PDA

View Full Version : Can I get SRS Check and info

Shawn Grear
04-12-2017, 05:18
Hello Guys ,
Just recently acquired a high # SA . I always wanted one that would be safe to shoot . Any how here are its particulars
Springfield Armory 1903 , Serial #1321301 . Barrel is SA 7-42 date . Bolt is BF 24 . Rear Sight R marked . Stock is 2 bolt finger groove , BAWL cartouche on left side wrist . Very faint remains of a P behind trigger guard , and at the fore tip of the stock is a very small , about an 1/8 in. letter "s" that is laying on its back not straight up like a normal "s" . Butt Plate is smooth small trap with numbers on inner lid. Over all condition is very good by my standards with a excellent bore , crown . Had a friend install a #10 peep in rear sight , gunsmith ok'd the headspace and have already had it to the range . Shoots good , but I need to learn these sights better . Any info you can provide will be greatly appreciated . I will also be getting a high # Rock Island later this week and will post its particulars when it arrives . Thanks a lot Guys !
Shawn
PS , Also has Hatcher hole

Herschel
04-12-2017, 08:07
No hit on 1321301. No close serial numbers that might give a hint of it's history.

Shawn Grear
04-13-2017, 04:17
Thanks Hershel , but what does the small s laying on its back represent ? Is this a Springfield or RIA or a replacement stock marking ?
TIA , SG

Herschel
04-13-2017, 04:50
I can't answer that. I only collect and study the 1922 series Springfield rifles and the 1903 NRA Sporters.

Kaliman
04-13-2017, 04:53
Like this ?

http://imgur.com/gRU1nIL

Shawn Grear
04-14-2017, 06:29
Yes Kaliman , that is what is stamped on the tip of the stock , ( looking at the stock right under the muzzle / bore / crown ) .
thanx
sg

Emri
04-15-2017, 06:37
The "S" marking on the end of the stocks originated during the 1905-1910 alteration period. It is believed to mean the altered stocks were "shortened" after the change to 30/06 caliber. The practice of marking them was continued on new production stocks that were made to correct length. The approximately 1/8" "S" means the stock was made at Springfield Armory. Rock Island produced stocks had an approximately 1/4" "S" mark.

HTH,

Emri

Richard H Brown Jr
04-16-2017, 02:12
Don't know if you've had the link given to you yet. But, for the 1903 ladder sight:

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B3vgQuY3vA0FMlVOcmE3NS1Lbkk/edit?pli=1

If the top of the ladder sight has a notch in the top run across, it's the early sight with the volley notch. Not much good for anything now adays. It's for range around 2859yds.

The notch sight with the ladder down is for the 547 battle sight zero.

The peep sight all the way to the bottom is for adjusted ranges between 100yrds and 2375yds.

The "U" notch just slightly above it on the same cross bar is for adjusted ranges between 100yrds and 2475yds.

The "U" notch on the sliding bar with the thumb screw is for adjusted ranges between 1400yds to 2750yds.

for all the sights except the battle sight (ladder flat) you loosen the thumb screw and slide and adjust the sliding bar up/down for the range. note: the bottom 2 sights the peep and the notch have scribed lines to help you adjust the bar for the range you want. NOTE 2: The sight thumbscrew doesn't have detents, and the sight wasn't really designed for the current M2 ball. So your results may vary on elevation. The Old shooters used a micrometer to adjust the elevation, and recorded the setting for use on the range.

Windage: the windage isn't detented either, the moa between scribed lines is *around* 4 moa at 100yrds., you just have to make miniscule adjustments.

I'm just winging the adjustments from that link. It also gives some good manual titles for shooting the '03, and you can find them on the web to d/l for free.

Hope this helps some.

R. Brown