PDA

View Full Version : Colt 38 Detective Special

Merc
02-27-2017, 06:38
I just acquired a 1948 Colt 38 Detective Special revolver that appears to be in average condition for its age. What tests and measurements are performed on a revolver to determine its shootability?

Art
02-27-2017, 05:08
Things I look at when I check out a revolver.

Open the cylinder and spin it. The cylinder should spin freely. If the cylinder doesn't spin the usual culprits are crud in the mechanism, damage to the crane by folks repeatedly snapping it shut with a flick of the wrist or a slightly bent ejector rod.
With the cylinder shut, check the cylinder for fore and aft play. The cylinder should move little if any and should not drag on the barrel at all.
Cock the hammer in the single action mode. The cylinder should lock in place over each chamber.
Slowly pull the trigger in the double action mode while controlling the hammer with your thumb. The cylinder should lock into place just before the hammer falls on each chamber. Colts tend to lose timing with much use. Repairing this can be pricey.
Cock the hammer then try to make it fall by applying thumb pressure on the back of the hammer spur. The hammer should not fall. If the hammer does fall its a sign of tampering and this one is a deal breaker.

If it passes all of these you have an un "bubba-ed" in time revolver with no bent, damaged or seriously worn parts.

Randy
02-27-2017, 05:39
Look at the gap between the face of the cylinder and the back end of the barrel. Now look straight up just above that gap to the bottom of the top strap. What your looking for on the bottom of the top strap is flame cutting. If the pistol has been shot enough the flame that jumps across the cylinder and the back of the barrel will start eroding the bottom of the strap. I've seen flame erosion so bad on some revolvers that a mechanical pencil lead will fit in the cut. Hope this helps.

Merc
02-27-2017, 08:32
Here are two pics of the Colt 38 Detective Special.

Merc
02-27-2017, 08:33
There is some blueing loss to holster wear and someone scratched their initials on the left side of the gun (GP) and the date (3-29-52) probably marked for ID purposes. The gun passes all tests and measurements. Thanks for the help.

Art
02-28-2017, 06:48
There is some blueing loss to holster wear and someone scratched their initials on the left side of the gun (GP) and the date (3-29-52) probably marked for ID purposes. The gun passes all tests and measurements. Thanks for the help.

Nice older D.S. It looks used but not abused. I think you did well.

fjruple
03-01-2017, 06:30
Merc--

It looks like the leftside plate has been replaced. The bluing and wear should be same on those areas as these revolvers are blued at the same time. The markings looks like evidence markings that was scratched into the gun. Usually the initials of the investigator and the date the gun was seized by police. I have one like it, it sat in the police chief's desk drawer new until he retired. It has just a few scratches from the debris in his drawer.

--fjruple

Merc
03-01-2017, 12:15
Merc--

It looks like the leftside plate has been replaced. The bluing and wear should be same on those areas as these revolvers are blued at the same time. The markings looks like evidence markings that was scratched into the gun. Usually the initials of the investigator and the date the gun was seized by police. I have one like it, it sat in the police chief's desk drawer new until he retired. It has just a few scratches from the debris in his drawer.

--fjruple

I wondered about the marks. Thanks for the information.

JB White
03-02-2017, 05:32
Aren't the Colt side plates serial numbered beneath to the gun? Might be worth a look-see. If it's a replacement, then another replacement wouldn't hurt.

Merc
03-02-2017, 07:20
Aren't the Colt side plates serial numbered beneath to the gun? Might be worth a look-see. If it's a replacement, then another replacement wouldn't hurt.

JB,

I'll probably keep the gun in its original configuration. It was my sister's home protector and her snake gun since her home was in Arizona.

Merc

JB White
03-02-2017, 12:59
Sentimental value trumps all. :)

noslack327
03-02-2017, 08:32
Looks like it was marked for evidence.

Merc
03-02-2017, 09:00
Looks like it was marked for evidence.

It would be interesting to know the gun's history. Pistols marked for evidence these days rarely make it back on the street.

mike9905
03-26-2017, 07:50
Two other tests. Looking at the revolver from the business end press against the cylinder to see if there is play between the frame and crane. There should be zero play. With the pistol unloaded, for each chamber cock the hammer and with the hammer held back pull the trigger; if the cylinder moves the pistol is worn and out of time.

ww2eyes
04-02-2017, 07:45
i think it is shootable, i have seen even older funs function without a hiccups, but to be on a safer side its best have it as a safe queen.

Merc
04-10-2017, 08:49
I had a gun smith look at the cylinder play and he says the wear is minimal and the action is functioning normally.

Merc
04-29-2017, 11:02
I took the 1948 Colt .38 Detective Special revolver to the range the other day and shot about 30 rounds at a 12" target at a distance of 25'. 19 of them were on the paper and 5 were just off the paper. Trigger pull was heavier than expected with the hammer in the uncocked position so most of the rounds that were on the paper were fired with the hammer in the fully cocked position with a very light trigger pull.

Update: I give the barrel and cylinder a good post-range cleaning. I also removed the grips and the spring area that was visible was dry. I worked some gun oil into the spring mechanism and around the hammer and trigger. Trigger pull feels about the same and is probably normal. Might invest in the services of my gunsmith to disassemble and give it a good cleaning and lub.

Curious as to the estimated value of the pistol. As previously mentioned, it's probably in average condition for a 70 year old. There's some holster wear resulting in some bluing loss on the forward surface of the cylinder and around the tip of the barrel. No nicks or dings from being dropped. The grips are minty checkered wood without flaws. The barrel rifling appears crisp, the cylinder wear/play is minimal, bullets load and fired cases extract easily. The trigger/hammer functions properly without sticking. The entire firing mechanism is tight. Best of all, it shoots well. The only damage occurred when someone scratched their initials and date into the surface of the side plate.

Update: The best examples of similar vintage Detective Specials I've seen on www.gunbroker.com were bid in the $400 to $800 price range. Newer nickel models were higher.

Merc
05-27-2017, 08:13
I found a great site for Colt revolvers:

www.coltfever.com

Merc
05-28-2017, 05:04

According to the various issued models of the Detective Specials shown on www.coltfever.com, it appears that my DS began its life as something other than a DS. The serial number is 500727 which, if it was a DS, indicates it was made in 1948 however the squared butt handle as shown in the photo indicates that design would have been used on the earliest DS model made between 1927-1933. HOWEVER, the s/n 500727 was also assigned to the following revolvers which indicates a high likelihood that it wasn't originally a DS. The best candidate would probably be a 1923 Army Special or Officers Model Special since all post-war models had rounded butt handles.

Officers Model Special
Police Positive Special
Army Special
1911 Military

The front sight on the earlier DS issues was half moon-shaped while the front sight on my DS is the later ramp-shaped which indicates the original long barrel was replaced at some point in time with a newer 2 inch DS barrel. The hammer and trigger on my DS are checkered while the cylinder release knob is not checkered. The mix of components in this revolver reminds me of the way the war-time rebuilding processes were conducted on military rifles. Use anything from a pile of parts that fits and works.

It's an interesting revolver that shoots well and I guess that's what counts.