PDA

View Full Version : Unloading Muzzle Loaders

tmark
11-15-2016, 07:18
I'd like to know how you unload your muzzle loaders at the end of a hunt if the rifle is not fired? Do you just shoot out the projectile?

High Plaines Doug r
11-15-2016, 08:32
That's the easiest way. Or you can pull the bullet with the appropriate screw tipped puller on your ramrod. There are pneumatic devices that attach to your nipple hole using a CO2 cartridge if that suits you. I suppose the in-lines allow you to unscrew the breech and push the ball out either front or back? I don't know enough to comment on that system.

Grabenkater
11-16-2016, 01:02
Remove cap or priming powder.

dave
11-16-2016, 05:24
I once left a load in for a year, w/o cap and it fired the first time following season. Even if you pull the ball/bullet the powder will not just dump out. By then it is hard packed in place.

Emri
11-16-2016, 06:54
I suppose the in-lines allow you to unscrew the breech and push the ball out either front or back? I don't know enough to comment on that system.

Yes, that is correct. Only works if the rifle is kept clean though. Push from front to rear to minimize effort. No reason to push the ball all the way through the bore again.

jjrothWA
11-18-2016, 05:28
Best way is to shoot the load, here in SE Michigan the varying humidity can give problems and with the late muzzleloader season the change from outdoor temperatur to indoor can damped the powder.