PDA

View Full Version : Front Sight Problem

dannym
08-08-2016, 09:13
I'm swapping out the front sight off my 20 inch Colt Hbar. It is a standard post front sight, I found a replacement at a show. The replacement was a take off and already drilled, I took a chance on the holes matching, and they did. The problem is the taper pins, they are opposite, old sight to the new sight. My question, can I just drill it straight out and pin it, or do I need to keep looking.

k arga
08-09-2016, 05:29
you could use straight pins but they would need to be very tight, I think the taper pin takes out any play that you might get with a straight pin. good luck.

Punch the Clown
08-11-2016, 06:16
The pins should always insert from right to left. The odds of the sight holes lining up exactly are almost impossible. You may have to ream the holes with a 2/0 reamer from the right to the left. if you have to ream too far just used oversized pins.

Col. Colt
08-15-2016, 10:43
Used front sight with a non-standard, opposite taper - forget it - front sight alignment and gas port alignment are too important. Get another front sight - new if possible - and ream for a correct alignment/fit with the sight base "straight up" and aligned with the gas port. The front sight will probably not be straight if you jury rig it with straight pins, and the gas port needs to align properly, as well.
SAW Sales (Specialized Armament Warehouse) is Colt's Full Auto/Police distributor and they have new Colt parts and can do the job for you if you want to be sure it's right. CC

dannym
08-15-2016, 09:41
Thanks everyone for your input, I'm probably gonna wait until I can get some one with the know how to get it done. There's a guy locally that I think can do the job, at least he'll tell ya if he can or can't do the job, no BS, but I will check out SAW Sales.

S.B.
12-09-2016, 03:24
Colt used taper pins for a good reason(no wobble).
Steve