PDA

View Full Version : 60946xx M1

Fireman Ron
12-07-2016, 10:39
I recently aquired a 6 mil ser # M1. She is in great shape with a DAS & serif P stamp stock. 65 series YO1 bolt. 65 series op-rod and trigger group. High hump lock.
SA 10-54 barrel. The strange things....... The serial # is writen in the barrel channel followed by DON. The stock is glass bedded. nice job too. Trigger is better than the average M1. Sights while not "match" sights are tight. No NM stamp on barrel that I can find. Overall a very nice rifle. Anything else I should be looking For?

Major Tom
12-08-2016, 04:24
I'm just curious, but why use 'Xs' in the serial number? The serial number of my SA garand is: 2678193.

swampyankee
12-08-2016, 10:34
Because in the 21st century , why would you broadcast on an open forum, to the entire world, the serial# of your firearm.

Johnny P
12-08-2016, 03:43
But give your Social Security number to anyone you want to establish an account with from the local water company to your insurance agent.

dryheat
12-08-2016, 06:25
Sounds like a great rifle. Maybe there is a NM on the front of the barrel. Or NM stamped underneath the gas cylinder. On the barrel, under the oprod there might be some odd looking stamps.

Litt'le Lee
12-08-2016, 08:47
CMP can research rifle for you -It came from CMP

Major Tom
12-09-2016, 02:34
Because in the 21st century , why would you broadcast on an open forum, to the entire world, the serial# of your firearm.

So what are they gonna do with my full serial number? It's not a stolen firearm. And nobody can claim it is their long lost firearm!

dryheat
12-09-2016, 08:32
Stop.

Johnny P
12-09-2016, 02:01
In the excellent paper written by the Major, on the first early NM marked barrels the NM was closer to the front ring of the gas cylinder for a couple of years, then moved a little farther back to about half way between the rings. It was originally stamped, but this was changed to an engraved NM. He does not indicate the NM would be found anywhere else.

swampyankee
12-09-2016, 02:54
But give your Social Security number to anyone you want to establish an account with from the local water company to your insurance agent.
And why would you give most of these people your SS #. If you have to give it ,you don't put it on a open forum.

Johnny P
12-09-2016, 06:37
And why would you give most of these people your SS #. If you have to give it ,you don't put it on a open forum.

You might as well put on an open forum as every employee that has access to the files where your information is kept can easily get your Social Security number. With your SS number they can open accounts, get credit, and do anything with it you can.

As ask, what does someone do with a gun's serial number?

12-18-2016, 07:00
The fact that the stock is glass bedded and trigger appears to have been worked on leads me to believe that it was built as a match rifle by someone other than SA. Civilian shooter or maybe military. If military I think you would see other indicators and it would show more wear than you seem to indicate. The rifle may have been built up using Class B NM replacement barrel such as the one pictured, which is also dated 1954. A number of 54 & 55 dated barrels were found by Ordnance in 1959 that met NM specs. These barrels were available through the DCM and to the military. Sometimes the NM marking is further up under the handguard. I will add that the 1954 & 55 barrels were also used by SA in building Type 2 NM rifles. These barrels will be marked NM on the barrel between the rings of the gas cylinder.

Fireman Ron
12-23-2016, 05:26
I need to take her all the way down for a good cleaning and inspection. I will report back any additional findings.