PDA

View Full Version : Real gun question....really.

Mike R.
06-28-2017, 07:39
Hello all, some help or info would be appreciated. I was at an indoor range shooting a 9mm semi auto pistol. Ammo used was federal aluminum case, that shoots fine in all my guns. Then I changed to Wal-Mart purchased "Perfecta" ammo. It also shoots fine except that I noticed a huge muzzle flash with this ammo. So why this big flash and what does it indicate? Slower burning powder? I can't tell any difference in sound, accuracy or function, just a much bigger flash at the muzzle. Is it just a different brand or composition of powder? I was using a 4 inch barrel with both types of ammo. Other than firing at night and getting "flashed" by this powder anything to be concerned about, or does it make any difference? Any thoughts or ideas will be appreciated.
Thanks

leftyo
06-28-2017, 08:01
a cheaper made powder with less flash deterrents in it.

p246
06-28-2017, 10:51
What leftyo said. I bought a bunch of that perfecta. It all went bang but it was real dirty ammo.

Sunray
06-29-2017, 10:06
"...why this big flash..." Different powder. Not necessarily anything to do with the price of the powder.
Perfecta ammo is a Fiocchi brand as well. 115 grains at 1247 FPS.
Federal supposedly used Al cases in their Champion line that is not listed on their site anymore. However, it's 115 grain FMJ runs at 1180 FPS.
Neither is going to bother your pistol.