PDA

View Full Version : Marmots ?

Ken The Kanuck
07-05-2017, 08:40
Do you have Marmots where you live.

This is a picture of one at our cabin.

A family decided to move in under the porch this year.

I hope they stay as they are suppose to keep the pack rats away.

KTK

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v114/kennethroy/image1_zpsruusw6qp.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/kennethroy/media/image1_zpsruusw6qp.jpg.html)

leftyo
07-05-2017, 08:54
dont have them ,but looking like a cross between a woodchuck and prarie dog, id shoot it.

Allen
07-05-2017, 10:50
If they are like any other type of squirrel they'll be chewing the insulation off of your electrical wires, digging up and eating the flower bulbs, digging holes all in the yard looking for grubs and nuts. You would be much better off with the rats. At least you can poison rats.

JB White
07-05-2017, 11:14
Wait until they discover all the tasty things on the car. You won't be driving it out of there.

Major Tom
07-06-2017, 06:29
Same as groundhogs that we have here. Considered a destructive pest!

Liam
07-06-2017, 06:42
I hunt them at a 330 acre farm in West Virginia. It is a cattle/beef farm, so the holes they make can be a problem for the herds. They seek out man-made structures in order to burrow under them, affording good cover overhead from weather and danger. They will literally undermine the foundation of a home, silo, whatever. There is no restricted hunting season on them in WV, for they are considered pests. Take as many as you want. If I wanted to get rid of them entirely, I would try poison. But, then again, without their presence I would not get invited back to the farm!

Ken The Kanuck
07-06-2017, 07:29
The cabin is built on rubble from the mountain behind it. There is no dirt to burrow into. So far no damage, the pack rats stink and make a mess. The Marmots are winning this popularity contest.

KTK

barretcreek
07-06-2017, 08:11
Cedar oil, lavender oil, peppermint oil will keep them away from the wiring on your car.

Auto parts suppliers went eco a decade ago, using corn based plastics as opposed to petroleum based. Yummy! As far as keeping the pack rats away, get a ferret.

Ken The Kanuck
07-06-2017, 09:19
Cedar oil, lavender oil, peppermint oil will keep them away from the wiring on your car.

Auto parts suppliers went eco a decade ago, using corn based plastics as opposed to petroleum based. Yummy! As far as keeping the pack rats away, get a ferret.

Hi Barretcreek,

I had a girlfriend years ago and she had a ferret, it smelled worse than a pack rat.

KTK

Sunray
07-06-2017, 09:48
A marmot and ground hog are the same critter. They'll dig den holes everywhere, including under the buildings that undermines the foundations and will eat any vegetable garden right to the ground.
"...no dirt to burrow into..." A pile of rocks will suit a ground hog nicely. They'll dig under rocks.
As I recall, B.C. has one type called a Hoary Marmot that is considered endangered and is protected by law. Wouldn't count on a giant tree rat keeping their rat cousins away though.
"...would try poison..." Illegal. A tube connected to one's engine exhaust on the other hand kills 'em in their beds away down deep.

Former Cav
07-06-2017, 01:49
we called em "varmints" for a reason.
If you own a NEWER vehicle, be advised that when they mold the wiring harnesses that some of the "mold release oils" are made from PEANUTS.
Out here in AZ, some folks that live in a roof rat infested areas have their electrical wiring on their cars TOTALLED.
You had better "take them out" and NOT to lunch either!

Allen
07-08-2017, 04:24
Hi Barretcreek,

I had a girlfriend years ago and she had a ferret, it smelled worse than a pack rat.

KTK

I see why you broke up with her.

2A-Jay
07-08-2017, 10:11
Marmots are a part of the Chucker Family, Think of RCBS Rock Chucker Bullet Swage was named after them.

SMOKEY
07-09-2017, 08:15
Whistle pigs in Vajanya