PDA

View Full Version : Eagle Creek Fire

jon_norstog
09-26-2017, 09:08
I just got back from a few weeks on the road, ID and North Dakota mainly. I got out ahead of the Eagle Creek Fire in the Columbia Gorge, which closed down I-84 for a few days and burned about 50,000 acres of very scenic public lands. The smoke followed me everywhere I went! What I heard/saw on radio and the occasional TV mad it sound like the whole area was ruined.

One the way home, the westbound lanes of I-84 were open and I drove through the burn area which runs about 20 miles from east of Cascade Locks to west of Multnomah Falls. You can smell it a lot further than that.

It looks like a good burn to me. The fire didn't crown in the areas I could see and most of the big trees look like they will survive. It was mostly a ground fire that burned up the fuel on the ground and cleared out a lot of underbrush and dog hair trees. The Doug Fir trees were especially resistant to burning and are standing good and green even when the broadleafs next to them have their leaves burnt brown.

Let's see what spring brings!

jn

Ken The Kanuck
09-26-2017, 09:27
Hi Jon,

Any effect on the hunting?

I am going to look for some muleys next week and my hunting grounds got hit hard with fires this year, it will be interesting to see what if any effect they had.

KTK

Ken The Kanuck
09-26-2017, 11:21
Hi Jon,

Any effect on the hunting?

I am going to look for some muleys next week and my hunting grounds got hit hard with fires this year, it will be interesting to see what if any effect they had.

KTK

Vern Humphrey
09-26-2017, 02:02
In general, a fire like that will improve hunting -- in the next few years as the tender green stuff starts growing.