PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on the Scott Nemetz murder case

Griff Murphey
07-12-2017, 10:15
CBS 48 hours just ran this story. A young army troop married a girl not yet out of high school, got her into guns with him; and CBS showed pictures of her shooting an AR-15. He had an M-1a in these clips of their gravel pit shoot. So the tragic end was that he came home from a long, fatiguing FTX in Yakima, she asked him to put her rifle away no mag in the gun. At some point he aims the gun and fires it into the back of her head, killing her. So he is tried for murder, eventually gets manslsughter. So how could this be with a kid who was building his own AR-15s before going into the army.

I thought about this and I remembered how hard it is to break a new shooter from riding the bolt foreard as they load the gun. It's really hard to get them to let the bolts slam forward in semiautos, because they want to be careful.Could she have loaded the rifle and ridden the bolt forward. The bolt would then likely have not gone into battery and the extractor would not have engaged the top round just stripped from the mag. The bolt is resting on the case base but not in battery; it cannot fire. So the mag gets taken out at some point prior to this. Scott, tired from the field and maybe a couple of beers onboard, perfunctorily pulls the bolt back and the round stays right where it is, in the chamber. Scott fails to look up INTO the chamber but because he is looking straight at the ejection port and sees no brass, he thinks the gun is clear. He releases the bolt and he lets it slam forward. NOW the bolt is in battery and the round is ready to fire.

And I think that may be how this event happened. Surprised this never came up in court.

Sako
07-12-2017, 06:38
Just based on what you have written here it sounds like murder to me. Unstable young couple and hubby probably came home to bad news from an immature wife and got news he didn't want to hear and blew her brains out. Why would he point a weapon at the back of her head and pull the trigger even if he thought the gun to be empty? A girl he loved enough to recently marry? He was pissed about something to do such a stupid act and it probably was intentional.

Griff Murphey
07-13-2017, 11:15
Just based on what you have written here it sounds like murder to me. Unstable young couple and hubby probably came home to bad news from an immature wife and got news he didn't want to hear and blew her brains out. Why would he point a weapon at the back of her head and pull the trigger even if he thought the gun to be empty? A girl he loved enough to recently marry? He was pissed about something to do such a stupid act and it probably was intentional.

He was known to be snappy with her and his account of the sequence of events was said to be not consistent. Obviously the jury agreed with your assessment.

I do think he was tired and on top of that, familiarity does breed contempt.