PDA

View Full Version : SRS check please and ?? on getting the SRS book?

Discus420
08-11-2016, 04:20
SN check please SPRINGFIELD TRAPDOOR CARBINE .45-.70. SERIAL NUMBER 345245

I am looking at buying a SRS book and I see there are 4 volumes. Obviously these are very expensive. Do volumes 1234 all contain different information or are they the same base information with updates? The one I am looking at is volume 3 and its 900$

thanks again for all the help

Tom Trevor
08-11-2016, 06:00
No listing for your number they go from 241 to 251. But they are carbines. Not much to comment on book prices as a lot of us bought them in the twenty dollar range.Actually you will find five books as V-4 had two volumes 1995 then 1999. Yes they all contain new information.

Kragrifle
08-14-2016, 07:30
Books show up now and then. Price is what someone will pay. It is a shame, but when the current owner of the data passes, all the data will be lost forever as there does not appear to be a succession plan.

Dick Hosmer
08-14-2016, 07:57
Books show up now and then. Price is what someone will pay. It is a shame, but when the current owner of the data passes, all the data will be lost forever as there does not appear to be a succession plan.

Frank Mallory, the founder of SRS, had such a succession plan, which, for a time, seemed like it would work out well for everyone. Unfortunately it later turned out that - in my opinion - the one particular friend chosen was not a good 'fit' at all. I do not question his research ability - it is his attitude and general modus operandi.

5MadFarmers
08-14-2016, 09:37

No. Time is on our side.

When these become affordable. (http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=302018614866&_sacat=0)

Then the rules change....

Dick Hosmer
08-14-2016, 11:15
If you want to break the copyright - which - as we are both authors - I would think you would be strongly against?

5MadFarmers
08-14-2016, 12:33
If you want to break the copyright - which - as we are both authors - I would think you would be strongly against?

I've already scanned the SRS books and have them in digital format. Volumes 1-3 anyway. Handy to have them in a spreadsheet.

That's not the point though - that's a high speed microfilm scanner. The original film at NARA doesn't have a copyright. With a laptop, external hard drive, and one of them one could rip through the NARA film in no time flat. Then process it in the comfort of their cave. No different from all the film I have from other places. Outside of that thing would scan a lot faster than I can photograph. As an added bonus the control software cleans the images and does OCR automatically. Spend a week at NARA feeding it reels. I know what the sets are.

Place I used to work at had them for basically the same thing - digitizing old microfilm and fiche.