PDA

View Full Version : "C" marked NM rifles

dokcop
01-06-2017, 08:07
An old and 03-knowledgeable friend claims that most or all NM rifles were stamped with a C followed by an unrecalled six digit number about 1/16" high on the bottom of the rear sight base. I've never seen any mention of such in standard 03 reference literature but have learned to take this gentleman's opinions seriously. Does anyone have any info re the above before I feel compelled to take some guns apart and look for it?

Rick the Librarian
01-06-2017, 08:29
I believe your friend is talking about the practice in the late 1930s of marking some M1903 parts with a drawing number, like you see on M1 Garands. A good example is the handguard made in the late 1930s - it had a D28179 stamp on the top. While such parts were used on National Match M1903s, they are also seen on regular service rifles of that period.

cplnorton
01-06-2017, 08:36
It does show up on the late NM's. But my understanding of it is it is not exclusive to the NM's. I have always been told that SA started to mark parts late with the drawning number.

dokcop
01-06-2017, 11:31
It does show up on the late NM's. But my understanding of it is it is not exclusive to the NM's. I have always been told that SA started to mark parts late with the drawning number.

Thanks for the replies, guys. I believe late M2s have C prefixed numbers ..so, does the "c" prefixed stamp appear only on the rear sight band, or in other places?

Rick the Librarian
01-06-2017, 12:14
Several other parts, as well, although I'd have to look to see for sure.

Johnny P
01-06-2017, 01:04
Probably the zenith of the drawing number marked parts was the early M1 Rifle. Eventually most of the parts lost their drawing number.

The letter from A to D represented the standard size of the sheet of engineering drawing paper the part was drawn up on, thus the name "Drawing Number." The drawings were filed by size, and I suppose in numerical order. A was the smallest sheet with D being the largest.

Shown below are a few parts with their drawing number, the oddest being the long lower buttplate screw.

http://i64.tinypic.com/35hh05c.jpg

RCS
01-06-2017, 01:50
I have found a few numbered parts over the years, the drawing number on the trigger is not
National Match - that has a different drawing number3930539306393073930839309

John Beard
01-06-2017, 05:21
An old and 03-knowledgeable friend claims that most or all NM rifles were stamped with a C followed by an unrecalled six digit number about 1/16" high on the bottom of the rear sight base. I've never seen any mention of such in standard 03 reference literature but have learned to take this gentleman's opinions seriously. Does anyone have any info re the above before I feel compelled to take some guns apart and look for it?

Seasons' Greetings!

The number you refer to is "C 64112". This drawing number first appeared on National Match barrels beginning in late 1936. Earlier National Match rifles were not numbered.

But be not deceived. Drawing number "C 63934" appeared on service rifle barrels over the same time frame. So unless you make the distinction, presence of a "C"-prefixed six-digit number is no assurance of a National Match rifle.

Happy New Year!

J.B.

Randy A
01-06-2017, 05:55
Something else that may be applicable is the star gauge numbers, generally on the barrels just ahead of the rear sight base. Can't say "all" but a majority of what I've seen are C and three to four digits long like C 2139.

John Beard
01-06-2017, 08:12
Something else that may be applicable is the star gauge numbers, generally on the barrels just ahead of the rear sight base. Can't say "all" but a majority of what I've seen are C and three to four digits long like C 2139.

Seasons' Greetings!

With no intention of bursting your bubble, star gauge record number prefixes cover many, if not most letters of the alphabet. And the numbers range from single to four digits.

Happy New Year!

J.B.

chuckindenver
01-07-2017, 08:38
drawing numbers were used on some replacement parts starting in about 1937. and wernt NM only.
they are uncommon but not rare.
CV marked parts such as sear and cocking rods along with drawing numbers can be NM parts , but have been found on standard service rifles.
sights and sight bases, stocks, handguards, cut offs. trigger, sear, cocking rod, extractors, buttplate, buttplate trapdoor,
floor plate, follower, and front sight are some of what iv seen over the years.

Johnny P
01-07-2017, 12:17
Drawing numbers on M2 Bolt assembly.

http://i64.tinypic.com/2jryms.jpg

http://i63.tinypic.com/65y9at.jpg

Johnny P
01-07-2017, 12:24
WWII Springfield Armory replacement barrel for 1911/1911A1 with the drawing number.

http://i68.tinypic.com/2ljm9zr.jpg

Randy A
01-07-2017, 01:26
Seasons' Greetings!

With no intention of bursting your bubble, star gauge record number prefixes cover many, if not most letters of the alphabet. And the numbers range from single to four digits.

Happy New Year!

J.B.

Yep, just mentioning that this too could be a feature that the gentleman was talking about on NM rifles.