PDA

View Full Version : Breakfree/CLP

BEAR
08-03-2017, 10:48
I have been noticing on other gun forums (didn't find negative comments here though) that Breakfree/CLP is being bad mouthed as being bad for guns. It supposedly destroys finishes, causes rust when it evaporates (like WD40) and overall not good for lubrication. Oh yeah, it also softens synthetic stocks and wood stocks.

I am confused, I remember my military days when we started using this stuff we loved it. So much better than GI bore cleaner and LSA.

So what say you, is it not good or is it ok or does it have a limited application?

BEAR

S.A. Boggs
08-04-2017, 02:31
I have been using it for years, no trouble to report.
Sam

JB White
08-04-2017, 04:58
I've been using it for years. The only BreakFree product I have seen that thickened was BreakFree for Collectors. In other words, for safe queens/long-term storage which is pretty much what you would want in that situation.
Why would someone put metal lubricating oil on wood?? :icon_rolleyes: The ones who might put linseed oil in their crankcase? Oil is oil!! :icon_lol:

clintonhater
08-04-2017, 06:27
causes rust when it evaporates (like WD40)

I never heard or saw that happen. It's not meant to protect against rust, however, as it works only as a solvent & cleaner.

State Troopers here have recently been using a cleaner/lubricant called Frog Lube. One of them gave be a small bottle which I tried on an auto pistol that frequently jams; didn't help.

Oyaji
08-04-2017, 07:06
I never heard or saw that happen. It's not meant to protect against rust, however, as it works only as a solvent & cleaner.

State Troopers here have recently been using a cleaner/lubricant called Frog Lube. One of them gave be a small bottle which I tried on an auto pistol that frequently jams; didn't help.

CLP = Cleaner, Lubricate, Preservative

I've also used it for years and never had any problem. However, for really dirty, carbon encrusted firearms I will use a solvent such as Hoppe's followed by CLP.

clintonhater
08-04-2017, 09:22
CLP = Cleaner, Lubricate, Preservative

Was referring to what he said about WD40 causing rust.

Oyaji
08-04-2017, 09:55
Was referring to what he said about WD40 causing rust.

Gotcha.....thanks for clearing that up for me; thought you were referring to Break Free CLP.

Tuna
08-04-2017, 11:35
WD40.....Not a lube of any kind. Never meant to be. It is a water displacer. It removes water from things. Once it's done it's job then you have to protect the steel to prevent rusting. CLP....is a lube of good quality. But with time it will drain off of a surface. There are new lubes that will remain where you put it that are better the CLP. CLP works well if your in the field and need a quick easy lubricant to use.

Oyaji
08-04-2017, 11:46
I actually like to use 5W Mobil 1 synthetic motor oil for lubricating and preserving many of my firearms. A quart of that goes a looooong way towards firearms upkeep.

aintright
08-04-2017, 04:47
Kroil oil works great for me ,saturate a double ought steel wool pad with it , wipe it down , done . For areas that have snags use paper towels or cotton rags . Let it set for a while , wipe the excess off . Stinks to hi heaven though .
Kenneth

Former Cav
08-04-2017, 05:05
I started using it when it first came out around 1980.
I used to live in MN where it is humid. I've lived in AZ now for 12 years.
I have a concealed carry 1911 and the only place it gets surface rust is under the safety which is against my six pac abs.
I've never had a problem with CLP.
Only problem I ever had was when my DOG licked my steel govt model when it was laying on my side of the bed on the floor (NO KIDS). Instant BROWN oxide. I was able to get it off with the CLP immediately applied.

Oyaji
08-04-2017, 05:15
Six-pack abs, eh? You ain't the only one.

:1948:

S.A. Boggs
08-04-2017, 05:40
I wouldn't try to open any of those with a ten foot M7...that is if they made one.
Sam

BEAR
08-05-2017, 09:49
Thanks for the replies. Your experiences with CLP are similar to mine so I don't understand the beef about the product. I guess some people are not happy unless they are peeing on someone else's opinion. I think the complaint about the synthetic and wood stock degradation had to do with the CLP seeping down from the the treated metal parts, the poster wasn't clear.
Again, thanks for your responses.

BEAR

Oyaji
08-05-2017, 10:56
One last comment with regard to gun oils and wood stocks.

Recommend storing wood stocked rifles muzzle down in the safe. When they're resting on their butts, the oils in the barrel and action will weep down with gravity and saturate the stock.

TomSudz
08-06-2017, 09:43
I've used CLP since 1984 and have never had anything like what was described happen. At work, we took 3 of our old tools which were being replaced and did an experiment. All of the tools in the test were exactly the same. One was coated with WD-40, one with CLP and the third nothing. The tools were set aside in the same area on the apparatus floor so that their exposure would be the same. After 3 months the tools were compared. The tool with nothing had some light surface rust on some areas. The tool with CLP looked just as it did on day 1. The tool with WD-40 had a white, powdery corrosion over its entire surface.

The purpose of the test was to determine what, if anything, we could put on our tools on the fire trucks to keep them from rusting if they were to go for a while without being used. From that point forward, we have given our metal tools a light coat of CLP after they have been used and cleaned.

noslack327
08-09-2017, 11:29
where do you find kroil ?

Oyaji
08-09-2017, 12:11
where do you find kroil ?

http://www.kanolabs.com/

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1322137203/kano-kroil-penetrating-oil-and-bore-cleaning-solvent

leftyo
08-09-2017, 12:26
One last comment with regard to gun oils and wood stocks.

Recommend storing wood stocked rifles muzzle down in the safe. When they're resting on their butts, the oils in the barrel and action will weep down with gravity and saturate the stock.

this also helps to prolong the life of rubber butt pads.

noslack327
08-15-2017, 09:25
http://www.kanolabs.com/

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1322137203/kano-kroil-penetrating-oil-and-bore-cleaning-solvent

Thanks for the info

phil441
08-18-2017, 09:50
Beware of using Kroil in the house. When my very first can arrived at my house I immediately began swabbing down the bores of some of my pistols and rifles at my little card table set up in my home office. The look on my wife's face when she got home and walked down the hallway to my office told me that I should only use it in my backyard shop.
Hoppe's=inside.
Kroil=outside.

Oyaji
08-19-2017, 06:22
Beware of using Kroil in the house. When my very first can arrived at my house I immediately began swabbing down the bores of some of my pistols and rifles at my little card table set up in my home office. The look on my wife's face when she got home and walked down the hallway to my office told me that I should only use it in my backyard shop.
Hoppe's=inside.
Kroil=outside.

+1

Yes indeed. Kroil does leave a strong, lingering odor that is almost sickening if used in confined spaces. It's best used outdoors or in shop areas with plenty of ventilation.

Good stuff though......one of the best penetrating solvents available.

jdmcgrath
08-20-2017, 02:30
I leave CLP in the bore after cleaning everything, and as the operating lube for the AR actions. No problems after many years. Agree that other products are better for removing fouling.

Dan in NH
08-20-2017, 03:09
I've been using both Kroil and Break Free for years. can't think of any reasons to change.