PDA

View Full Version : Lyman Alaskan Question?

Punch the Clown
06-14-2016, 12:28
I've seen Alaskans with no prefix, an "A" prefix and a "B" prefix. What is the difference between them? Are any of them possibles for an 03A4? I've read many conflicting posts while doing searches. Thanks guys.

cplnorton
06-14-2016, 02:23
B is supposed to be military contract. I believe during the Korean War timeframe. Some books say both A and B serials, but usually you only see B.

I had a Brand new armory packed M81 or M82 scope. I think it was marked M81. But even though it said M81/82 on the outside and had the serial on the package, inside was a new condition B series Alaskan that matched that serial. I think it was dated from the mid 50's.

I personally am more a fan of the M73B1 on original or the M84 on a rebuild A4. But I don't think anyone would fault you if you put a B series on it, if you can find a good deal. The original parked 7/8 rings are sort of hard to find for them though. It's much easier to find the split top rings for the M84. :)

jgaynor
06-14-2016, 02:38
I've seen Alaskans with no prefix, an "A" prefix and a "B" prefix. What is the difference between them? Are any of them possibles for an 03A4? I've read many conflicting posts while doing searches. Thanks guys.

As far as the CMP is concerned the Lyman Alaskan is approved for VSN matches as a so-called "non-issued scope". In point of fact the A4 was designed around the Lyman Alaskan (militarized as the M73). Unfortunately for the US sniping effort Lyman was unable to obtain the necessary matched sets of lenses from Bausch and Lomb before M1903A4 production ended. A few M73 scopes were issued on M1C rifles but most of those were later modified to M81's (changed markings, added eyecup and added sunshade).

Note the pic below is from an Oct 43 Tech manual. The caption writer got the description of the scopes wrong. The Weaver 330C = M73B1 (upper rifle) The Lyman Alaskan = M73 (lower rifle)

Punch the Clown
06-16-2016, 05:51
I have the Alaskan "A". I also have the top split 7/8" redfield rings. I also have a 330c. I think I'm going to go with the 330 but I lost one of the rings (the rear one). I have no idea where it went. I think I have to post a WTB. Thanks again guys.

jgaynor
06-19-2016, 11:45
The ⅞" rings used to show up on eBay from time to time for not too much money. I would look there and also post a WTB ad in here. You just might find some one with an extra ring or a pair.