PDA

View Full Version : Ate at KFC today

dryheat
08-13-2017, 10:36
And it will the last time I set foot in one. The place was so filthy I googled, "what's wrong with KFC". It's a chain that is declining. Kind of like Burger King did when the Brit outfit took them over and ran it by remote control.
My alarms were going off when my foot got stuck to the gunk on the floor while ordering. I nearly walked out then. The food came and we sat down. The more I saw the worse it got. It got way worse. I'm going to write letters.

free1954
08-14-2017, 03:33
You need to write to the right person. KFC's are franchised operations and the company also owns Pizza Hut and Taco Bell. If your local KFC has problems it is likely because of the Franchisee owner. A lot of them have been passed down to heirs and are not as well run now as they once were.

true. if enough people complain they will pull his franchise.

swampyankee
08-14-2017, 04:46
I have three in my area and two of them are as you described the third one is immaculate. All the employees are clean and friendly. If the order takes a little longer than it should they always give something free. Of course the third one is almost always busy and the other two you can walk right in with no waiting.

snakehunter
08-14-2017, 06:00
And it will the last time I set foot in one. The place was so filthy I googled, "what's wrong with KFC". It's a chain that is declining. Kind of like Burger King did when the Brit outfit took them over and ran it by remote control.
My alarms were going off when my foot got stuck to the gunk on the floor while ordering. I nearly walked out then. The food came and we sat down. The more I saw the worse it got. It got way worse. I'm going to write letters.

About a month ago we went to one and were informed they were closing so their menu was drastically shortened and they didn't have what we wanted so we left.

Allen
08-14-2017, 06:42
There was only one left in my area (the whole county). It has closed but while it was open it was extremely clean and kept friendly personel. Perhaps the rent was too high? Popeye's chicken couldn't make it here either. This is a county full of $, overpopulation and tourism too. All we have now is Chick-fil-a, Zaxby's and the deli at Walmart. I miss the chicken pot pies at KFC.

Sunray
08-14-2017, 09:52
3G Capital owns Burger King. Offices in NYC and Rio de Janeiro. No mention of Britain at all. They own Heinz, Kraft, Tim Horton's(over priced coffee and tiny dough nuts) and Popeye's Louisiana Kitchen.
KFC(where the secret ingredient is salt) hasn't been right since The Colonel died in 1980.

dryheat
08-14-2017, 11:31
The Brits had Burger King years ago. I knew someone else took them over and revamped the chain.

Dolt
08-27-2017, 07:36

Stayed at a Motel 6 in Gunnison Colorado one summer. It boasted a "buffet breakfast" I got up the next morning and the breakfast was set out on several cafeteria tables with dirty table cloths. Number 10 cans of strawberry jelly, peanut butter, margarine and orange marmalade with butter knives sticking out of them comprised the condiments. Loafs of store bread still in the wrapper were set out for toast. The whole place was dirty. Manager was not American. I will leave that last sentence to stimulate conversation. Cheers!

dryheat
08-27-2017, 08:54
I sent in a "review" of my dining experience at KFC a week ago. I was required to give some personal information, which I was happy to do. I got a reply apologizing to me for my experience which, "does not reflect their cleanliness expectations"(I'm paraphrasing here since I'll have to dig up the post). It was signed by someone with an Indian sounding name.
That takes some guts. It could have been signed by Bob Smith, you know, the same Bob you talk to in India when you have computer problems.

djt20
08-28-2017, 12:24
never had hygiene issues with them in my area..food is good, place is clean and attendants are friendly.
maybe you should talk to the management.

PWC
08-28-2017, 10:59
Here in Phoenix, LFC has merged with other s like Taco Bell, and Long John Silvers. Last time my wife and I went into one, we had a mixed meal, Tacos, burritos, cole slaw and baked beans. When I ordered the pint of cole slaw, the girl asked me "Is that the big one or the little one?".

lyman
08-28-2017, 04:24
Here in Phoenix, LFC has merged with other s like Taco Bell, and Long John Silvers. Last time my wife and I went into one, we had a mixed meal, Tacos, burritos, cole slaw and baked beans. When I ordered the pint of cole slaw, the girl asked me "Is that the big one or the little one?".

they are all owned by PepsiCo IIRC,

lots of combo places in this area (chicken fish and taco all from one building)

SloopJohnB
08-28-2017, 04:39
Franchises are only as good as the owner/manager AND the corporation's quality control/oversight. Sounds like KFC needs a bit of work in that area.

Ken The Kanuck
08-28-2017, 05:04
Always felt that Americans make the best fried chicken, but not KFC.

