PDA

View Full Version : Old Remington sniper

xarmor
02-20-2010, 01:40
Well I dug this one out of the back of the safe, its an old Remington 700. It is a .308 and was made in late 1966 I believe. Don't know its history, probably a parts gun but somebody went out of their way to put it all together. I believe the barrel is a Nam vet for sure. The rings are dated 1-66 and according to Remington the receiver was made in 1966, date codes on barrel indicate Aug of 66 I believe.. Originally it had a satin black Redfield on it.

http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t163/xarmor/IMG_0933-1.jpg

Sunray
02-21-2010, 12:23
Scoping a heavy barreled Rem 700 doesn't make it a sniper's rifle. Then or now. They sure did use nice wood then though.

xarmor
02-21-2010, 02:35
Scoping a heavy barreled Rem 700 doesn't make it a sniper's rifle. Then or now. They sure did use nice wood then though.

Really? That is all Remington did when they built the M40 for the Corps and when they built the 1903a4. The M1D/C was basically a service grade rifle with a scope, and in Vietnam Winchesters had off the shelf scopes added and were fielded by snipers. Japs, Germans and Russians scoped a service rifle and had themselves a rifle that could be fielded by snipers. With the exception of the Springfield model 1941 that was built by the Corps, there were very few custom built sniper rifles fielded by the military in any number until the M40a1 came around. The M21 had some custom work also in the later days of Vietnam. Just my two cents.

jmoore
02-21-2010, 11:50
Looks like a super clean M40 stock as well. (Doesn't look like a sanded down ADL stock, but its hard to tell just from the one pic.) Wide swivel loops,too.

xarmor
02-22-2010, 04:37
Here are a few more pics.

http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t163/xarmor/IMG_0959-1.jpg

http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t163/xarmor/IMG_0952.jpg

http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t163/xarmor/IMG_0964.jpg http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t163/xarmor/IMG_0936.jpg

hagar in SC
02-22-2010, 09:44

If they shot as well as my HB 22/250, I would say they did qualify.:1948:

Most modern rifles will outshoot by far the best sniper rifles from WW1 and WW2.

kurtflys
02-22-2010, 04:27
I like it.. How did it get the US marking??? Was it an issued gun?
Kurt

jmoore
02-22-2010, 09:53
Main problem: Its too nice for old marine kit. Drag it around and live w/ it outside in Florida monsoon weather for a few weeks and then it ought to look about right.:)

Shooter5
02-28-2010, 09:09
Very nice rig! How does it group? Does Remington offer factory letters? Its history would sure be neat to see.

xarmor
03-01-2010, 02:47
I have not been able to get any documentation from Remington yet, I guess I have not been able to get in touch witht the right person. It groups pretty good, with a std Redfield I shot groups right around 1" with 168 SBTHP (m852), some a little better and some a little worse. I only put the Green scope on for display. Anybody have a contact at Remington that may be able to help with the receiver history? Here are a couple more pics, the top one is the clipslot on this rifle.

http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t163/xarmor/Vietnam%20M40/Clip%20slot/100_1852-1.jpg
http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t163/xarmor/Vietnam%20M40/Clip%20slot/100_1857.jpg

Bsully
03-01-2010, 06:15
Not to pick at the rifle as it is a good representative build up, but the clip slotting is incorrect for an M40 or a 40x. The left hand rail is the wrong length as is the bevel. The eyebrow cuts are incorrect and the U.S. looks to be hand stamped. Probably started life as a commercial rifle. None the less a good build up and neat kit.

chuckindenver
03-01-2010, 06:19
not sure what your getting at, but all the first 1000 M40,s were standard M700 Remingtons, and only the first 200 had the stripper clip guide.
no M40,s were ever marked 40X..they were{are} marked 700.
not all US marked 700,s were military issued rifles, many were used by other Gov sources.
US Game and Fish in some states, FBI CIA, and some state police got them as well.
my source at Remington cant help with who it was issued to, but can tell if it was military or other..
contact Redstone Ars, for the info..they may or maynot be able to find the dispo, of that rifle.
mine was likely a Wy, Game and Fish rifle. and never saw combat..
mine is roll stamped U.S. PROPERTY above the serial number.
i watched another M40 sell 2 weeks ago that was hand stamped U.S. by the CMP.

Bsully
03-01-2010, 06:34
More than the first 200 were clip slotted. As a matter of fact all were clip slotted from the original contract to include the 600k serial numbered rifle just sold on CMP. There have been a few aborations that have shown up in publications with just a square cut out in the rear of the receiver but they are the exception to the rule if they are what they are said to be.

