PDA

View Full Version : M45A1 Phased Out

Mike Josephic
10-06-2016, 02:13
I read in the Marine Times that the front line units that have been using this
weapon for almost four years will get their wish to change to the Glock 19.
Apparently, they were the only group in the Corps using .45 ACP and this was creating
logistics issues. Also, the soldiers kept repeating their preference for the Glock, even
though it is 9mm, so the decision was made.

Many complained about the weight (it's a heavy beast with that forward rib and all
stainless), the safety and other controls, etc. This is a new generation of fighters and
they don't have the love of the 1911 types that we had. As to what will happen to the
16,000 already purchased, your guess is as good as mine.

bruce
10-06-2016, 03:51
Understand the devotion to the 1911. Have two. First pistol ever bought was a Colt Ser. 70 Commander. But, the men doing the fighting are who matter. The Glock 19 is one of the all time great pistols. The 9mm especially loaded up to full NATO standard is a extremely good round. Lots and lots of people on the receiving end are quiet evidence of just how effective it is. Sincerely. bruce.

PhillipM
10-06-2016, 03:54
More tales of Glock leg to follow

pmclaine
10-06-2016, 11:46
Hopefully, if Nov 8 goes right, they will become a CMP offering.

Art
10-06-2016, 01:58
Contrary to our opinions, most troops today don't care for M1911 pistols. They've gotten used to pistols that are easier to maintain, have a simpler manual of arms and are usually lighter to boot. The M16 family of weapons isn't really detested by the men carrying them either. Our son packed an M4 in hostile environments from Minot N.D. to Iraq which covers the gamut of conditions from frozen tundra to nasty hot desert and really has no complaints about the weapon and he's a vintage military weapons buff. The M4 which most of troopies now carry is short, fairly light and it can be accessorized to hell and gone. In fact the M16 is now derisively referred to as "the musket" by a lot of soldiers, Marines and military security people because its viewed as being too long and bulky.

I see the military is going to upgrade all M4s to the M4A1 configuration which means getting rid of that stupid 3 shot burst feature and going back to semi auto/full auto. That means the M4 is going to be standard for a long time to come.

The CMP has thousands of M1911 pistols that they aren't allowed to sell and the government is prohibited by law from destroying. If they aren't scrapped the pistols in the OP will wind up in limbo at Anniston with the other retired M1911s.

Shooter5
10-07-2016, 01:33
https://www.marinecorpstimes.com/articles/marines-opt-for-9mm-over-45-caliber-pistols-for-special-operators

While on active duty, I usually had the priviledge of choosing from several sidearms, the most common being the M9, several Glock models, and the M1911A1 (and occassionally several other makes/models). I personally like the 1911, have many years of experience with it, like the caliber, and perhaps most importantly, can handle it competently - something difficult to learn and master quickly and safely for many young troops unaccustomed to its unique mode of operation compared to features they are most likely familiar and comfortable with like, say, the M9.
By OIF 4, I decided to use Glocks nearly exclusively due to various factors, chief among them was parts/ammo/magazine compatibility with others in the unit, in addition to double or more mag capacity. Not a small factor in remote locations. The argument for 45 over 9 due to power is simply facile, IMHO. ANY pistol caliber is essentially weak compared to rifle calibers and do not present significant advantage one to another. Shot placement is paramount.
In this era, the 1911 is a bit of a dinosaur and like it or not, headed for the museum. Although, having said that, some are still on active duty and recently I occassionally carried one on my latest and last deployment.