here!

JB White
10-02-2017, 07:54
Togor, the rate of fire is only distorted background noise in iPhone video. How are you able to distinguish a bump fire from select fire or Full auto when you don't know the weapon involved and the cyclic rate?

togor
10-02-2017, 08:03
Togor, the rate of fire is only distorted background noise in iPhone video. How are you able to distinguish a bump fire from select fire or Full auto when you don't know the weapon involved and the cyclic rate?

JB maybe the audio I heard was clearer. Don't know. Don't feel like arguing, will pray for the victims.

JB White
10-02-2017, 08:11
JB maybe the audio I heard was clearer. Don't know. Don't feel like arguing, will pray for the victims.

I'll go along with you there. To be honest, I was so taken back by this all I hadn't even thought about a bump fire or trigger crank device until you mentioned it. I only knew it was quick. As it stands, the only ones who know (for now) are the investigators and possibly a few on scene police officers if they recognized what they found in the shooters room. Time will tell us if you're WAG is right.

swampyankee
10-02-2017, 11:38
Come on now, we all know it will be reported as a full auto AR15 style assault rifle ,that everyone can buy at their local gunshow , and the NRA fully supports.

Sandpebble
10-02-2017, 01:19
Come on now, we all know it will be reported as a full auto AR15 style assault rifle ,that everyone can buy at their local gunshow , and the NRA fully supports.

And when thats proven wrong .... will that make you feel better ??

S.A. Boggs
10-02-2017, 02:18
And when thats proven wrong .... will that make you feel better ??
I for one are tired of biased reporting with "journalists" using black, deadly assault computer's with unlimited amount capacity thumb drives. Did you know that anyone can buy one of these easily concealed assault computers, no license required and can be readily taken into any school! Parents buy and let their children use these black assault computers without adult supervision. Do you have any idea how many words these deadly machines can spurt out with the single stroke of a key? Isn't it time that Congress stepped in and stopped this deadly carnage for the sake of the children.
Sam

bruce
10-02-2017, 02:53
Got no use for the left-wing propensity for hyping anything and everything that will allow them to advance their agenda. In this case, they are quite willing to walk over dead bodies to advance their social/political concerns. It is not atypical of them. All that being said, I can well understand exactly why most everyone would identify the sound of the gunfire as that of a automatic weapon. The simple fact is ... any normal person hearing the sound of gunfire on those video clips would say that it is a machine gun/automatic weapon firing. Whether or not it is from a burst fire device, a crank device or some more substantial modification to a weapon is irrelevant. It is one of those little nicities that we consider important, but it simply is not important to anyone in the general population. That's just the way it is. JMHO. Sincerely. bruce.

p246
10-02-2017, 03:49
We will eventually know what he used. For now we can only speculate. Having messed with both a bump fire equipped AR and AK with 1.5 lbs triggers they were easy to do mag dumps but not easy to do short controlled bursts. I did hear the rate of fire change or slow at the end of the bursts. Makes me think box fed instead of belt fed. Time will tell.

togor
10-02-2017, 04:10
https://youtu.be/uXgU0lmvaMU

Very very bad.

barretcreek
10-02-2017, 04:44
First the disclaimer: I have never fired a full auto weapon. Judging by the length of the bursts, two things strike me. The cadence is uniform, not sporadic as might be expected of a manipulated semi auto. Also, that is a lot of rounds fired without pause. My understanding is all of these drum mags for an AR are crap for wannabee Rambo types. So we'll find out what weapons this wanker had. My cynical self wants it to be repatriated Fast and Furious hardware.

Thank you for posting that Togor.

Sandpebble
10-02-2017, 04:56
I for one are tired of biased reporting with "journalists" using black, deadly assault computer's with unlimited amount capacity thumb drives. Did you know that anyone can buy one of these easily concealed assault computers, no license required and can be readily taken into any school! Parents buy and let their children use these black assault computers without adult supervision. Do you have any idea how many words these deadly machines can spurt out with the single stroke of a key? Isn't it time that Congress stepped in and stopped this deadly carnage for the sake of the children.
Sam

Well for a start Sam I'm not sure that any of us has heard any biased reporting on this incident so far .