M40s are clip slotted the same way a 40x is clip slotted, hence the reference. No statement was made as to any marking only the clip slot and one would be identical to the other in that regard.

Have never seen a "US Property" roll stamped M40 but have seen the same on a 40x 22.

The rifles sold/ shipped to other sources were from later in the production run as the Marine Corps order was nearing its fullfilment. The were other agencies and departments the at ordered them concurently and in a few different configurations, to include a groupe to the Navy in ADL trim.

The rifle sold at the CMP was indeed roll stamped and is listed in the DOD central registry as an Air Force rifle.

30cal_Fun
03-09-2010, 10:04
That is one of the most beautiful rifles I have ever set eyes on!
There are a lot of people with 5000 dollar match rifles, but to me, nothing beats the traditional look of parkerized steel and a walnut stock with an oil finish.

If you have (or can make) some more pictures of the rifle that would be great.

One question to everyone, I intend to buy a Remington (SPS Varmint) and put an m40 style stock on it, but I have a hard time finding a stock. (I can do the finishing myself)
It's not complicated, Monte Carlo cheek piece, no grip caps, no checkering, and a sporter style fore end, so basically an ADL stock with a BDL cut out. which was exactly what the original stocks where. but it's hard to find.

Numrich seems to have one, but is has no pictures and I have not been able to find anything else.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Take care, Louis

jmoore
03-09-2010, 02:44
There is a gent in PA that does them I believe, http://www.gunstockduplicating.com/duplication.html
give him a try.

30cal_Fun
03-09-2010, 03:05
Thanks!
His work seems good.

Ay main question here is actually, does he ship to Europe?
you see, I live in Europe, so things that are easy to get in the US are very difficult here. I have all the licenses required, so that is no problem, but even a simple thing like ordering a replacement stock for a rifle poses a problem. it has to be shipped, and a lot of companies don't send it overseas.
A lot of companies like Midway-USA or even Brownell's often don't ship to Europe

Louis

milboltnut
03-09-2010, 06:13
The scope mounts are redfeild with a windage adjustment. I don't think I would feel comfortable with that set up as a sniper.

chuckindenver
03-09-2010, 08:33
Thanks!
His work seems good.

Ay main question here is actually, does he ship to Europe?
you see, I live in Europe, so things that are easy to get in the US are very difficult here. I have all the licenses required, so that is no problem, but even a simple thing like ordering a replacement stock for a rifle poses a problem. it has to be shipped, and a lot of companies don't send it overseas.
A lot of companies like Midway-USA or even Brownell's often don't ship to Europe

Louis

FYI: shipping gunparts to Europe is a Felony in the US..check your import laws.

30cal_Fun
03-09-2010, 10:24
FYI: shipping gunparts to Europe is a Felony in the US..check your import laws.

Not always, for barrels, receivers, bolts and ammunition, yes, because they are considered parts that "belong to, or facilitate the firing of cased ammunition" (to quote our book of law) however, a stock is not considered a gun part (it is marked "sporting good") because it is not part of the actual "firearm". as far back as I can remember people have been able to import things like stocks, triggers, and even whole rifles directly out of the US, a friend of mine ordered a Bushmaster AR15 a year ago, it cost him about 350 dollars in shipping costs, import fees and tax, but it was no problem to send it.
I live in The Netherlands and for stocks, no permit is needed, for actual (metal) parts or whole rifles, you need a permit, which I have, so no problem there either if does happen to be considered a firearm part.

The problem is (quoting what online stores like Widway-USA say) that "because of differences in import laws throughout the world we have decided not to ship outside of the US"

So you see, the problem is not whether they CAN ship to my country, but if they ARE WILLING TO ship to my country.
In our country, we have a very small (but avid) shooting community, so supplies are VERY limited here. importing opposes a problem often, or is very expensive, Which is a petty, because in the US you have all the good stuff. :eusa_wall: :icon_scratch:

but if you know any company that will ship riflestocks to Europe let me know.

Louis

SMOKEY
03-10-2010, 04:57
If memory serves me right the Corp used Unertl scopes 10x back then. And any rifle can be a "sniper" rifle, it is the shooter that makes it so. Put a slug like me on an M40 and you get mediocre results no matter how good the weapon put a trained shooter and that is when the battlefield boogie man comes to play.

chuckindenver
03-10-2010, 11:43
check the customs web sight..they say something a little bit different..
and your right,
am i welling to ship a gunpart to Europe??nope, not worth the headache, and the chance at getting in trouble, as its all in how they read the law,'
however, i am on your side, just not worth loosing all i have, as its the one who ships, not the one who receives.

