PDA

View Full Version : Help Solve a Mystery

Marine A5 Sniper Rifle
03-20-2017, 08:22
A friend sent me copies of A. O. Niedner's shop books. Mr. Niedner used a shorthand code for entering information for each job he was to perform. His handwriting is actually very ornate, but one particular abbreviation has us stumped. It is the letters "Won". As an example, Niedner used "Win" for Winchester. "Won" has me stumped. Niedner "Won's" scopes, barrels, rifles, etc. Anyone have any ideas?

jt

:1948:

gwp
03-20-2017, 09:10
Looks like a scope, mounts, Work on Springfield rifle and one adju sling.

Marine A5 Sniper Rifle
03-20-2017, 10:05
You are so right. We have been reading the "(" as a parenthetic. I just went back and realized it is indeed the word "work". I accidentally picked an example that looks like "work", as most of the others - not so much.. I will now slink back into my dark corner of the room.

jt

CPC
03-21-2017, 07:00
Great detective work! I'll pile on and say it looks like "work" too. My wife's uncle knew Mr. Niedner and used to go to his shop as a kid, however, I guess he later developed a friendship with Mr. Shelhamer who did the stock work for Niedner. Unfortunately a few years ago I had an opportunity to buy some parts and shop tools but I was not inclined (smart enough!} to do so. I think my wife's uncle may have some of his puzzles. Thanks for sharing the book.

Marine A5 Sniper Rifle
03-21-2017, 01:16
CPC, A friend of mine sent me copies of Niedner's Order/Work Book(s). Anything you want to see, let me know and I'll send you a copy.

Jim

clintonhater
03-21-2017, 01:16
Most interesting notation, I think, is work done for Ned Roberts.

clintonhater
03-21-2017, 01:18
CPC, A friend of mine sent me copies of Niedner's Order/Work Book(s). Anything you want to see, let me know and I'll send you a copy.

Jim

What years are included in these books?

Marine A5 Sniper Rifle
03-22-2017, 08:20
Most interesting notation, I think, is work done for Ned Roberts.

He did work for the most famous shooters of his day.

clintonhater
03-26-2017, 05:51
He did work for the most famous shooters of his day.

Here's three of them:40357

(Guess Ned wasn't invited!)

MMA10mm
03-26-2017, 07:54
Looks like a scope, mounts, Work on Springfield rifle and one adju sling.

I agree except the last line looks like "one adj ring." I'm thinking the "mount" mentioned above was a base and two rings, and the marksman wanted the front ring to be adjustable so he could exceed the adjustments built into the scope for really long-range shooting.

CPC
03-28-2017, 07:42
Nothing really there now as the building is vacant. This is the remnants of an old casting company that was built around the old Nieder Rifle Company in Dowagiac. Not very good shots as the other pics were a little too large and will take some editing.