PDA

View Full Version : New Dunkirk Movie Coming out this Friday

tmark
07-18-2017, 07:36
Trailer looks interesting; can't wait to see it.

m1ashooter
07-18-2017, 09:28
I'm looking forward to seeing it also.

Jeff L
07-21-2017, 12:13
Looks pretty good.

tmark
07-21-2017, 09:19
According to a AHC show on the topic, not all escaped. I think a thousand or more were captured. Both French and British were part of the miracle of Dunkerque.

AlanD
07-22-2017, 07:40
I saw it last night. Not a bad movie, well worth seeing. A couple of the younger lead actors looked too similar to each other which made the film a bit hard to follow in places.
Keep an eye out for a few Number 4 rifles with the fore sight removed trying to look like a SMLE No1 Mk111! Also a Mk111 helmet which did not come out until much later in the war.

Regards

AlanD
Sydney

Griff Murphey
07-23-2017, 07:07
I thought it was well done. We "ex-spurts" can always find wrong bits to haggle over. The minesweepers and "destroyer" were modern ships, the destroyer may not even be RN, it seems to have a bunch of cable stuff aft, radars and modern streamlined gun mounts. The Messerschmitts are the Spanish built Bouchons with Merlins, survivors from the 60's movie BATTLE OF BRITAIN. It still sucked me in and I enjoyed it, it's a story of the heroism of ordinary yachtsmen and fishermen, civilians with no military training who sailed into a war zone to save their countrymen. And it's pretty convincing. The spitfires are great.

One thing that heartened me was there were significant numbers of young people in the theater, even teenagers. Plenty of thirty-somethings.

tmark
07-23-2017, 07:25
I'm seeing it tomorrow, Griff. Looking forward to it especially after reading your great Siskel and Eibert critique!

Griff Murphey
07-23-2017, 07:37
I did some looking and the destroyer is a 1957 built French destroyer which is a museum ship in Nantes, Francd, named the MAILLE BREZE, which was towed to Dunkirk and had British pennant numbers painted on it.

It turns out the producers found 50 period correct small craft from all over Europe, 14 of which were actually used at Dunkirk.

You will enjoy it!

Allen
07-23-2017, 07:58
The best part is I don't see any Hollywood liberals in it. I don't watch movies anymore because of that. I may have to break down and go see this one.

Kaliman
07-24-2017, 06:29
It was an absolutely amazing movie. I may go back and see it again before it leaves theaters. Tom Hardy is one of my favorite actors and he was great in this.

tmark
07-24-2017, 07:36
A great action packed movie which held my attention. I can't wait until the DVD comes out. There are several scenes I would like to back up to view over again.

m1ashooter
07-24-2017, 09:32
Thanks for the reviews. I'm going tomorrow. To me the focus has always been on the fisherman and small boat owners who answered the call. Their response was the same as the watermen of New York who answered the USCG call for help on 9/11 to help evac our people from Manhattan with the exception no one was shooting at them.

Europe is very lucky that these brave men sailed their small boats across the Channel to help evac the BEF and anyone else who could embark.

Ken The Kanuck
07-24-2017, 09:35
Average at best.

KTK

m1ashooter
07-25-2017, 12:39
I just returned and its is a Wow statement. I've always been impressed with the small boat owners and fishermen who answered the call to help. They weren't airmen, soldiers or sailors. The were the uncles and the fathers of the men trapped on that beach and they knowingly answered the call to go into harms way to bring them home. In my book it doesn't get much better then that. I didn't see the movie to count threads on web gear or to see if the rank was correct, I wanted to see courage. The quiet courage of the men lined up on the beaches taking fire with out being able to hit back to the men and women who sailed their boats across the channel to bring back the troops.

Go see it.

Kaliman
07-25-2017, 02:55
^Hit the nail on the head.

PWC
07-25-2017, 03:09
Take a millennial or your grand kids (older ones only) to the movie, but don't tell them what it is about. Afterward, ask them who was fighting whom, why and what the movie was about.

Dunkirk is not taught in schools and the folks we are leaving behind to take care of our country don't know about the real history, only what Hollywood spreads as history. I bought the book read 3/4ths and threw it away. Did not see the word Nazi in the book.

Don't believe the people paid by Hollywood to review movies, go on Amazon and other sites; read what the amatuer reviewers say. Disregard the flashy special effects which are great, but what is the underlying truth. First fake news, then fake history will give our 'left behinds' a false sense of who / what they are.

jgaynor
07-27-2017, 12:49
Saw the Imax version last night.
It was ok but I knew the story. If you are looking for a history lesson download the B&W (1958) version from Amazon.

The new version is essentially three stories :1. The Mole, 2. The Sea and 3. The Air. Each portion has is own overlapping time frame which leads to some confusing scene changes. For example its nighttime and dark out the scene instantly changes and the its full sun.

tmark
07-30-2017, 07:24
My wife got confused with that back and forth, too, jg. But still a great movie to see. Thank goodness for the Spitfires!
'