KTK

2A-Jay
08-28-2017, 07:57
My Family will not eat at KFC, Long John Silvers, Taco Bell or Pizza Hut. Won't eat at Burger King any longer either. Church's Chicken is better. Purina People Chow (Jack in the Box) is good too. The only fast food place within 30 miles of us is Mc Donalds and it is 13 miles away. We live on the Long Beach Peninsula in WA, being a tourist trap. the local burger place is very expensive for my family of 3 Bacon Cheese burgers with Fries and a Small drink is a $60 meal out on a patio covered over with Tarps.

phil441
08-28-2017, 10:16
The last time I ordered a take-out at KFC about a month ago the breading was crisp and a golden color as expected. The chicken inside was rare. I have to wonder how they did that.
I microwaved the heck out of the rest of the order.
It seems to take awhile for the taste of half-cooked chicken to fade.

2A-Jay
08-28-2017, 10:54
The last time I ate KFC (I used to like the Extra Crispy) it was so greasy I threw it in the trash before I finished the first piece. I will never eat a KFC again. As for Long John Silvers, even they have gone the same way as KFC Greasy! Growing Up Me Had H. Salt Fish and Chips. That was a true treat. haven't seen one of those in almost 40 years.

Allen
08-29-2017, 05:13
The last time I ordered a take-out at KFC about a month ago the breading was crisp and a golden color as expected. The chicken inside was rare. I have to wonder how they did that.

Sounds like that chicken was still frozen hard as a rock before being fried.

alibi
08-31-2017, 07:07
I was looking at the menu when a fat hispanic woman and child walked into the KFC. The hispanic employee came out just then, started talking Spanish to the woman obviously taking her order. I informed the employee I was there first, flipped him off and walked, never to patronize a KFC again. So far KFC, Jack in the box, McDonald's, Domino Pizza, Burger King, Walmart, to name a few, on my list of places that demonstrated they don't need my business.

2A-Jay
08-31-2017, 09:08
I have always gotten Great Service at Domino's and Junk in the Box er um Jack in the Box. I used to like Burger King until they decided to make it company Police to seek out in-documented Aliens for employment then raise their prices while making the product smaller. I will shop at some Wally Worlds, but if they demonstrated lack of care for the customers, I will not shop at that one any longer. Not much worry about going to wally world atm the nearest one is a 140 mile round trip.

AZshooter
09-01-2017, 04:36
A KFC next to Harbor Freight where I did a lot of weekend shopping is now long gone. I get coupons in the mail every few weeks - sometimes for pot pies, but usually for other deals. If I want wings and drumsticks, I can get them cheap at the Kroger's down the street. This KFC was ALWAYS out of everything no pot pies, no thighs or breasts. I even stopped in on weekdays & same story. I finally sent an e-mail; to KFC and complained - got some half a$$ed reply and a link to print a coupon for a free item (they never had available). Wrote back and told them that KFC couldn't honor my coupon in several visits.

About a month I noticed the building was empty.

dryheat
09-01-2017, 05:26
You can usually tell when a place is heading south. Management changes and it ends up in the hands of someone who doesn't know what they are doing or just intends to make a few bucks before dumping it. I used to eat at this Mexican place. Mi Amigos. I ate there evertime I was in the area. One day I go in and the food had declined. I should have noted that I was almost the only person in the place. I couldn't be sure so I visited again. Same thing. A couple months later the place was vacant.

Allen
09-01-2017, 05:33
You can usually tell when a place is heading south. Management changes and it ends up in the hands of someone who doesn't know what they are doing or just intends to make a few bucks before dumping it.

Sounds like America during the Obama administration.

AZshooter
09-02-2017, 06:05
I was looking at the menu when a fat hispanic woman and child walked into the KFC. The hispanic employee came out just then, started talking Spanish to the woman obviously taking her order. I informed the employee I was there first, flipped him off and walked, never to patronize a KFC again. So far KFC, Jack in the box, McDonald's, Domino Pizza, Burger King, Walmart, to name a few, on my list of places that demonstrated they don't need my business.

Dumb move. Walking out without letting anyone know won't solve anything. Hispanic employee won't care if you never come back. OTOH, fire off a nice letter to the corporate office & be sure to ID the store location. There's satisfaction in getting word that the manager is aware of the problem. In my instance, it was a great feelgood to be told that the employee in question has "gone another career direction" ie: got Fired!

Former Cav
09-04-2017, 07:22
last time I went into a KFC, I ordered 3 RIGHT chicken wings.
it was FUN watching them hold the wings up to the light and look at them.
took them a half hour to fill my order!
that place has been gone now for a couple of years. Nobody spoke english in there. This was in Phoenix down by the Pavillion car show. (actually south part of Scottsdale but really it is Indian reservation land I am told)

tmark
09-04-2017, 08:33
I no longer eat at KFC. Too much fowl language!

2A-Jay
09-04-2017, 08:57
I no longer eat at KFC. Too much fowl language!

Hardy har har

JB White
09-05-2017, 05:42
Hardy har har

I don't go to Hardee's anymore either. When you come out of the hunting field just about anything would taste OK. Well, the only place open on late Sunday morning in a nearby town was Hardee's. Couldn't finish it. After two times in a row we'd stop along the highway for something.