Be it Full Auto ... Rapid Fire Device.... Semi Auto with quick finger or a friggin single shot...there are 59 DEAD...... 520+ Injured ...... Thats over 500 + people shot in one incident .

In this case we are all victims of our own agenda .. right to bear.... the case of "if more people were armed we could have taken out the shooter" ain't cuttin no ice this time .

Now its gonna start again .... "them sonsabitches wanna use this to curtail my gun rights" ..... gee.. ya think? ... what a nerve

The officer on the scene described it as full auto.... I've lived in two states where it is legal to own a full auto..... pay the $200 tax stamp ... pass the nics... its yours. Yet we don't want mental health professionals like Sam here to report that ill health to the government.... that would be an intrusion on the mentally unstables rights....

but what about your right to attend a concert without fear of high capacity assault ?

Will this bring another attack on our rights to own a gun ?... you better believe it. What I don't understand is why we don't understand why....

Please re read your childish analogy Sam.... then come back and tell me of the amounts of death those reporters and their black assault computers are responsible for.

Marty T.
10-02-2017, 05:30
.Well, all bickering aside, Obama was the world's worst at jumping to conclusions with no info. All it started was trouble. Seems it is happening here. How about we wait for the ones on the scene to report and then we'll know. Trump is always getting scorned for not jumping in with no info, but I for one applaud his waiting till making any statement. Again, how about we do that instead of trying to start arguments with no info.
Machine gun, bump fire, trigger device. Does not matter. IT WAS THE PERSON, NOT THE GUN.
We need God and sanity back in society.

leftyo
10-02-2017, 05:43
.Well, all bickering aside, Obama was the world's worst at jumping to conclusions with no info. All it started was trouble. Seems it is happening here. How about we wait for the ones on the scene to report and then we'll know. Trump is always getting scorned for not jumping in with no info, but I for one applaud his waiting till making any statement. Again, how about we do that instead of trying to start arguments with no info.
Machine gun, bump fire, trigger device. Does not matter. IT WAS THE PERSON, NOT THE GUN.

exactly!

Sandpebble
10-02-2017, 06:01

" IT WAS THE PERSON, NOT THE GUN.".......... I think you're onto something .... Dems got it all wrong .... we need to ban Persons ...not guns

Fred Pillot
10-02-2017, 06:06
The anti's are now talking about the new legislation about easing the Federal laws governing sound suppressors. "How irresponsible is this" Hillary says. They're saying "what if this guy had easy access to a silencer, he could have done way more damage". Well, silencers are legal in Nevada. He chose not to use one. But don't confuse me with the facts.

leftyo
10-02-2017, 06:06
" IT WAS THE PERSON, NOT THE GUN.".......... I think you're onto something .... Dems got it all wrong .... we need to ban Persons ...not guns

maybe making it illegal to kill other people would help...oh wait , it already is illegal! making things illegal, and banning inanimate objects doesnt work.

blackhawknj
10-02-2017, 08:55
How many gunshot wounds as opposed to those trampled to death in the panic. And converting an semiautomatic to full auto ? That's very easy, we all know that ?

JB White
10-02-2017, 09:12
Latest report tonight says the shooter had two "bump stock rifles" in the hotel room. Ballistics will determine whether or not they were used. They haven't said anything about full auto or converted weapons yet.

leftyo
10-02-2017, 09:20
Latest report tonight says the shooter had two "bump stock rifles" in the hotel room. Ballistics will determine whether or not they were used. They haven't said anything about full auto or converted weapons yet.

depends which report you listen too. have heard converted ar15 here. havent heard anything about finding a bumpfire stock. i personally believ the news retards dont know anything yet either and are guessing, just like everyone else.

m1ashooter
10-02-2017, 09:27
All those people just sitting there getting slaughtered is sickening. My boss who is a three tour Iraq and Afghanistan Infantryman said he could not identify the sound of the weapon being fired. I've got a lot of trigger time on an AR15/M1/14 and I can't ID the sound either. The sound remind me of a Gatling gun. Also I picked up the sound of two weapons but I wonder if it was an echo I heard.

