PDA

View Full Version : 1917 barrel?

Ron
01-27-2017, 07:38
I posted in the want ads of this forum but thought I should take a chance that some 1917 owners may not frequent the classifieds sections so I would like to add that I am looking for a good 1917 original condition 30-06 barrel.
Not a wall hanger or for collections but to use as a shooter , New Old stock is also welcomed.
PM me with details please.
Thanks
Ron

nf1e
01-27-2017, 11:26
I think the 1917 Criterion barrels that the CMP sells would be just the ticket. Check them out.

Dan Shapiro
01-27-2017, 02:11
Ron, wanted to do the same a couple of years ago when I picked up a '17 with a toasted barrel. Looked and looked, came up with nothing. Went with the CMP barrel. Had I to do it over again, I'd have had the barrel relined. That way I could have saved the 'original barrel'.

Ron
01-27-2017, 05:01
Really do not want a new manufacture rather have an old one that is good bore.
Dan I know what you mean , I sold and traded a lot of stuff I wish I had kept.
Hopefully someone will have a barrel that they realize they will never use.
Best
Ron

S.A. Boggs
01-28-2017, 12:59
Ron, wanted to do the same a couple of years ago when I picked up a '17 with a toasted barrel. Looked and looked, came up with nothing. Went with the CMP barrel. Had I to do it over again, I'd have had the barrel relined. That way I could have saved the 'original barrel'.
With the pressure generated with the 30-06 I am not sure that a liner would stay in.
Sam

RC20
01-28-2017, 04:35
If you want a barrel you will have to buy a gun that has it.

There are zero OEM barrels out there. In 5 years I have seen one, it was going North of 300 when I quit bidding.

I have some with good TE and MW measurements I am happy to sell for the right price. PM me if you want.

Short of that a Criterion will do wonderfully.

Ron
01-28-2017, 05:15
PM sent

Dave in NGA
01-29-2017, 03:41
You should troll on Ebay. I've found a couple 1917 barrels
over the past few years. Usually missmarked as to what they are. I just scored an A3 barrel this weekend labeled as; "Vintage military barrel ... in cosmoline" for $49.99. There's no telling how many good buys are out there from individuals who have no idea what they are selling and it's value.

Merc
01-29-2017, 08:48
You should troll on Ebay. I've found a couple 1917 barrels
over the past few years. Usually missmarked as to what they are. I just scored an A3 barrel this weekend labeled as; "Vintage military barrel ... in cosmoline" for $49.99. There's no telling how many good buys are out there from individuals who have no idea what they are selling and it's value.

Great find. Just looked under "Vintage Military Barrel" (sold listings), and there it was. Never thought to look for barrels on eBay. Since only 1/2 half of the barrel was visible, I'm really curious to know how you recognized it as an A3 barrel when the only stamp mark showing was an A80?

Ron
01-30-2017, 05:01
Great find. Just looked under "Vintage Military Barrel" (sold listings), and there it was. Never thought to look for barrels on eBay. Since only 1/2 half of the barrel was visible, I'm really curious to know how you recognized it as an A3 barrel when the only stamp mark showing was an A80?

I trolled Ebay and all the auctions sites till I finally gave up and asked on various gun forums.

Bought a new olds stock one last night off this very Forum.
A forum I have read for years,
This forum is laid back and lots of older guys hang here.
Some fart knocker has placed a virus on this forum and I have to clean my PC after I have visited here.
Scum bags.
I always enjoy reading here.
Ron

Dan Shapiro
01-30-2017, 05:07
I've trolled ebay on several occasions and been successful, but it's time consuming. The seller doesn't really know what they have, so you have to cast a wide net in your search terms.
Found a pristine WRA Garand barrel.....just listed as 'old hunting rifle barrel'. Luckily he posted a pic with a mashed W logo. On another occasion found a McKeever pouch, NOS, listed as "leather ammo bag".

Dave in NGA
02-01-2017, 01:32
Well folks, my $49.99 barrel arrived today. When the grease and cloth wrap were removed I discovered a new 1903 A3 barrel made by Remington in 8/44. Yes, it's a two groove but it's brand new. I'm pleased.

Merc
02-01-2017, 03:33
Sweeeet.

BudT
02-10-2017, 05:29
It's a shame you hadn't advertised for this a year- to a year and 1/2 ago. There are still barrels new in the wrap out there 03A3/03 and P-17 and yes I know that for a "fact" because I have held them in my hands. I also know for a fact that the guys that have some of those barrels still have them. Keep looking they are out there.

BudT