PDA

View Full Version : The smoke up here is making it look like China.

Ken The Kanuck
08-03-2017, 09:41
I have to wonder what the impact of much of what we do compares with the smoke from the wildfires? As I understand it the smoke is travelling down into Washington state. Many years ago they passed a law up here not allowing wood burning fireplaces to be installed in new homes in the Vancouver area. I have not seen the mountains in days and that is rare. I doubt that all the wood fireplaces burning in B.C. would create anywhere near this amount of smoke. But since it is natural I guess it must be good for you. Like living in Peking.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/smoke-bc-august-2-wildfires-1.4232156

KTK

Darreld Walton
08-03-2017, 10:09
Isn't any better 'down here' in Idaho. Smoke that we're getting is blowing up/over from Utah. Couple of local fires, but they're usually Johnny on the spot about getting them out. Never have a problem with wood burning stoves unless we get an inversion in winter, and it doesn't hold a candle to wildfire, either in intensity OR duration.

Allen
08-03-2017, 10:20
No smoke down here, just fog from the daily rains. We couldn't have a wild fire down here (South Alabama) if we flooded the area with gasoline and lit it.

Ken The Kanuck
08-03-2017, 10:43
No smoke down here, just fog from the daily rains. We couldn't have a wild fire down here (South Alabama) if we flooded the area with gasoline and lit it.

Well I never thought I'd say it but we could use some of your rain. The cabin at the lake and the neighbouring houses are on evacuation alert. Our neighbours put a sprinkler on our roof and theirs and left.

KTK

http://www.lillooetnews.net/news/local-news/progress-made-on-pavilion-lake-wildfire-1.1010153

Allen
08-03-2017, 01:09
Wish we could send you some of this rain. We basically did not have a Spring this year because it rained every day for 4 months or clouded up where you couldn't start any kind of outside project.

JimW in Ore
08-03-2017, 06:31
Ken, I would like to say thank you for all the smoke you are sending to Portland.:icon_lol::icon_lol::headbang::banana100: :banana100:

Ken The Kanuck
08-03-2017, 06:40
I am sorry about, I guess that there is a lesson here. And that is we share the planet. Although these fires and resulting smoke is not something that we want, I am sure our southern neighbours like it less.

KTK

m1ashooter
08-03-2017, 06:42
My son is stationed across the sound from Seattle and he can see the smoke and smell it. A few years ago I flew into and out of Vegas when Az had their big fires. The smoke was high and the plume was a few hundred miles long.

JimW in Ore
08-04-2017, 08:39
Ken, it was a joke!

BEAR
08-04-2017, 08:50
Ken, it was a joke!
WE NEED TO BUILD A WALL... to keep the smoke out. Washington is a smoke free state.:icon_rolleyes:

BEAR

Ken The Kanuck
08-04-2017, 08:57
Ken, it was a joke!

Thanks Jim. I knew that.

But never the less there is some validity to my statement I am not too sure if our poor forest management practices are to blame in large part. This maybe true and if it is then we do owe you an apology.

I know that Victoria has been accused of dumping raw sewage into the ocean which then floats down into the Puget Sound. We need to make sure that our practices wheter in forestry management or sewage filtration do not negatively impact our neighbours.

Regards

KTK

SysAd
08-04-2017, 06:36
It's so bad here from the BC fires that I can't see the hills in any direction. Bad, really bad!

I have to wonder what the impact of much of what we do compares with the smoke from the wildfires? As I understand it the smoke is travelling down into Washington state. Many years ago they passed a law up here not allowing wood burning fireplaces to be installed in new homes in the Vancouver area. I have not seen the mountains in days and that is rare. I doubt that all the wood fireplaces burning in B.C. would create anywhere near this amount of smoke. But since it is natural I guess it must be good for you. Like living in Peking.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/smoke-bc-august-2-wildfires-1.4232156

KTK

Allen
08-04-2017, 06:47
It's so bad here from the BC fires that I can't see the hills in any direction. Bad, really bad!

Is that you Pat? Can't see you for all the smoke.

SysAd
08-04-2017, 09:23
It's me, right over here (wildly trying to dispel the smoke with a fan...)

BEAR
08-05-2017, 09:53
Hey, no smoke in Yelm anymore. Either the fire is out or the smoke wall works.
Seriously Ken, you guys up North are in our thoughts and prayers.

BEAR

PWC
08-05-2017, 09:27
I know in many places in Oregon, Washington, and CA. people are not allowed in the forests anymore and the gov't has physically blocked off roads to keep vehicles/people out. Also logging is of course banned and forests have become clogged with deadfall, which is fire just waiting for an excuse to start. In the attempt to save the forests for animals, conditions ripe for fire have been created.

SysAd
08-06-2017, 08:20
I don't recall fires being as frequent and severe when they were managed by foresters instead of today's environmentalists.

I know in many places in Oregon, Washington, and CA. people are not allowed in the forests anymore and the gov't has physically blocked off roads to keep vehicles/people out. Also logging is of course banned and forests have become clogged with deadfall, which is fire just waiting for an excuse to start. In the attempt to save the forests for animals, conditions ripe for fire have been created.

JB White
08-09-2017, 12:46
There is a good deal of fires going and the smoke is more widespread than we might think. I finally took a look at the smoke map.

https://airnow.gov/index.cfm?action=topics.smoke_wildfires

jon_norstog
08-09-2017, 07:56
I just got back from N. Idaho. The haze all the way from Portland was like LA in the bad old days. Except it didn't smell quite as bad. 100 degree weather last week, back down to the high 90s now. The smoke has thinned out enough you cn see clouds in the sky. They are saying it is from a big fire in BC, but there are 50 or 60 big wildfires in OR and WA east of the Cascades, and in IDAHO. They are talking about closing the woods completely - Hoot Owl, they call it.

My brother and I scouted the "Big Hole" in the Coeur d'Alenes as a possible hunting ground for this fall, I'll put up some pictures when I get around to it.

jn

dryheat
08-09-2017, 08:35
There is a good deal of fires going and the smoke is more widespread than we might think. I finally took a look at the smoke map.

A smoke map. Never knew about that. Looks like N. America is burning. AZ is the only state not covered in smoke, but we were earlier this summer. Now we have horrible floods from the burned areas running off storm water unabated.

S.A. Boggs
08-12-2017, 01:31

A fire is being show in my neck of the woods, news to me! This summer we have had an overabundance of rain and cooler temps. @ night a small fan has kept my bride and I cool with temps dropping down into the mid to low 50's. Wolf got cold on the floor and jumped up onto my side of the bed to get warm! For us, I hope this cool, damp weather is not a precursor to what to expect for winter.
Sam