PDA

View Full Version : Annie Oakley

sid
07-23-2017, 06:12
Does anyone know what brand of guns she used in her act?

RED
07-23-2017, 06:38
Annie Oakley had many guns. On display at The National Annie Oakley Center at Garst Museum is a Winchester 1873 .44-40 caliber factory-made, smooth bore rifle that Annie Owned. Made in 1892, it was given to Annie by buffalo Bill Cody. Both Annie and Buffalo Bill used smooth-bore rifles in the Wild West Show arena shooting at aerial target. (they used shot shells)

Shirl Kasaper's book, Annie Oakley, lists the following makes of guns.Short guns: Lancaster, Cashmore, Francotte, Parker, Purday, Spencer, Scott, L..C .Smith, Ithaca, Cranston, and P. Webley & Sons. Her rifles included Winchester, Stevens, Marlin, Lancaster Hooland, and Remington. Her pistols and revolvers were Smith & Wesson, Stevens, Colt, and Renette.

JB White
07-23-2017, 07:19
The name Cranston in Oakley's time has me doing this >>>:icon_scratch::icon_scratch::icon_scratch:

Allen
07-23-2017, 07:45
Annie Oakley had many guns. On display at The National Annie Oakley Center at Garst Museum is a Winchester 1873 .44-40 caliber factory-made, smooth bore rifle that Annie Owned. Made in 1892, it was given to Annie by buffalo Bill Cody. Both Annie and Buffalo Bill used smooth-bore rifles in the Wild West Show arena shooting at aerial target. (they used shot shells)

Shirl Kasaper's book, Annie Oakley, lists the following makes of guns.Short guns: Lancaster, Cashmore, Francotte, Parker, Purday, Spencer, Scott, L..C .Smith, Ithaca, Cranston, and P. Webley & Sons. Her rifles included Winchester, Stevens, Marlin, Lancaster Hooland, and Remington. Her pistols and revolvers were Smith & Wesson, Stevens, Colt, and Renette.

And in my readings throughout the years they ALL claim to be THE gun that Annie Oakley used and preferred.

Major Tom
07-23-2017, 04:52
In her demonstrations, it is not well known that she used shot shells, ie: brass loaded with shot instead of a bullet.

jon_norstog
07-25-2017, 07:27
My grandmother on my mom's side, Annie Retzlaff, was an Annie Oakley. She homesteaded in what became McKenzie County ND when she was 16. Every year the homesteaders would have a fair and one of the events was a shooting competition. The shooter would stand up in a wagon driven fast as the horses could run over the prairie. He/she would shoot gophers/prairie dogs on sight. Riders followed to pick up the kill. The judges counted the dogs to see who won. grandma always won. She used a pump=action .22, probably a Winchester

jn

Allen
07-25-2017, 07:57
My grandmother on my mom's side, Annie Retzlaff, was an Annie Oakley. She homesteaded in what became McKenzie County ND when she was 16. Every year the homesteaders would have a fair and one of the events was a shooting competition. The shooter would stand up in a wagon driven fast as the horses could run over the prairie. He/she would shoot gophers/prairie dogs on sight. Riders followed to pick up the kill. The judges counted the dogs to see who won. grandma always won. She used a pump=action .22, probably a Winchester

jn

They don't make women like that any more.

jon_norstog
07-28-2017, 06:08
They don't make women like that any more.

Oh yes they do!

jn

Dolt
07-30-2017, 06:03
Oh yes they do!

jn

Jessie Duff!!