PDA

View Full Version : OT: Tire pressures

JB White
08-03-2017, 11:49
Still driving my old Lincoln Town Car I've had for over 17 years. Bought it used when it was barely over 2 years old.
Never mind what pressure I've been running in the past. I always inflated to what felt best for me depending on the brand.

Just bought a new set of Goodyear Integrity Tires. P215/70. Locals tell me 35psi. Others tell me 40+ psi. Tire dealer put it out the door at 37psi on all four corners. (44psi MAX on the sidewall)
When I worked for Lincoln in the 70's, we set the tires at 30 in front and 28 rear in spite of the 35# sticker on the door. I was never good with that and set 32-30 or better in spite of the boss saying they wanted to give a soft ride first impression. Figured the new owner really wouldn't know and I felt a little safer with that. Have to wonder if the tire dealer also set them soft for that "new tires feel great" impression.

Back to my new ones. Goodyear says see the vehicle manufacturers spec. No tire pressure, only size inside the door, but the owners manual says for inflation to see the tire manufacturers spec. Passing the buck.
I know what I'm considering doing, but what is your opinion? It may be enough to change my mind with these particular tires.

Oyaji
08-03-2017, 12:32
41626 41625

RED
08-03-2017, 12:35
I tend to use higher pressure in the tires on my old Crown Vict than most people. The guy I buy my tires from has been in the business since the 1970's and I have used him since 1995 and that is his advice. "At or near the max pressure the tire maker recommends." The "ride," may be better at 35 PSI but the gas mileage and life of the tires is better at 44.

gwp
08-03-2017, 12:44
I personally wouldn't worry about the maximum tire pressure listed on the tire and I wouldn't go under the cars specification. So I would adjust the tire pressure to give the handling, ride and wear that you are looking for.

Dick Hosmer
08-03-2017, 02:08
There are several websites with good info on this subject - I like www.tiresize.com.

Thinking about going up just a bit (from 245/45R19 to 245/50R19) on our Tucson when it comes time for tires, just to get a little more air and rubber between the rim and the road.

JB White
08-03-2017, 05:43
41626 41625

That's exactly what I'm concerned over. An underinflated tire will also allow a "puddle" to form between the tire and the road. Not good in heavy rain or icy slush conditions.

I personally wouldn't worry about the maximum tire pressure listed on the tire and I wouldn't go under the cars specification. So I would adjust the tire pressure to give the handling, ride and wear that you are looking for.

As mentioned, I cannot find the vehicle specs. It says "see tire manufacturers specifications". If I had that I could very easily set the pressure to my liking and still feel secure. Right now I'm guessing at 37# the tire shop gave me.
I'll see if going up a few pounds makes a difference on wet pavement. The last set was a Pep Boys "buy one-get one" special. I ran 40# (dry) on those, but they gave up premium traction pretty quickly. Added a bit of camber during an alignment which then kept me from pushing on turns. Weren't worth a dang in wet snow no matter what the inflation was. Last year I tossed sandbags in the trunk for a few months just so I could get going from a stoplight on snowy roads. Tolerated them just enough to get my monies worth. ;)

There are several websites with good info on this subject - I like www.tiresize.com.

Thinking about going up just a bit (from 245/45R19 to 245/50R19) on our Tucson when it comes time for tires, just to get a little more air and rubber between the rim and the road.

Thanks Dick, but still lacking what is suggested/preferred range on 'cruising' pressure. Only gives the MAX which is on the sidewall. I bookmarked the site nonetheless as it is a very handy reference. Thanks for that.
If your rims will handle the larger tires then go for it. I was able to go up two sizes on my Comanche pickup. With the added clearance to the underbody and the extra room beneath the differential I never got stuck in the winter. And that Jeep was a 2WD. Had Goodyear Wranglers on that.

I am hoping that someone had similar tires on a similar vehicle just to hear some experiences. Thanks so far.

dryheat
08-03-2017, 05:58
You can actually read the tire pressure on the tires? I can't understand why there isn't some safety commission insisting that manufacturers make the numbers big enough to read with out having to crawl in the dirt with a magnifying glass.

JB White
08-03-2017, 05:59
If you lick the tire, the numbers jump right out at you! LOL

snakehunter
08-04-2017, 04:16
Still driving my old Lincoln Town Car I've had for over 17 years. Bought it used when it was barely over 2 years old.
Never mind what pressure I've been running in the past. I always inflated to what felt best for me depending on the brand.

Just bought a new set of Goodyear Integrity Tires. P215/70. Locals tell me 35psi. Others tell me 40+ psi. Tire dealer put it out the door at 37psi on all four corners. (44psi MAX on the sidewall)
When I worked for Lincoln in the 70's, we set the tires at 30 in front and 28 rear in spite of the 35# sticker on the door. I was never good with that and set 32-30 or better in spite of the boss saying they wanted to give a soft ride first impression. Figured the new owner really wouldn't know and I felt a little safer with that. Have to wonder if the tire dealer also set them soft for that "new tires feel great" impression.

Back to my new ones. Goodyear says see the vehicle manufacturers spec. No tire pressure, only size inside the door, but the owners manual says for inflation to see the tire manufacturers spec. Passing the buck.
I know what I'm considering doing, but what is your opinion? It may be enough to change my mind with these particular tires.

I'm from the old school. 32-35. Higher in cold weather, lower in hot, except when I take my Jeep off road. Then I set the pressure low no matter what temperature.

JB White
08-04-2017, 05:26
I'm from the old school. 32-35. Higher in cold weather, lower in hot, except when I take my Jeep off road. Then I set the pressure low no matter what temperature.

Yeah, I can go along with that but for one exception. Back in the day the maximum sidewall spec was typically lower. Then there was a range for bias-ply tires and another for steel radials when those came out.
I too kept my tires a little lower for hot pavement and"off road" which for me was construction sites. Now it's just city driving and freeway. Potholes at speed....too low and you can bend a rim/break the bead.
I'm beginning to see 'why,' regarding that 37# setting. Just so long as it isn't nearing the underinflated realm which I'm starting to think it isn't. Using your formula I could probably go 40# in the winter months.
Thank you.

Oyaji
08-04-2017, 07:14

I disagree. Lower tire air pressure will provide better traction in cold/icy/snowy weather. In hotter summer temperatures, an underinflated tire will overheat, causing premature tire failure and a possible blowout.

Ltdave
08-04-2017, 03:23
I disagree. Lower tire air pressure will provide better traction in cold/icy/snowy weather. In hotter summer temperatures, an underinflated tire will overheat, causing premature tire failure and a possible blowout.

this...

dryheat
08-04-2017, 05:11
If you lick the tire, the numbers jump right out at you! LOL
I do use spit.

Sako
08-04-2017, 05:57
You guys are overlooking the weight of the vehicle as part of the inflation pressure.

Dick Hosmer
08-04-2017, 09:50
That's covered under the load rating spec, and is important, but is not - AFAIK - a function of pressure per se

Sunray
08-05-2017, 10:22
Tires have their inflation numbers on 'em.
"...read without having to crawl in the dirt..." Wouldn't help. Numbers will be upside down anyway.