PDA

View Full Version : Crossing state lines with a firearm

Merc
11-18-2016, 09:26
I recently bought two rifles, on two separate occasions, from Cabalas in Wheeling, WV. One is a Winchester M1917 and the other is a Remington 03-A3. I simply put them in the trunk of my car and drove them across the state line into Pennsylvania. Was that legal?

I will be going on vacation to Florida in a few months and I thought about taking the M1917 and a few boxes of ammo with me to do some range shooting with a relative who lives in Florida and is anxious to see and shoot this 99 year old beauty. My question is, is it legal to transport a rifle and ammo across state lines? I will actually be crossing 6 state lines - WV, VA, NC, SC, GA and FL (twice).

Dick Hosmer
11-18-2016, 10:18
If the legalities get too complicated, you MIGHT consider mailing the bolts and the ammo to your relative, and travel only with the inoperable rifles.

Liam
11-18-2016, 11:16
If the legalities get too complicated, you MIGHT consider mailing the bolts and the ammo to your relative, and travel only with the inoperable rifles.

This is how I go shooting into neighboring WV from VA. Bolts and ammo in locked Pelican box. Rifles in sleeves without bolts. Not a complete rifle at that point.

SMOKEY
11-18-2016, 03:04
As long as you are going south and not in passenger compartment, I believe you to be ok. But, don't go through New Yoik, they aint got no sense of humor

Merc
11-18-2016, 05:09
There's a problem - we have a minivan so locking the rifle out of the passenger compartment isn't possible. We have some time before the trip. I might consult with our sheriff's office to see if they can offer a solution.

Mike in NC
11-18-2016, 06:39
I don't pretend to know the legalities of all the states you are passing through, but putting the rifle in a locked case so it is not readily accessible may address your problems.

m1ashooter
11-18-2016, 10:20
You are traveling through southern states not an issue to have a long gun in your vehicle. To be safe google the question as Castle Laws have been signed in many state but the rule of thumb is cased in the trunk or out of reach and separate from the ammo.

IditarodJoe
11-19-2016, 05:11
As long as Merc stays with the route he's described, there is no cause for concern as long as the rifle travels unloaded and is kept in the rear of his minivan. His rifle must be cased and his ammunition must be packed in a separate container. For those who travel with firearms, I strongly recommend springing for a new copy of "Traveler's Guide to the Firearms Laws of the Fifty States" every couple of years. At around $15 it's a worthwhile investment. I carry a copy with me whenever I'm traveling out of state.

keith smart
11-19-2016, 07:18
Federal peaceable journey laws apply in these states.

Art
11-19-2016, 07:28
Federal peaceable journey laws apply in these states.

This is true. Federal laws have been passed to protect people with firearms who are not residents of a state from being harassed when they pass through. However in some states, especially Mass, N.Y. and N.J. the authorities truly have the attitude that you might "beat the rap but you won't beat the ride." They know you're from out of state and they'll threaten you with charges and try to get you to sign over your guns to them as tribute to let you pass. This is grossly illegal but they figure that you won't go to the expense to fight it in court. Most of the time they're right. A lot of officers will just let you go, but then there are the others. I would never try to check or re check a firearm at JFK or La Guardia, that's truly asking for trouble.

Minimize you're chances of being picked on in firearm unfriendly states. Keep those guns cased, preferably with the bolts out and ammunition in a separate container. Scrupulously obey the traffic laws. Be very respectful and courteous if you're stopped, it really can go a long way in minimizing you're inconvenience. It's kept me from getting a ticket more than once, including one time recently when I really deserved one.

Merc
11-19-2016, 11:31
I knew I could count on you guys for sound advice. I have the standard padded zipper cases which I use to transport my guns to the range. Since they're not lockable, I'll look around for a hard sided lockable case. Any suggestions?

Art
11-23-2016, 06:56
Merc

Just noticed your last post. I find Plano makes an excellent hard case, not the prestige of a Pelican but an excellent waterproof airtight lockable case (you will need your own pad lock(s) for a price that won't break you. Go on line to Optics Planet. The carry a lot of gun cases at good prices. If you buy from them order on the phone and ask what their best price is for what you're buying. You may be surprised with an extra discount or a perk like free shipping.

Hope this helps.

trimmer99
11-26-2016, 01:25
Don't send the ammo via USPS. A friend sent me some 45/70 black powder loads that he had reloaded. I got a call from the postal inspector and had to go to the post office and explain what they were and why they were shipped (illegally). Luckily they accepted my explanation and let me take them home. (It was only a couple of boxes and the friend actually told the postal worker what they were when he sent them.) The packaging had torn and revealed what the contents were. RB

Merc
11-26-2016, 06:48
Don't send the ammo via USPS. A friend sent me some 45/70 black powder loads that he had reloaded. I got a call from the postal inspector and had to go to the post office and explain what they were and why they were shipped (illegally). Luckily they accepted my explanation and let me take them home. (It was only a couple of boxes and the friend actually told the postal worker what they were when he sent them.) The packaging had torn and revealed what the contents were. RB

Good advice. I knew the Post Office won't accept anything explosive. I ordered a box of Goex black powder 45/70 cartridges a few years ago and I'm pretty sure they were shipped to me by UPS. The trapdoor is still hanging on the wall and the full box of 45/70 is still in the safe. Maybe 2017 will be the year that I finally take the old boy to the range and see what it can do. I've never shot a black powder rifle before so this will be a new experience.

I'm going to check out some hard gun cases at a gun show tomorrow in Monroeville (Pittsburgh) and also look for a lockable ammo box. I figure I'll lock up both the guns and ammo so they won't be "readily available" while crossing state lines in a mini van.

(I'll take my .303 British gauges along to the gun show in case an interesting WW2 Enfield No. 4 is there.)

IditarodJoe
11-26-2016, 07:29
Federal laws have been passed to protect people with firearms who are not residents of a state from being harassed when they pass through. However in some states, especially Mass, N.Y. and N.J. the authorities truly have the attitude that you might "beat the rap but you won't beat the ride."
It's called the McClure-Volkmer Act of 1986, and any law enforcement officer who behaves as Art describes is an utter disgrace to the profession and should be driven out by his respectable fellow officers. If good cops don't want to carry a bad reputation, it's up to them to police their own.