PDA

View Full Version : Questions on M1903 Springfield & M1903 Remington Rifles

salish
08-26-2016, 05:36
Hello,

I am new to these boards and I'd like to say hello, and I would like to ask for opinions on some of my military surplus rifles.

This post is about one of my two M1903 rifles. The is my very first rifle, a M1903 Springfield made by Remington in 1942. I received this rifle from my father on my 17th birthday, way back in 1971. I've always treasured this rifle but I've never been into milsurp rifles until the past couple of years. I am attaching photos and I'd like to know if this rifle is all original or if there are parts from other rifles included. Also, now that I have begun to handload again I'm curious as to how many grooves the barrel has and what the twist rate is. And which type of bullets are best used for these rifles. I have read that M2 ball ammo was what was used for both the M1903 and M1 Garand in WW2. Are there any things different about the Remington as opposed to the models from the Springfield armory?

edit: I had several more photos to attach but cannot do so. Sorry.

Thank you,
Cliff

JimF
08-26-2016, 05:47
Others are sure to inform you of some "particulars" about your rifle . . . .

Allow me to start by saying "welcome" to these boards . . . . AND by stating that the upper band of your rifle was NOT made by Remington, but by Springfield Armory.

The "tell-tale" is the "H" marking on the bayonet lug . . . denoting "Hardened" in cyanide.

Better pics would be in order, Cliff . . . . . --Jim

mhb
08-26-2016, 05:53
built by Remington were essentially identical to the rifles built by SA and RIA (from which facility Remington received the original production machinery and some parts).
The Remington 1903 barrels were 4-grooved, with the standard 10" pitch, which will handle the entire range of available cal. .30 bullets up to 220 grains.
The M2 with nominal 152 grain bullet was the standard ball ammunition from the late 1930s until the cal. 30 was dropped from production, but a large proportion of the ammunition issued for combat during WW2 was the M2AP, with an approximately 168 grain bullet.
The cal. .30 match ammunition was loaded with a boattailed bullet of ca. 173 grains, and the currently available match bullets between 155 and 175 grains all perform excellently in the 1903.

mhb - Mike

Kragrifle
08-27-2016, 05:31
Try to show the barrel date, any letters stamped in the wood on the left side of the stock behind the trigger, and look for R stamped in any of the metal parts. Your 1903 looks like an early rifle.

Merc
08-27-2016, 06:09
There's a lot of good information about the M1903 on:

www.m1903.com

Merc

Rick the Librarian
08-27-2016, 06:13
Remington M1903s were developed at the behest of the British in 1940 but the contract was taken over by the U.S. Army in 1941, before any rifles were produced. The first few thousand rifles were produced by the end of 1941. Most were produced in 1942 with a few produced in early 1943, when the type was replaced by the later M1903A3. The first rifles resembled earlier Springfield M1903s but, as shortcuts were taken, parts were replaced by those easier to produce. About 348,000 were produced.

To be able to tell much about your rifle, we'd need the following:

1) Serial number (or at least the first few digits)

2) Barrel date and manufacturer's initials (located just aft of the front sight)

3) Stock markings (look on left side above trigger guard, for starters)

4) Bolt markings (look on top/bottom of bolt handle

5) Look at the right side of the rifle carefully from muzzle to buttstock. All the parts should be marked with an "R" stamp.

All I can tell from your pictures is the handguard is a replacement, as is possibly the stock, and the rifle MAY have been refinished.

My first M1903 was a Remington, also - #3,283,084, purchased at a local department store in 1967 for $39.95. :)

salish
08-27-2016, 08:11
Guys, thank you for your responses to my post. I apologize for not having more photos for you to see. I did have several additional photos yesterday afternoon, but as I was uploading I discovered I could only load 5 pics at a time. It was late in the afternoon and I had to leave work so I couldn't add any more. I'm going to try and upload the remaining pics in subsequent "replies" under this thread topic. Anyway, sorry about that. Hopefully, I can get the additional pics loaded today. Just so I don't complicate things I'll make my post on my second M1903 in another thread.

Thank you,
Cliff

UPDATE: Ok, I think I've got what I need to continue on. Pics are beneath text. JimF, you are correct, the upper barrel band has a "U" stamped on it, and thanks for the welcome. MHB, thanks for the barrel and bore info. Just the kind of info I was looking for. Merc, thanks for the 1903 link. Kragrifle & Rick, please see the photos below. There are no stock markings whatsoever on this rifle. I've been over it several times, even with a magnifier and I cannot find a stamp or cartouche. I guess the stock must have been refinished at some point. I've had it since 1971 so it was done at some point earlier. What puzzles me is that stock refinishes usually leave the wood a little lighter colored, don't they? The only stampings that I can find with an "R" are on the bolt and on the right side of the rear sight ladder and base. My rifle is in the 3 million range, also.

Thanks again,
Cliff

Rick the Librarian
08-27-2016, 09:51
...or just post them below me on this same thread. Sometimes you have to use 2-3 "posts" to get all the pictures posted. Better than starting another thread on the same subject.

JimF
08-27-2016, 11:01
Cliff . . . .

It's the LOWER band that has the "U" stamp (meaning this band is to be installed with the "U" on the RIGHT side.)

It's the UPPER band that has the "H" stamp.

Rick the Librarian
08-27-2016, 11:14
Are there any markings on the left side of the stock near the small of the stock?

The sight binding screw is a replacement and it appears the barrel and receiver have been refinished. The barrel is likely original.

salish
08-28-2016, 09:36
Thanks for the clarification, JimF. Rick, there are no markings that I can see on the left side of the stock, anywhere.Thanks.

Rick the Librarian
08-28-2016, 12:15
Probably a replacement, then.

salish
08-29-2016, 09:49
Ok, thanks Rick.