PDA

View Full Version : Next generation in self defense

JB White
09-30-2017, 04:27
I think this latest whiz-bang gizmo gadget is probably like all multi-tools. Can perform tasks but not as well as a traditional tools all the time. Strikes me as having too much to go wrong :icon_scratch:

http://www.foxnews.com/tech/2017/07/10/creeps-and-criminals-beware-hand-held-defender-247-device-takes-pepper-spray-to-next-level.html

bruce
09-30-2017, 05:58
Good idea. When revolvers first hit the market, they only fired a very minor power .22 cartridge. But, technology improved and look what was the result. Early attempts at moving from SA to DA firing and then from revolvers to semi-automatics required time for the technology to develop and for the ammunition to be adapted to parallel improvements with propellants, primers, etc. Same with this device. It is a good idea that will get better with development. That is nothing but good for people who need a means of self-protection. Sincerely. bruce.

JB White
09-30-2017, 07:37
Bruce, my thinking that it depends on a battery or perhaps a USB recharge etc. along with the lag time that often happens with wireless. How often will certain people check the charge status? Quite possible it will not work in a split second like a revolver or pistol...or even an old can of mace.

S.A. Boggs
09-30-2017, 12:03
I was trained to watch people, too many are obsessed with their phone and have a negative situational awareness. Problem often is if you feel you are in danger it is often too late. I have a canister of pepper spray attached to my rig next to Sigmund ready to use. Wolf is now use to going with me and naturally looks around. Very little gets past Wolfs senses! My cell phone stay's in my pocket unless I am stationary and continue to be observant. Years ago when my wife and I were first dating she asked me why I always sat facing a door in a restaurant. I told her the story of former Marshall William Hickok and why I ALWAYS face the door...she never asked again. IMHO this product gives a false sense of security, years ago females were advised to carry a whistle to blow if attacked. :icon_scratch:
Sam

barretcreek
09-30-2017, 07:16
Taking the CC course and transitioning from strictly bullseye to various types of steel shooting (plus having some junkies take my wristwatch and wallet years ago) convinced me that I can walk around just about anywhere with a can of spray discreetly in my hand and get off a "first shot" before I can draw a CC pistol.

bruce
10-01-2017, 03:53
Once upon a time high tech weaponry was a stick. Rocks ... not so good up close. But then someone figured out how to sharpen rocks which became ... knives! And the world changed. People found better things to do with sticks and rocks. Along came all manner of weapons ... each one mostly better than what came before. Why, flintlocks cornered the market till percussion caps came along! Rimfires were a real step forward but centerfire cartridges were even better. Then came smokeless powder. Good ole Elmer thought everyone should stick w/ big bore revolvers ... maybe even black powder and cast lead bullets. But John M.'s little 1911 was a step beyond Elmer's single-actions. The Luger in 9mm pointed the way to smaller, lighter, faster, etc. Now, can't see any reason why batteries, charging, etc. should be a problem. Gas has been being used on people since various folks started messing around with mustard, chlorine, phosgene, etc. No reason this new take on a old idea should not be successful. The overwhelming vast majority of people simply do not need to carry a pistol for self-protection. For the most part those that do do so b/c it makes them feel at ease when they worry that they might run into something that leads the 30 minute news cycle ... somewhere or other. JMHO. Sincerely. bruce.

blackhawknj
10-01-2017, 02:39
Makes sense in a jurisdiction where a CCW is virtually impossible.

JB White
10-01-2017, 06:04
The evolution of the weapons described reflects improvements in speed and efficiency. Until you got gas and chemicals involved. Efficient killers on masses but not used against a single attacker during a split second of self defense.
Akin to taking 5 seconds to deploy a firearm in a sudden street confrontation. Practcally doomed to lose unless luck intervenes.

This new gizmo might be OK under ideal circumstances, but what happens when there is a broken link in the chain it takes to operate it? When it comes to my life I don't trust batteries. I'd rather trust a blackjack to always be there over some electronic WiFi gizzmo when my arse is on the line. Even a simple pepper spray doesn't depend on batteries and Bluetooth.

If this new gizzmo fails for just a hiccup, it can be knocked out of the way just as quickly, and now if you can't fight, your arse is theirs.