PDA

View Full Version : WTK: SRS CHECK on NRA SALES RIFLE

danco101
05-08-2017, 11:12
I have an NRA Sales Rifle, flaming bomb and NRA on trigger guard ser #602209 Springfield Armory and barrel date is SA 4-15.
any interest or info appreciated, thanks
dan in Fl. danco101@bellsouth.net

Rick the Librarian
05-08-2017, 06:45
No SRS match - you don't get many hits for an NRA Sales rifle. Pictures?

John Beard
05-08-2017, 09:57
Your rifle is a bit unusual in that no NRA rifles are known within 1,000 of that serial number. What inspection stamp appears in the stock? Please advise. And if you can post pictures, please favor us!

Thanks!

J.B.

03collector
05-09-2017, 04:01
Why is it that you just don't find any hits on NRA rifles. There must be records somewhere. I have 2 in my collection.

John Beard
05-09-2017, 06:42
Why is it that you just don't find any hits on NRA rifles. There must be records somewhere. I have 2 in my collection.

NRA rifles were ordered through each state's Adjutant General's office. Springfield Armory maintained shipping records, but those records did not reside in the Office of the Chief of Ordnance which now reside in the National Archives.

J.B.

03collector
05-10-2017, 04:16
Does anyone have those records. That is something i didn't know. Learn something new every day. I thought you purchased them from the DCM or something like it. Thanks for the info?

John Beard
05-10-2017, 09:26
Does anyone have those records. That is something i didn't know. Learn something new every day. I thought you purchased them from the DCM or something like it. Thanks for the info?

The records are located in a large government warehouse right next to the Hebrew Ark of the Covenant sought by Indiana Jones.

J.B.

Smokeeaterpilot
05-11-2017, 09:59

Contrary to popular belief. NARA only houses a small portion of govt. Documentation. The facility is massive, but the number they quote is only maintain between 3-5% of all government documentation. The other 95-97% is either still in custody of the various governmental departments or has been destroyed.

To my knowledge there are no SRS hits that are NRA sales. Frank Mallory's DCM Sales only start at 1922.

The regional NARA location in Boston houses a large portion of Springfield Armory Correspondance. The PreWWI document did not have any records of the NRA sales program.

John Beard
05-11-2017, 06:33
To my knowledge there are no SRS hits that are NRA sales. Frank Mallory's DCM Sales only start at 1922.

Andrew,

I have run across a few NRA sales records in the Chief of Ordnance files. But they're not marked as such. You have to know what to look for.

J.B.

Smokeeaterpilot
05-12-2017, 06:37
Andrew,

I have run across a few NRA sales records in the Chief of Ordnance files. But they're not marked as such. You have to know what to look for.

J.B.

I'm sure there are some numbers exist, but I was merely pointing out there are no NRA Sales citations in Mallory's database. I rarely look that early since I tend to avoid files that predate the War Decimal Filing System.