PDA

View Full Version : Vacation Williamsburg Va

p246
09-25-2017, 06:17
Next week my wife and all three adult kids are meeting in Williamsburg for a weeks vacation. It will be the first time all of us have been together since Jan of 2012 when the youngest left home after enlisting. The older two had already successfully launched. I was wondering if anyone could suggest any of the local attractions or more importantly which ones to avoid. Thanks in advance.

SteveC
09-25-2017, 06:29
Williamsburg Winery is a fine place to visit. Great food, wine, and lodging if you care to stay there a day or two. The wife and I are planning a day trip out that way next week, and are considering a trip to Jamestown or Colonial Williamsburg. Went to both places as a kid and my memory of both are that they are both well worth re-visiting.

Steve

p246
09-25-2017, 09:56
Williamsburg Winery is a fine place to visit. Great food, wine, and lodging if you care to stay there a day or two. The wife and I are planning a day trip out that way next week, and are considering a trip to Jamestown or Colonial Williamsburg. Went to both places as a kid and my memory of both are that they are both well worth re-visiting.

Steve
This Jamestown and Colonial Williamsburg were on the list. The winery as been added. It looks like there is some hiking offered there we will try some of that to.

JB White
09-26-2017, 04:28
Colonial Williamsburg has a decent web site along with a map. I haven't been there in a long time but my neighbors a few doors down were there four or five weeks ago.
Not every represented trade is exactly "native" to the area but they are correct for the period. I liked the foundry and the blacksmith shop. They had a working gunsmith there too. My neighbors enjoy eateries and boutiques etc. yet we both have fond memories. (I've been told the glassblower is no longer)
No matter what you see there I'm betting you'll have a great time.

snakehunter
09-26-2017, 05:53
Next week my wife and all three adult kids are meeting in Williamsburg for a weeks vacation. It will be the first time all of us have been together since Jan of 2012 when the youngest left home after enlisting. The older two had already successfully launched. I was wondering if anyone could suggest any of the local attractions or more importantly which ones to avoid. Thanks in advance.

My wife and I are planning a trip there specifically to visit the Colonial Village.

m1ashooter
09-26-2017, 01:21
I was just there in April for our son's USCG A School graduation at USCG Training Center Yorktown. Besides Jamestown and Colonial Williamsburg you can take the Colonial Parkway and hop over to Yorktown. Tour the battle field, eat at a place called the Pub on the waterfront and see the new museum. You might get lucky and see a class of Coasties on the run through the area.

lyman
09-26-2017, 01:35
do the reserve tasting with the tour, much better than the 'regular' tasting

Steve

p246
09-26-2017, 01:57
Thanks for all the ideas, hopefully we are in for a great week.

Robert Scott
09-26-2017, 03:40
When we have guests visiting I always drive up route 5 to visit the old plantation homes. President John Tyler's home for example. We live 15 minutes from Williamsburg. You can also visit Busch Gardens. Not sure if they still have tours of the Anheuser Busch (InBev) brewery.

Check out wydaily.com for a local insight as to whats going on...

JB White
09-26-2017, 03:46
You won,t be far from Norfolk, Hampton Roads....Virginia Beach...
Plenty to see depending upon your preferences.

m1ashooter
09-26-2017, 04:23
This list might help.

http://www.forcecom.uscg.mil/Our-Organization/FORCECOM-UNITS/TraCen-Yorktown/Information/Links-of-Interest/

PaFrank
09-27-2017, 04:36
We were there for a few days last summer.. Be sure to visit the re-enactor events... like the reading of the Declaration of Independence in front of the town hall I think it was.. The Governors mansion costs extra but its worth it.. All the re-enactor events are very well done... If your a history buff, you'll have a great trip..

and when you HEAR it read to you, just as it was done over 200 years ago.... and you realize how much of what was said then, is true today... its very chilling and inspiring.. It makes you want to do a lot of loading for sure..

p246
09-28-2017, 06:21
When we have guests visiting I always drive up route 5 to visit the old plantation homes. President John Tyler's home for example. We live 15 minutes from Williamsburg. You can also visit Busch Gardens. Not sure if they still have tours of the Anheuser Busch (InBev) brewery.

Check out wydaily.com for a local insight as to whats going on...

