PDA

View Full Version : Need 45/70 carbine load

rayg
05-11-2017, 08:19
Haven't loaded this round for years and found some 500 grainers I had cast when I used to shoot 45/70 before. I have two TD carbines, one is an 84 and the other is a "all period" correct #35616, pre Custer one.
I might as well use up the bullets and I had always used black powder before but want to try smokeless this time getting lazy and clean up is so much easier with smokeless.
I have a number of powders to include, 2400, 3031, 4198, Unique and others I could use and I need a nice easy load to shoot in the carbines as the shoulder is not as forgiving as it used to be, and not only that but I certainly don't want to abuse the Custer carbine if I do shoot it. I would appreciate any recommended loads, Ray

Sunray
05-11-2017, 09:39
Original load was 55 grains of BP under a cast 405. I'm guessing you know that though. Mind you, rumour has it the bullet was a 350 at 1100 FPS. I can attest how much a 70 grain 405 grain load friggin' hurts out of a Carbine.
You may want to rummage around here. Not seeing anything 'Carbine' specific though. There is some rifle data near the bottom of the 'Shooter's Page'. http://www.trapdoorcollector.com/

rayg
05-11-2017, 08:43
Original load was 55 grains of BP under a cast 405. I'm guessing you know that though. Mind you, rumour has it the bullet was a 350 at 1100 FPS. I can attest how much a 70 grain 405 grain load friggin' hurts out of a Carbine.
You may want to rummage around here. Not seeing anything 'Carbine' specific though. There is some rifle data near the bottom of the 'Shooter's Page'. http://www.trapdoorcollector.com/

Thanks for the site info. Ha ha, the old 70 grainer slipped in a carbine by mistake or as a joke on a buddy.

rayg
05-14-2017, 07:36
Well I decided to give up using the 500 gr bullets I had left over that I used in the rifles. Maybe a bit heavy for the carbine. I looked up loads in the castboolit site and found an interesting idea which is using a round ball .457 with unique. Post says 10 grains but may reduce that a bit for the carbine. One poster stated he gets 4" groups at 100yrds. This would be a nice easy load to use with the Custer carbine, Ray

rayg
05-14-2017, 10:33
Happy day, I just found my 405 gr bullet mold among my mold collection. So I will load up some rds with that mold but will reduce the powder charges a few grs. for the carbine.
I will still try the round ball load as it looks like it would be fun to shoot. Ray