The investigation will be interesting to read about.

Allen
10-03-2017, 04:09

Yep, Togor was right.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/las-vegas-gunman-used-bump-stock-device-speed-021446529.html

m1ashooter
10-03-2017, 06:07
I want to see the weapons. I've seen two of the reportedly used weapons both AR's and neither had a bump stock on them.

togor
10-03-2017, 06:46
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/10/03/first-photographs-inside-las-vegas-gunmans-hotel-room-show-assault/

One report.

togor
10-03-2017, 07:15
https://www.stackingbodies.com/collections/mags/products/mag-surefire-ar223-100rd-alum-gray

This looks like the mag in the photo. As someone predicted, box fed. The logo for this seller seems in painfully poor taste.

Roadkingtrax
10-03-2017, 07:17
Trump said today, "We'll be talking about gun laws as time goes on." Wonder what's to be discussed?

Major Tom
10-03-2017, 07:19
Whether it was "bump fired" or an illegal modification does not really matter to me. 59 people dead and over 500 wounded is the core matter. In such a crowded situation as this was there is certainly going to be wounds caused by stampeding. The shooter bought all his guns legally. The ammonia nitrate can be easily obtained. The Tannerite also easy to get. And an AR16 can be easily modified by anyone. At the PD there are confiscated "lightening links" easily made.

Art
10-03-2017, 08:12
Whether it was "bump fired" or an illegal modification does not really matter to me. 59 people dead and over 500 wounded is the core matter. In such a crowded situation as this was there is certainly going to be wounds caused by stampeding. The shooter bought all his guns legally. The ammonia nitrate can be easily obtained. The Tannerite also easy to get. And an AR16 can be easily modified by anyone. At the PD there are confiscated "lightening links" easily made.

Your point is well taken, but:

The difference is that a bump fire device is legal under Federal law, and the other modification options for semi auto rifles you mentioned are not. If he had such a device (bump fire) he bought that legally too. I have no idea what modification he made (or had made) but if it was the attachment of something like a "bump stock" there is going to be a serious discussion over that one and some of it's going to be in congress.

Fred Pillot
10-03-2017, 03:11
I'm sure that the Stackin Bodies magazine manufacturer will be getting sued.

Dick Hosmer
10-03-2017, 04:08
I'm sure that the Stackin Bodies magazine manufacturer will be getting sued.

That would be unfortunate, since the item is "legal", but where is the need for such an item on the civilian market?

The "black rifle crowd" has been dancing around the fringe of having waaaay too much firepower like moths around a flame. Sooner or later, something (will Vegas be it?) "bad" enough is going to happen, when even solid gun people are going to say - "hey, this is enough - throw out the bathwater, and we no longer care if the baby (2A) goes with it.

Trump (and I'm all for him) was an anomaly - the hippie-educated 'snowflake' electorate is changing. If the dims get a better candidate, look out. I hope HRC does run again, but I doubt she will.

I'm aware of the argument that a LOT of shooters/hunters are ex-military - and bless their hearts for it - who want to own "something like I carried in the war". Today, that doesn't mean a trapdoor or a Krag, or even an M1 (yes, I hear some of you saying "what's a Krag?") but rather a whole new level of weaponry, which is NOT as easily malleable for civilian use, raising issues never imagined before. Combine that with the precipitous slide into a lack of civility, poor mental health treatment by the VA, a changing electorate, race issues like we thought had pretty much gone away - until 8 years of BHO, and there is a perfect storm on the horizon. Something needs to be done to clean up this mess, and I'm afraid some of what will be done will not be to our liking.

Dick Hosmer
10-03-2017, 04:18

It may not matter at this point for the Vegas victims, but I, for one, think the bump stock is a very BAD idea - it is nothing more than a cheat to produce results similar to that which is illegal in most areas. In other words, it is what lawyers call a "sharp practice". It is basically giving the "establishment" (BHO at the time) the middle finger. It serves no "sporting purpose". Yes, I know that a similar effect is possible (with practice) using a limp shoulder and a stiff finger, at the cost of some accuracy - but that does not make it "right".

leftyo
10-03-2017, 05:13
firearms in the constitution are not about "sporting purposes".

m1ashooter
10-03-2017, 07:21
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/10/03/first-photographs-inside-las-vegas-gunmans-hotel-room-show-assault/

One report.