Weasel
03-10-2010, 09:08
Redfield Accu-Trac's 3x9 were used in Vietnam on the M40's by the USMC. The ones I have seen also had synthetic stocks.

30cal_Fun
03-10-2010, 10:33
Redfield Accu-Trac's 3x9 were used in Vietnam on the M40's by the USMC. The ones I have seen also had synthetic stocks.

All the M40's had a wooden stock.

forgive me any ignorance, but do you mean to say "the M40's I have seen had synthetic stocks "? if yes, you are partially right. when the Marine Corps noticed that warping of the wooden stocks was very prone to weather changes, they wanted to change out for a synthetic stock, they opted for a McMillan HTG.
these "transition" rifles where what would eventually evolve to the M40A1. it still had the barreled action and scope set-up of the M40, but with the change to a synthetic stock. with the major difference being that the M40A1 was built at Quantico by the Marine armorers themselves.
here is a very clear picture of one of those "transition" M40's. you probably notice that even the barrel has been changed.

jmoore
03-11-2010, 02:08
"Transition" M40? Where?:icon_lol: Oh, I can't stand it! Sorry, BSully!

30cal_Fun
03-11-2010, 07:57
"Transition" M40? Where?:icon_lol: Oh, I can't stand it! Sorry, BSully!

I'm not saying a "transition m40" is an official term, just a word I used to describe the process. I was merely pointing out there wasn't a clear "change" or "switch" from the M40 to the M40A1. They used M40's and re-barreled them, put them in a new stock etc.
I am saying that the M40A1 evolved out of the original M40 with the changing of parts, and that they didn't just threw away the old M40's and started making new M40A1's from scratch.

Bsully
03-11-2010, 10:39
30cal,
you are correct in the "transitional" state of the M40 to M40A1 as the M40A1 was a weapon system before the Unertl 10x and Unertl base was adopted. Much as the M40A3 was a system in transition before it became the M40A5. However, jmoore is specifically referring to the fact that the rifle Gunny is holding in the picture is not a transitional M40, hence the "where" question. Goes to show the devil is in the details.

30cal_Fun
03-11-2010, 11:14
To me it looks like it has a Redfield scope, rings and base, a Remington 700 (clip-slotted) receiver but a heavy barrel and a McMillan stock. please point out where this NOT an M40-M40A1? :icon_scratch:

Bsully
03-11-2010, 11:43
30cal
Check that serial number location, details man, details. That rifle was built for Gunny by the RTE shop now PWS upon his retirement. Built out of a post 64 Winchester Model 70 .308 National Match rifle, serial number is 859363. How do I know it is a 308 national match? Again, details. The distinctive cut on the receiver just aft the ejection port below the scope mount. It indicates the rifle is/was a clip slotted 308 national match Post 64 rifle.

30cal_Fun
03-11-2010, 12:08
30cal
Check that serial number location, details man, details. That rifle was built for Gunny by the RTE shop now PWS upon his retirement. Built out of a post 64 Winchester Model 70 .308 National Match rifle, serial number is 859363. How do I know it is a 308 national match? Again, details. The distinctive cut on the receiver just aft the ejection port below the scope mount. It indicates the rifle is/was a clip slotted 308 national match Post 64 rifle.

I stand corrected, your absolutely right.
On closer inspection, thats not a Remington 700.
I new the photo, but always assumed it was a Remington. how did you now that? is there an article that explains the rifle in question? I don't know much about serial numbers I have to admit.

Thanks for the info, I would like to know some more info on the rifle if you have it.

Louis

Bsully
03-11-2010, 12:31
Would love to have it but alas. Have a sister rifle from the same small contract run, also a team gun but in its original trim. It would take an uninletted early smear pattern stock as the Corps was receiving at the time to make even a look-a-like. Not gonna happen any time soon unless someone out there knows where one is hanging about. Or a vintage commercial smear pattern for a Model 70 from the time. Dont think anything is written about the rifle anywhere ,only the picture in the public domain now and one of Gunny in the shop with the rifle when they presented it to him.

jmoore
03-12-2010, 12:54
Sorry about my last post, there.

Bsully had clued me in to that picture not a week previous, so it was just too funny to pass up.

I thought it best for him to "spill the beans", though!

No super secret sniper master am I!

30cal_Fun
03-12-2010, 06:22
HAHA, you both got me there :icon_lol:
I already had to swallow all my pride to admit I mistaked it for a Remington.
still, good you let him take the honer of pointing it out.

If anyone has any more M40 stock info, I WOULD like to know.