PDA

View Full Version : Just found out that I have a distant relitive who--

dave
08-23-2017, 02:03
is buried at Andersonville. Do not know exactly what he would be to me, son of Great Grand Mothers sister, some kind of cousin?? I toured Andersonville severel years ago but never investigated the cemetery. Did look for and found the separate graves of the union guys who were executed for stealing, etc. of fellow prisoners. My cousin found this out and sent me the info. Her husband also has a past relative buried there.
Hope they miss the statue in the town of the prison commandant , but its a very small town. I know he was an SOB but his circumstance's were not good either. Its history and ought to be remembered, good or bad!

barretcreek
08-23-2017, 03:03
My father has a cousin buried in one of the American Cemetaries in Normandy but I don't know how to find him.

Ken The Kanuck
08-23-2017, 03:06
Read a book on Andersonville, sounded like a terrible place. I believe the head man of the place was hung after the war.

KTK

Roadkingtrax
08-23-2017, 03:58
My father has a cousin buried in one of the American Cemetaries in Normandy but I don't know how to find him.

If you have a name or service number, you might try contacting the military graves registration of his branch of service. If there's a grave, they know where he rests.

togor
08-23-2017, 04:25
There are resources online. For example, my maternal grandfather:

https://www.fieldsofhonor-database.com/index.php/en/american-war-cemetery-epinal-d/68396-draper-howard-l-epi-a-8-70

JimW in Ore
08-23-2017, 06:52
I had a relative at Andersonville, ( prisoner) that survived, they reported that he was never right in the head after that experience.

barretcreek
08-23-2017, 06:56
Thank you.

dryheat
08-24-2017, 01:00
My Nat. Geo. DNA research said, Northern European. I guess no one has gotten all that interested in researching every nuance of regular people.
Can you say, Reality T.V.? Not discounting the results of folks who find out their family history is interesting, but you can bet that there will be a faction who will make up whatever people would like to hear and repeat.

dobek
08-24-2017, 01:34

VA may have him listed - https://m.va.gov/gravelocator/

or post his name and I can look it up (I belong to Fold3 the military record site for ancestry.com)

Steve

free1954
08-24-2017, 04:05
VA may have him listed - https://m.va.gov/gravelocator/

or post his name and I can look it up (I belong to Fold3 the military record site for ancestry.com)

Steve

that's a great link sir. thanks for posting it.

snakehunter
08-24-2017, 06:07
Read a book on Andersonville, sounded like a terrible place. I believe the head man of the place was hung after the war.

KTK

The Northern POW camp in Elmira N.Y. was known as the Andersonville of the North. conditions there were really atrocious. I have a Great grand uncle who was captured at Gettysburg and sent to Elmira for the duration. When he and three other guys returned home, they were so malnourished that the other three died. Uncle Will survived and lived to a ripe old age.