PDA

View Full Version : Disaster relief . . . .

Faulkner
10-01-2017, 12:58
With recent events and the hype surrounding them I thought I would remind folks that;

1. All disasters are local
2. There is no Federal agency just waiting to come rescue you.
3. If you want to ensure your best chance at disaster survival and recovery you need to:

A. Take responsibility for your own safety and be able to self-sustain for several days (my opinion is 2 weeks)

B. Support your local fire, police, EMS, rescue and emergency management organizations- they are the ones who will be coming to help you.

Vern Humphrey
10-03-2017, 10:26
And you need to PLAN. I read the New Orleans disaster plan after Katrina hit. It said something like this, "If the mayor orders the city evacuated the Director of Transportation will provide busses, drivers and dispatchers." And that was the WHOLE evacuation plan!

How can you expect outsiders to come in and provide effective help without a detailed plan to follow?

Art
10-03-2017, 10:48
With recent events and the hype surrounding them I thought I would remind folks that;

1. All disasters are local
2. There is no Federal agency just waiting to come rescue you.
3. If you want to ensure your best chance at disaster survival and recovery you need to:

A. Take responsibility for your own safety and be able to self-sustain for several days (my opinion is 2 weeks)

B. Support your local fire, police, EMS, rescue and emergency management organizations- they are the ones who will be coming to help you.

Yup!! You got that right. Two weeks of self sustenance is the minimum; after Hurricane Alicia in '83 we had to "self sustain" for 19 days and weren't really prepared for that - we are now.

leftyo
10-03-2017, 05:24
if you are waiting for the gvmnt to help you in any kind of disaster, your already in big trouble.