PDA

View Full Version : Good shot

barretcreek
08-12-2017, 09:30
When I was a kid there was a monument, west of Frederick MD on the spot where a Union sharpshooter, umm "interrupted" a Confederate Gen'l eating his breakfast in Virginia.

Anyone know if it's still there?

Posted elsewhere also.

Vern Humphrey
08-13-2017, 01:44
To the best of my knowledge the only General killed by a sniper in the Civil War was Union General Sedgewick. His last words were, "At that range, they couldn't hit an elephant."

Johnny P
08-13-2017, 04:10
General Sedgewick was killed at Spotsylvania, and I believe there are markers there to mark where he was killed and where the shot originated.

It's a wonder there haven't been protests to remove them.

jjrothWA
08-13-2017, 07:26
I recall an episode of "Twilight Zone" that was based on a sharpshooter killing a CSA General that was shaving and it was based on actual event.

ANyone recall??

Mark in Ottawa
08-13-2017, 07:38
Isn't there an old expression from the Napoleonic wars that goes something along the lines that there is nothing better for morale than a dead general?

barretcreek
08-13-2017, 08:34
Just did a search. Three Confederate Generals were killed at Antietam. That's right on the Potomac, far enough up that it's fairly narrow. But I haven't found anything specific.

Vern Humphrey
08-14-2017, 04:55
I recall an episode of "Twilight Zone" that was based on a sharpshooter killing a CSA General that was shaving and it was based on actual event.

ANyone recall??

That was based on a work of fiction about a family of riflemen, with stories about their feats generation after generation. The title of the movie was "A Mile Long Shot to Kill." Interesting and full of technical details, but fiction.

blackhawknj
08-14-2017, 05:26
"Mile Long Shot To Kill" was an episode of "GE True" that aired on November 25, 1962. During the Mine Run Campaign in Virginia in late 1863 two members of Berdan's Sharpshooters hit the same running Rebel at 700 yards.

Vern Humphrey
08-14-2017, 05:48
But not a general as portrayed.

jon_norstog
08-14-2017, 07:44
i remember reading about a mile-long killshot during the Civil War, in the AR i think. The target was a general, I can't remember which side! I guess if it was in AR it was probably true (back then).

jn