PDA

View Full Version : Working up a "ball Load" for a T/C 12 GA., New Englander shotgun..

jjrothWA
11-29-2016, 05:02
Was trying low end loads @ 80 grs, with a single .684"diameter ball and patch of .024" thick of old blue jean material.

Found some patches after firing and all were strips not round shape, so I thought putting a thick wad over the powder and second wad over the ball and patch.

There was an increase of accuracy on my target as I be came accustom to the final load of 100 gr., powder with a over-powder wad, the patched 12 GA., ball and second wad over that.

All comments accepted.

Thanks.

steved66
12-01-2016, 09:00
Sounds like the burning powder was scorching the patch (old blue jean) and that you solved the problem by using an over-powder wad before the patched ball. If the patch/ball combination is tight, you probably don't need the wad over the patched ball, since there would be no risk of the patched ball moving/rolling forward.

Did you see better accuracy with loads using the over-powder wad as the cushion between the burning powder and the patched ball? I would think you would since you reduced the variable of gas cutting past the patched ball.