PDA

View Full Version : Static Electricity

Craig from kazoo
03-05-2017, 10:42
I'm pouring powder today with an older Pact auto-dispenser and e-scale, and the static electricity is terrible. Powder clinging to things in gravity defying directions, makes me doubt that all the powder is reaching the case no matter how careful I try.

The dispenser and scale are on a granite block in a cool (62F ish) and dry (winter in Michigan) basement.

Is there a way to rid the scale, dispenser and powder of the static?

Thanks in advance for your help,

Craig

nf1e
03-05-2017, 12:59
A quick rub down with a bounce dryer sheet will take care of it.

Craig from kazoo
03-05-2017, 04:10
Nice solution nfle, worked perfectly!

Thanks,

Craig

dave
03-05-2017, 04:33
Can be dangerous if a spark jumps.

tmark
03-05-2017, 07:28
I've read where too low a humidity level in the house or room propagates static electricity. Maybe a humidifier is in order.

Craig from kazoo
03-06-2017, 03:13
I can see where a spark would be an unwelcome surprise. Totally agree with the humidity level of the house, but it's usually not a problem.

It was a problem yesterday though, found flakes of powder sticking to the bottom of the e-scale table/disk because of the static attraction. Heck I had flakes of Unique moving a half inch horizontally from it's gravitational path as it dropped into the scale's receiving cup and sensed the cup's edge. Pretty messy haha, but that dryer sheet did the job, and the basement smells better.

Thanks,

Craig

Sunray
03-10-2017, 10:45
Static electricity will not ignite smokeless powders.

JohnMOhio
04-17-2017, 09:47
Craig, take a dryer sheet, wrap it around the upper part of your meter ( I assume it is clear plastic) with a rubber band.