PDA

View Full Version : Scope for 44 mag handgun?

Major Tom
07-12-2016, 03:43
I have a Ruger redhawk with factory scope rings. I want to try a scope on it. Leupold makes a nice one, but is pricey. What would be a good scope, but less money? thank you

k arga
07-12-2016, 05:17
buy the best scope you can because they will all fail sooner or later from that recoil, leupold is good for life.

Emri
07-13-2016, 06:34
Look into Nikon. Excellent scopes for the money spent. Same lifetime warrantee as Leupold.

Oyaji
07-18-2016, 06:43
Nikon may have the same "lifetime warranty" as Leopold however, it is doubtful that their customer service is as good. Fast responsive service and quick turnaround times are a hallmark of the Leopold's company. Not only that but, they are an American company home based in Beaverton, OR.

https://www.leupold.com/resources/leupold-gold-ring-full-lifetime-guarantee/

Mike Josephic
07-31-2016, 01:55
I scoped a .357 handgun once about 30 years ago. I never shot it much after that. Too bulky and after
a bit of practice I found I could do as well (out to 100 yards) with iron sights.

Also, most scopes do not hold up well to the recoil on a handgun from magnum rounds. Mine failed
after about 200 rounds (reticle was turning). The company who made those is out of business (Hutson).

If you "must have" go with Leopold. At lease you have lifetime replacement warranty and U.S. made.

Mike

Varmintpopper
12-09-2016, 07:47
I have a red dot scope on a 44 Super redhawk, works well. carry extra batteries though !
I have shot deer at about 100 + yds with it.

Good Shooting

Lindy

PhillipM
12-10-2016, 03:13
Let's make a deal! I have this Bushnell I bought 15-20 years ago after I found a forward scope mount for a 1903 Springfield. I put it in the mount, but never put the mount on the rifle. It may have a ring mark, but I doubt it since its never been fired.

Lifetime warrant to the original owner, which doesn't mention a receipt (gun show purchase) and the warranty card has never been filled out.

With just a quick look around, I found the box, but the scope is around here someplace. Let me know if you are interested.

Major Tom
12-10-2016, 05:01
Phillip, PM sent to you.

Johnny P
12-19-2016, 07:44
Aren't most Nikons made in the Philippines that just told the U.S. to get the hell out, they didn't need us any more? It would probably be OK to send money though.

AmBraCol
10-18-2017, 03:28
I have a Ruger redhawk with factory scope rings. I want to try a scope on it. Leupold makes a nice one, but is pricey. What would be a good scope, but less money? thank you

The Ruger scope (https://lifeundersky.com/best-spotting-scope-for-the-money-reviews/)rings will work great. I think, a 2X or 4X scope is all you need. In general the more you spend on a scope the better it will be. The eye relief is rather important, so try to get a scope that matches your 'hold of choice'. Can I be in your next film?? ....just kidding. 8) 8)

Dan in NH
10-24-2017, 05:11
I have a leupold on my S&W

Dan in NH
10-24-2017, 05:18
I'll try again. I've had a Leupold on my S&W 629 for years without a problem. And have put a lot of heavy reloads thru it.

Dan in NH
10-24-2017, 05:23
I also have a 2 contender barrels in .223 and 7-30 Waters calibers with Burris scopes on them. These scopes are very bright and clear.

Major Tom
12-27-2017, 08:13
Thank you for all your suggestions. I finally settled on a Leupold M8 2x satin black scope. Since they have a lifetime guarantee I see no problems in the future. The factory scope rings took awhile for me to mount correctly tho. I checked the rings alignment and did a little corrective action to align them perfectly. My Redhawk is the 7.5 inch barrel and with the scope weighs a lot.