PDA

View Full Version : Star Trek Voyager & Trapdoors

alfajim
03-17-2017, 09:36
Watched a rerun of Star Trek voyager S3:E11 the Q and the Grey and noted that all the long guns used in the Q civil war where trapdoors. Interesting!
Hollywood versions, Pedersoli, or originals, (fat chance):icon_rolleyes:?

Jim

Sunray
03-17-2017, 10:07
Star Trek Voyager is TV not reality. Any firearm that looks close is good enough for TV and movies.
Most likely they were not real firearms at all. Rubber/plastic props are used when the firearm doesn't need to go bang.
Gun shot sounds are put in during editing too. Movie types think blanks don't sound real enough.

alfajim
03-18-2017, 07:23
Just to up date ya all after doing some more research on this I found a web site that covers all the actual firearms used in all the Star Trek movies and episodes.
In the Q and the Grey they were actual real trapdoor replicas by Uberti modeled after the 1873 version and they were used in other episodes in the whole series and a number of other movies and TV series, they were in use as of 2009 as prop's.
So who knows they may still be in the warehouse?

Jim

free1954
03-19-2017, 03:53
I seen that episode. they looked real to me. a lot of the rifles on DANIAL BOONE with fess parker T.V. series were trapdoors with flintlock hammer.
only guys like us notice things like that. it drives my old lady crazy when I point that out.

psteinmayer
03-19-2017, 06:40
If you see the first season of The Beverly Hillbillies, in the title shot when Jed is shooting up some oil, I believe he's using a Trapdoor. Also, when Drysdale takes them skeet shooting, again, I believe Jed has a Trapdoor!

Major Tom
03-19-2017, 09:54
Genuine trapdoors have been used in movies for decades. Once in awhile you may find one for sale that is marked "Property of MGM) or some other property company.

AZshooter
03-20-2017, 11:54
I seen that episode. they looked real to me. a lot of the rifles on DANIAL BOONE with fess parker T.V. series were trapdoors with flintlock hammer.
only guys like us notice things like that. it drives my old lady crazy when I point that out.

I was looking around for parts and on one website found on their last parts page they sold Trapdoor prop hammers that looked like flintlock cocks.

1mark
03-20-2017, 04:03
Schultz carried a Krag in Hogans Hero's.

butlersrangers
03-20-2017, 08:22
The British Army had flint-lock trapdoors at the Battle of Culloden (BBC production).

free1954
03-21-2017, 03:25
my favorite show for trapdoors are the older wagon train with ward bond. when the Indians attack almost everyone has a saddle ring trapdoor carbine.

Griff Murphey
03-21-2017, 03:55
Watched an episode of BIG VALLEY with old Barbara Stanwyk, "The Invaders" where a scungy band of beggar-con-men robbers shot her boy with a trapdoor and then brought him in with the story "...we found him like this..." One of the areas they got into in stealing was Barbara's battery of Winchesters and as the robbers looked over the lever guns they commented, "A real CARTRIDGE gun!" So once again the old trapdoor played the muzzle loader. Not to worry the wounded boy recovered enough to kill 3 bad guys with a SAA and Barb and her blonde daughter finished off the other two with Winchesters.

psteinmayer
03-21-2017, 04:13
Schultz carried a Krag in Hogans Hero's.

There is an interesting story there: John Banner, who played Shultz was a Jew who escaped the holocaust by emigrating to the US as the Nazi's annexed Austria. When accepting the role of Shultz, it was with the clear understanding that he would not handle a German weapon. The Krag was a compromise.

Dick Hosmer
03-21-2017, 06:35
I've always wondered about that Banner story, which has been widely repeated. Not saying it is not true, at all, but why draw the line at the weapon? The uniform, flags, and the ambience should have bothered him just as much. In for a penny, in for a pound - I smell Hollywood liberalism taking the opportunity to "make a statement" about those nasty guns. Bunch of hypocrites.

psteinmayer
03-21-2017, 07:08
You well may be right with that too Dick. It does smack of sensationalization!

alfajim
03-21-2017, 03:42
The British Army had flint-lock trapdoors at the Battle of Culloden (BBC production).

In the Starz production of Outlander's book two Dragonfly in Amber in the training and battle scenes they are all flintlock muzzle loaders with an outside spring? on the hammer side and an elaborate brass strip on the off side (other side)?
As the show is filmed in Scotland I am assuming they are Brown Bess replicas?
Any one know?

Jim

S.A. Boggs
03-25-2017, 10:18
There is an interesting story there: John Banner, who played Shultz was a Jew who escaped the holocaust by emigrating to the US as the Nazi's annexed Austria. When accepting the role of Shultz, it was with the clear understanding that he would not handle a German weapon. The Krag was a compromise.
The Krag would be correct for a Luft Stalag Soldaten as the German's used any weapon that they captured. It was Werner Klemper, also a Jew, who insisted that Klink never got the upper hand. LeBeau unfortunately was sent to a concentration camp.
Sam