PDA

View Full Version : American Airlines Gouges Prices

tmark
09-06-2017, 07:57
I saw on the news or Inside Edition that some Floridians tried to get airline tickets. Tickets normally $150 to $300 are now priced at $1200 to $2000. American Airlines claims the price increase is not due to Irma. Right!!!!!

AA says the price increase is due to demand! I wonder what caused the "demand"???????????

Mark in Ottawa
09-06-2017, 08:06
They probably learned the technique from the oil companies. Here in Canada where we are a major exporter of oil, gasoline went up by 30% in 5 days with the oil companies blaming a shortage of refining capacity in Texas. An amazing feat really, since they are still selling gas purchased long before Hurricane Harvey.

tmark
09-06-2017, 08:09
They probably learned the technique from the oil companies. Here in Canada where we are a major exporter of oil, gasoline went up by 30% in 5 days with the oil companies blaming a shortage of refining capacity in Texas. An amazing feat really, since they are still selling gas purchased long before Hurricane Harvey.

This happened on the US east coast in the early seventies during the great oil shortage resulting in odd-even day gas lines at gas stations. It is reputed that tankers waited off shore to be unloaded at the docks during this time.

togor
09-07-2017, 04:04
This is how spot pricing works guys. The price at which you sell is driven in large part by your inventory replacement cost. If you prefer we could let government regulate the prices on things, like say ammo, which has been a source of pricing complaints around here in the past.

Mark in Ottawa
09-07-2017, 02:20
Togor: I know that you are correct but it still rankles, particularly since a lot of people suspect that the spot price will not rise all that much. According to some news reports, the refineries were not particularly damaged by Hurricane Harvey and are back in operation.

togor
09-07-2017, 05:26
Agreed, Mark. We note that the price always goes up faster then it comes back down.

m1ashooter
09-07-2017, 08:38
This happened on the US east coast in the early seventies during the great oil shortage resulting in odd-even day gas lines at gas stations. It is reputed that tankers waited off shore to be unloaded at the docks during this time.

Not reputed, fact. I watch the news while a young Geraldo flew along the harbor and the approach to the harbor while counting the fully loaded tankers.

Former Cav
09-08-2017, 10:58
FL has a law AGAINST gouging.
however, I saw on FOX news that the airlines are exempt as they are ruled by the FED govt.
bunch of sorry so and so's in my humble opinion.
I wouldn't fly on Delta / Northworst unless I absolutely HAD to.
They treat you like a POS
I used to fly on Northworst for many years as I used to live in MPLS, MN and wanted to support the hometown team. Well, when I moved to PHX, AZ, and discovered Southwest, oh MY!! what a refreshing change in attitudes!! They actually make flying fun again.
NOW,, if the TSA would just learn some "manners" !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
YMMV

bruce
09-08-2017, 05:55
American jumped some prices up to IIRC $7000. People posted it on Facebook. Guess who now is getting the egg off their face? Don't you just love it! JMHO. Sincerely. bruce.

Dick Hosmer
09-11-2017, 06:23
Not reputed, fact. I watch the news while a young Geraldo flew along the harbor and the approach to the harbor while counting the fully loaded tankers.

AND not confined to the east coast, either. Had friends (whale-watchers) who observed numerous heavily-loaded tankers held for days off the coast of Northern CA.