PDA

View Full Version : My future

S.A. Boggs
09-12-2017, 06:43
Now that I have a clearer picture of my health I can now go forth. Years ago I ran a reloading business that catered to Leo's and a few dealer's. The Leo's were great, the dealer's not so. Had one dealer that was so dishonest in his dealings [how he stayed in business I never figured out] that he personally checked every box in every case to make sure there was 50 in the box. I also took his check directly to his bank to get cashed immediately. I plan now to concentrate on Leo's only. The difference is that I am going to deal in handguns and ammo as well as components, I could not compete with the local Wal-Mart on prices for shoulder weapons. I have been down this road before and I know what to expect and what to do/not do. Going to go ahead and apply for license at the state and local level, insurance and so forth. The big difference is that I don't have to make money to support a family now that I am retired. Also, except for some electricity and propane no overhead. The local Leo's I have talked to like the idea as I won't have to charge as much and they can shoot more as well. What say ye?
Sam

Allen
09-12-2017, 07:28
I'm sure you will be selling mostly new handguns so this wouldn't apply so much but back in the 60's-70's we had a gun shop nearby that had a range in the back. A person could try out a used weapon if they wanted to before purchasing. The dealer sold loose rounds at a much higher rate than the full box rate so he made a few cents there, the buyer could purchase 3 or 4 rounds, step out the back door and blast away. It was a homey atmosphere and he sold a LOT of guns that way. You apparently already know about all the unnecessary rules and regulations the BATF puts on individuals to own a FFL. I hear things have gotten worse too. When it comes to money dealers don't seem to realize you are a dealer too and selling wholesale to them would be selling at cost to you perhaps. I think the LEO is the way to go. If I were doing the same I would do the same. My brother was in law enforcement for many years and I came to know many officers from all branches. We are friends with the county sheriff and the previous sheriff. They are much like you and me, most like guns, most have seen it all involving human nature and such.

I don't know what their platform is now but at one time Glock had a deal going where they would offer the local gun shops steep discounts or maybe terms to encourage the sale of their weapons to law enforcement. I think they also provided replacement parts and training. I know over night most of the shops here went gung ho Glock over night with posters and counters full of their pistols. At the same time the LEO agency's supplied the cops with guns and prohibited them from buying their own. They wanted everyone to shoot and share the same caliber ammo. Now, Sig and others may have similar programs---I don't know.

In short (too late) it's good to be doing something you enjoy doing and not have the pressure of making $. Good luck with everything and making friends with the local cops is never a bad thing.

Allen
09-12-2017, 07:37
Another note, as if I didn't ramble on enough in the above post, many LEO's have private ranges. You may already have this avenue but if you deal only with the them you may be able to work something out with acquiring their spent brass (for free). It would be mostly 40cal and 223 but probably what you would be selling back to them as well.

tom gray
09-12-2017, 11:42
sounds like a great idea. I wish you all the best
Tom

Merc
09-17-2017, 05:34
All the best to you Sam.