PDA

View Full Version : New hunting grounds first pictures

aintright
08-21-2017, 11:44
Just got in on this farm a couple weeks ago . Looks to be promising . Will have to find were they are during the day , as the nice ones were only on camera at night .
The other place I had pictures earlier of seems to have been replaced by all smaller bucks as the season progresses . But by the time hunting season gets here in another 6 weeks who knows were what will be , but for now , it looks good .
Kenneth

Ken The Kanuck
08-21-2017, 12:16
Wow, they look very impressive. Hoping you will run in to them during hunting season.

KTK

jon_norstog
08-21-2017, 12:48
Good luck there. Aint. Wishing you a clean kill and a cool place to hang the meat.

jn

aintright
08-21-2017, 02:25
Thanks all , I hear ya RED , the other farm was the same way , only there wasn't any wall hangers on the off seasons either . I am hoping they hang around , but as the season changes and poachers start hunting , probably this coming month , along with the fact they will be doing pre season runs with dogs , leaves it anybodies guess as to how it will play out .
For me , the game cams are pretty handy through out the season , cause I work away through the week and time is limited for scouting , so a couple of cameras placed here and there gives me a heads up as to what's going on .
Also I am a meat hunter and a full freezer gives a filling that a rack on the wall can't , but don't get me wrong , I would love the opportunity to nail a big one . I am just now getting to the bottom of the freezer from last years harvest , fry about two pounds every Sunday to take down the road with me for me and my room mate , sometimes with a helping of Mac n cheese , sometimes sloppy joes , and sometimes just plain ole deer burger and all the above with a healthy dose of jalapeƱo peppers . Just had some with hamburger helper my step daughter made me , mmmm good !
Kenneth

togor
08-21-2017, 02:47
CWD is a nasty disease. I don't know if its spread will be stopped. In Wisconsin a lot of people were feeding in their back yards, which caused the spread of the prion through saliva. The prion itself is said to be pretty much indestructible, which means that once the disease gets onto a high density area like a game farm, it's there forever. To the question of whether the disease can get to people, best we get is a probably not. It hasn't stopped me but a guy wonders what they'll tell us in 20 years.

leftyo
08-21-2017, 02:53
CWD is a nasty disease. I don't know if its spread will be stopped. In Wisconsin a lot of people were feeding in their back yards, which caused the spread of the prion through saliva. The prion itself is said to be pretty much indestructible, which means that once the disease gets onto a high density area like a game farm, it's there forever. To the question of whether the disease can get to people, best we get is a probably not. It hasn't stopped me but a guy wonders what they'll tell us in 20 years.

being a long time bowhunter, ive seen how deer act, and even without bait they rub each other nose to nose, lick each others eyeballs etc. blaming feeding deer for the spread of this disease is like blaming spoons for making people fat.

barretcreek
08-21-2017, 03:47
Guy with APHIS studied ravens. Feed on carcasses of deer in NE Colorado, including the brains and nerve tissue. Winter in NM and their droppings contain the prions, which are taken up by plants which the deer feed on. Get CWD.

Nasty indeed. Read about some guys in Wisconsin who ate lots of venison and several in the group got Creuzfeld Jacob.

The Brits tracked down Madcow in humans to a few butchers who specialized in Head Cheese and used the same knives on their regular meat. So it may only spread in the nerve tissue.

Ken The Kanuck
08-21-2017, 05:31
Game cameras are a mystery to me. Four years ago I got pictures very similar to yours. Pictures of Great bucks in a group all wall hangers... including a picture of two bucks practicing for a same sex marriage. That year there wasn't a single good buck taken on my property.

The following year no mature bucks on the cameras but a 18 point and a 12 point were killed here (1 w/bow, 1/w rifle). Go figure.

Right now, I am seeing a lot of does and yearlings on the cameras including bunches of turkeys... dozens of this years hatch. It is fun to sit and watch them chase grasshoppers.

The State just outlawed salt and mineral blocks in my county because they don't want deer gathering around them and passing along the CWD. I don't think they have a clue about the real world. There is a place, next to my property that I put out mineral blocks for 4 or 5 years. There is a hole in the ground 4'X4' that they have dug. I quit putting the blocks out there 3 years ago when that property sold... the deer are still active there pawing and licking the mud. The new ban is not likely to change anything.

Red,

The ranchers put salt blocks out for their cattle up this way and I have never seen a moose or muley track around them..Maybe it is a white tail thing?

KTK

Sunray
08-22-2017, 09:27
"...only on camera at night..." The big uns are smarter than the smaller ones. Probably be elsewhere in 6 weeks too. You need to be scouting a week or so before the season opens.
"...never seen a moose..." Bullwinkle gets his salt from the aquatic plants he eats. Not many farms where Bullwinkle roams either. Mule deer are supposedly salt addicts just like Bambi. If there's no salt in the ground and the salt block is close to everything else they think is important.