Thanks

Dick Hosmer
10-03-2017, 08:46
firearms in the constitution are not about "sporting purposes".

The word "firearms" does not appear in the Second Amendment, nor in the main body of the Constitution. The operative word is simply "arms" which, I suppose, can be interpreted as anything from a pitchfork to a rocket launcher. The intent was to assure that citizens were not to be deprived of a means of defense against a government run amok.

I take "sporting purposes" to differentiate the civilians from the military - there are basic differences in the level of weaponry involved. Citizens do not need virtually unlimited firepower. I am NOT advocating the abolition of private ownership, simply trying to grasp on a reasonable definition of what is proper and what is over the line. I say we start with obvious cheats such as the bump-stock. My first thought when I saw an ad for one was WTF, this isn't right.

Dick Hosmer
10-03-2017, 08:47
deleted duplicate post

leftyo
10-03-2017, 08:54
i get what your saying, and dont totally disagree with you. my caveat to it is, the libs consider sporting arms to mean only something one would use for deer hunting, or duck hunting. every time you here one of the democrats talk about gun control they always have to add in "we dont want your hunting rifle". as for so called gun control, im personally unwilling to give an inch, because the libs want the whole mile, and wont stop until they get it.

Dick Hosmer
10-04-2017, 07:28
i get what your saying, and dont totally disagree with you. my caveat to it is, the libs consider sporting arms to mean only something one would use for deer hunting, or duck hunting. every time you here one of the democrats talk about gun control they always have to add in "we dont want your hunting rifle". as for so called gun control, im personally unwilling to give an inch, because the libs want the whole mile, and wont stop until they get it.

You see the core of the problem on our side of the fence. There is a wide latitude of opinion, from those Neville Chamberlains who would give up anything to the gonzo types who (probably after a few beers) think that everyone should have their own sub-machine gun. The dilemma lies in where to draw the line, but we need to participate in the process or the line will be drawn for us. Had this tragedy happened on BHO's watch, I cannot imagine what executive orders would already have been written.

S.A. Boggs
10-04-2017, 07:52
Well for a start Sam I'm not sure that any of us has heard any biased reporting on this incident so far .

Be it Full Auto ... Rapid Fire Device.... Semi Auto with quick finger or a friggin single shot...there are 59 DEAD...... 520+ Injured ...... Thats over 500 + people shot in one incident .

In this case we are all victims of our own agenda .. right to bear.... the case of "if more people were armed we could have taken out the shooter" ain't cuttin no ice this time .

Now its gonna start again .... "them sonsabitches wanna use this to curtail my gun rights" ..... gee.. ya think? ... what a nerve

The officer on the scene described it as full auto.... I've lived in two states where it is legal to own a full auto..... pay the $200 tax stamp ... pass the nics... its yours. Yet we don't want mental health professionals like Sam here to report that ill health to the government.... that would be an intrusion on the mentally unstables rights....

but what about your right to attend a concert without fear of high capacity assault ?

Will this bring another attack on our rights to own a gun ?... you better believe it. What I don't understand is why we don't understand why....

Please re read your childish analogy Sam.... then come back and tell me of the amounts of death those reporters and their black assault computers are responsible for.
Childish, you should know how to define this:hello:...I can't.:banana100: There are mental health professional's who do not want ill people to be reported for two reasons. 1] It is not the government's right to intrude into this type of health care. 2] If people know that will be reported to the govt.com, then this same people are less likely to come into the clinic's for treatment. If a person is stopped and cannabis is found should those people now be reported to gov.com as a "user" and denied the right to purchase any firearm according to form 4473? How about public intox and we are well aware of "domestic violence". If someone was angry in print that he/she couldn't buy any alcohol, does this precipate a watch list and subsequent denial due to anger issues or other plausible reasons? Just curious...:icon_study:
Sam