That's for the link, wife and I looked it over and found it helpful.

p246
09-28-2017, 06:22
You won,t be far from Norfolk, Hampton Roads....Virginia Beach...
Plenty to see depending upon your preferences.

Thanks JB I think we are hitting Virginia Beach for sure one day

p246
09-28-2017, 06:24
We were there for a few days last summer.. Be sure to visit the re-enactor events... like the reading of the Declaration of Independence in front of the town hall I think it was.. The Governors mansion costs extra but its worth it.. All the re-enactor events are very well done... If your a history buff, you'll have a great trip..

and when you HEAR it read to you, just as it was done over 200 years ago.... and you realize how much of what was said then, is true today... its very chilling and inspiring.. It makes you want to do a lot of loading for sure..

Sounds like the guys all want to hit this stuff, girls not so much. Gonna have to split up one day lol

p246
09-28-2017, 06:27
Question Colonial Williamsburg shows a one day ticket and a three day tickets that's only 10 dollars more. Is it something large enough one would want to buy the three day ticket or is will one day suffice.

Liam
09-28-2017, 06:48
Historic Jamestowne is just a couple miles from downtown Williamsburg. Went first time in 4th grade, and still enjoy visiting.
http://historicjamestowne.org

JB White
09-28-2017, 03:05
Question Colonial Williamsburg shows a one day ticket and a three day tickets that's only 10 dollars more. Is it something large enough one would want to buy the three day ticket or is will one day suffice.

For most it's a one day thing for the experience. Depending upon your tastes, itinerary, and budget, should you want to spend an extra half day (or more) before moving on then $10 is a better deal than paying another...what is it now? $35-$40?
Since you're doing the travel route, a day should be enough but you won't see everything.

p246
09-28-2017, 07:34
For most it's a one day thing for the experience. Depending upon your tastes, itinerary, and budget, should you want to spend an extra half day (or more) before moving on then $10 is a better deal than paying another...what is it now? $35-$40?
Since you're doing the travel route, a day should be enough but you won't see everything.

Thanks JB

Robert Scott
10-13-2017, 03:14
How was your trip to Williamsburg? What impressed you the most? Did you all have a good time?

p246
10-13-2017, 07:57
How was your trip to Williamsburg? What impressed you the most? Did you all have a good time?

We had a great time. I enjoyed Colonial Williamsburg the most out of the group but history is my thing. The man speaking at the gunsmith shop was very knowledgeable and he and my son had a long discussion that was interesting. My wife enjoyed Jamestown the most because of the old glass kiln still in use. We got to board the Susan Constance and Godspeed, but the 3rd ship was gone. Everyone liked Yorktown and at the end of the tour we ate at a nice spot on the pier. My wife tried raw oysters for the first time and reportedly the last.

We also went to Virginia Beach one day. I spent the morning with one daughter and son in law and we went to tour the USS Wisconsin. The museum there was also very good. Once done we met the rest of the family on the beach. There was a lot of activity at the airfield near by and we got to see a lot of FA 18s taking off and landing.

There was a lot of other stuff I wanted to do but as always we ran out of time. All in all I enjoyed it immensely. With all the kids grown and successfully launched it funny how hard it is to get them in one place for 7 days.

Robert Scott
10-15-2017, 02:28
So glad to hear. Next time try to vist the aviation museum (link below) ; they aren't too far from where you saw the F-18s at Oceana. I sent my daughters up in a 1941 Stearman for a 30 minute ride. They loved it.

And of course the Mariners Museum in Newport News which is restoring the turret of the USS Monitor.

http://www.militaryaviationmuseum.org

p246
10-15-2017, 06:49
So glad to hear. Next time try to vist the aviation museum (link below) ; they aren't too far from where you saw the F-18s at Oceana. I sent my daughters up in a 1941 Stearman for a 30 minute ride. They loved it.

And of course the Mariners Museum in Newport News which is restoring the turret of the USS Monitor.

http://www.militaryaviationmuseum.org

Thanks for the tip. There is so much to do in that area. Great place to vacation.

JB White
10-16-2017, 10:25
Sounds as though you had a good time. Those vacations are always the best.
Curious as it came up earlier...How much time did you spend in the Colonial section? One day? Day and a half??