Long John Silvers, Taco Bell, KFC etc have provided me with more fryer fat soaked, undercooked food so much it's more than a random mistake. Don't go to those places even if the belly is rumbling. I've gotten very ill at Taco Bell more than once. Food handling doesn't seem to be a top priority in whatever training they may be offering.
Some places just seem to attract more inept employees than others.

On track: KFC. Can't go there after having remodeled a few locations. While the dining areas looked fine, the vermin was the worst I had ever seen. Never mind the rodents in the kitchen and storage areas. They don't eat much. It's the orgy of roaches several inches thick inside the entire ceiling. They're the ones that go home with you! The chicken sucks most times anyway. The slaw is factory packaged like most all chains do now. That just comes from a bag. They'd have to sabotage it to mess it up.

Allen
09-05-2017, 06:18
Wow, all this talk is starting to make that gas station sushi look good.

I think the problem is not employee training so much as perhaps manager/owner training. With so much inconsistency it would have to be lax management. I used to work for one of the big oil majors. I don't know of any oil company that owns their own stations any more with the possible exception of Citgo. As a result the stations are inconsistent. You step into one station and it may be very nice and clean--you go to another by the same "company" and it's not fit to raise hogs in. They sell the franchise only and I wonder if this is the case with KFC and others. I went to a Kristal about 30 years ago and they told me they were out of hamburger. They had called the surrounding Kristal's for help but none of them would respond. That told me many years ago that each one was individually owned and operated. Repeating the reply I made earlier, the last remaining KFC in my area seemed to be very clean and the food was good (for KFC). The building was new and you could see into the kitchen/cooking area. When my wife and I travel we won't eat at a "mom and pop" restaurant because you never know. We eat at a number of places but have found that Cracker Barrel is the most consistent and cleanest of them all even though better tasting food can be found elsewhere. Our 2 cents worth.

Dan Shapiro
09-05-2017, 08:08
IIRC, KFC sold franchises in their early years, by the mid-70's all the new stores were company owned. KFC was, at one point, playing games with the franchise owners, trying to buy them out. Had a friend at the time who had purchased a local franchise. It was a gold mine. KFC got hammered in court on a couple of occasions and after that, decided to just wait the owners out. Have no idea if any of those original franchises even exist today.

dryheat
09-05-2017, 11:04
Taco Bell; I ate in one 20 yrs ago. Most of the ingredients come out of five gallon buckets. Who knows what that stuff is. I can't look at it much less eat it. I was steered away from Long John Silvers by friends, so I've never been in one. I try to avoid fast food altogether and having been in the back door of a lot of restuarants I am not overly impressed with them either.
Outback Steak house is said to be "nutty" about cleanliness.

Allen
09-05-2017, 12:46
Taco Bell; I ate in one 20 yrs ago. Most of the ingredients come out of five gallon buckets. Who knows what that stuff is. I can't look at it much less eat it. I was steered away from Long John Silvers by friends, so I've never been in one. I try to avoid fast food altogether and having been in the back door of a lot of restuarants I am not overly impressed with them either.
Outback Steak house is said to be "nutty" about cleanliness.

Taco Bell came to the Mobile area around 35 years ago or so. I pulled up through their drive up window and ordered a shake. The lady said they don't have shakes at TB. I thanked her and drove off. I have never had one of their tacos. Long John Shivers has not been here long but has never looked appealing from the outside so I never went inside. I like Outback but my wife doesn't eat beef any longer so it's out for us. They have weird hours too--I think they don't open till 4:00pm. I like Appleby's but they cook with a lot of butter, sugar and other items that make food taste good but makes the calorie count sky high. Most of the Mexican restaurants here aren't cutting it for cleanliness. We've seen the wall moving (roaches) greasy tables and floors. The waiters are NOT American and who knows what is in those kitchens. Getting back to KFC, since they are gone I resort to WalMart deli fried chicken. Not bad when it is fresh. Clean also--you see everything at the one I shop at. My 2 cents in again, I'm going for a beer.

bostonbound
09-11-2017, 10:32
Chick-Fil-A - Great food, nice people, clean.

I have never been disappointed at the one closest to my work. Other locations - not as great but still very good.

JB White
09-11-2017, 04:22
Taco Bell came to the Mobile area around 35 years ago or so. I pulled up through their drive up window and ordered a shake. The lady said they don't have shakes at TB. I thanked her and drove off. I have never had one of their tacos. Long John Shivers has not been here long but has never looked appealing from the outside so I never went inside. I like Outback but my wife doesn't eat beef any longer so it's out for us...

Only thing Australian about Outback is the décor and perhaps a few item names. Not a single Aussie recipe on the menu.
Outback is decent for a factory food chain. Just like Red Lobster and Olive Garden etc. All meals are proportioned from bulk, bagged, trucked over, and warmed when ordered. The thing I dislike at Outback are the crab cakes. Tried them just for something different. Got a lot of seasoned bread with artificial crab flavoring. Horrible. Talked back for a day. I should've gone to KFC ;)